I am new. What do I do?

B

brodyguy

I am wanting to start shooting rifles.
I have a .22 rifle that is old, it is a Remington (no idea where the serial number is or any kind of model number).
It has significant damage to it on the stock. It has been broken and split.
I am considering repairing the gun, or buying another gun.

My question is,

What is a good starter rifle?
Should you buy used or new?
Is it worth it to fix a broken gun?

The rifle I have now is a family heir loom. I will be the 4th generation to hold it. It tends to just sit in the closet.

If there is someone out there who knows the Remington brand, could you help me try to identify this gun and its markings?

Thanks for all your help.

Some pictures would be a tremendous help, Remington made a lot of different .22's.

What Disapline?

Check out what disciplines are available in your area. Then try to talk directly to the match director and take their advice. You'll be better off in the long run. There are a few links on BRC home page. You can find the clubs that are closest to you, there. You may have trouble crossing the border to shoot matches.

Those old rifles....

"Family" heirloom firearms are a pleasure to behold. Almost every one of them show the "flavors" of the decades they endured....cracked stocks where they were soaked in oil and stood in corners....wood grain covered with Watkins furniture touchup....metallic smell from cold blue...

They stood in the corner, vigilant to real or perceived danger. We knew they would work at night because we shot them every day. If we were rifle "whisperers" these old rifles could sure tell us some tales. Sadly, we're not so we'll have to settle for running our fingers lightly over the worn stocks of these heroes and smile, partly in appreciation and partly in admiration.

Buy yourself another rifle and let this one alone.

Last edited:
.22 Look'n

"Family" heirloom firearms are a pleasure to behold. Almost every one of them show the "flavors" of the decades they endured....cracked stocks where they were soaked in oil and stood in corners....wood grain covered with Watkins furniture touchup....metallic smell from cold blue...

They stood in the corner, vigilant to real or perceived danger. We knew they would work at night because we shot them every day. If we were rifle "whisperers" these old rifles could sure tell us some tales. Sadly, we're not so we'll have to settle for running our fingers lightly over the worn stocks of these heroes and smile, partly in appreciation and partly in admiration.

:) Great Wilbur.......!:eek:

Brody, if a new rifle..........? .22Rimfire.............? Affordable and typically accurate/well made/perdy....
Check out the CZ line-up.......... Great little guns..! Have several.. Going after a crow or two this Sunday Evening with my CZ452 in 17Mach II......... FUN!
Here's the newer 455, switch barrel...... NEAT! ..>>> http://cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/

cale

Right again Wilbur

:) Great Wilbur.......!:eek:

Brody, if a new rifle..........? .22Rimfire.............? Affordable and typically accurate/well made/perdy....
Check out the CZ line-up.......... Great little guns..! Have several.. Going after a crow or two this Sunday Evening with my CZ452 in 17Mach II......... FUN!
Here's the newer 455, switch barrel...... NEAT! ..>>> http://cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/

cale

The CZ452 rimfire would be a great place to start......but who has any 22 rimfire ammo right now??

I just got back from Wally World and they have been out of 22 rf for a while.

Guess what, at Wally World I bought 2 gallons RV antifreeze, made in USA, a garden hose, made in the USA, and some bird seed, grown in the USA. WOW!!

I think that fixing the rifle might be a project best done after getting a little more experience with rifles and shooting. The suggestion to buy a CZ was a good one. I would follow up on that. Where I live, we have hunter safety classes that are a requirement for getting a hunting license. I don't know what is available where you are, but if something similar is available, I suggest that as a first step. We tend to forget how much we know (relative to someone with no experience) when answering basic questions. There are things that we take for granted that a new shooter may not have any idea about, and IMO taking an organized firearms safety course is always a good place to start. Do you have any friends that shoot? Perhaps one of them could take you to the range and let you shoot one or more of his rifles. This would give you a little experience so that you might do a better job of selecting your first rifle. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Boyd

Still searching

My cousin is an avid rifle shooter and hunter and has always been licences since he was a kid.
My rifle that I currently have is nothing "special" in terms of special memories. The muzzle has already been replaced in the last 20 years and needs it again as it is totally destroyed.

My uncle has recommended a 222 or a 223. I said I wanted something with a bit more range and accuracy than the 22s.

Any comments on these two?
And again should I go for a new gun or a used one?

My family heirlooms are Stevens, Mossberg, Western Field, and Monkey Wards. All my family could afford. Probably the only ones that I won't sell.

I hear ya Butch. Still got my Grandpa's WESTERN FIELD 12 gauge pump. Hung over the Fireplace until he died in 1970.

I like Wilbur's suggestion ,with one addition. Buy yourself another Rifle,but keep the one you got.

Glenn

Last edited:
Get it to a gunsmith before you shoot it. Call you local gun stores and ask to talk to a gunsmith.

You need a mentor.
"Mentor has been adopted in English as a term meaning someone who imparts wisdom to and shares knowledge with a less experienced colleague."

Find some one in your area to go shooting .

I still have a bolt action 12 gauge shot gun that I remember my father using to hunt ducks on Lake Champlain .....;)

Glenn

Is the 22 the right gun then?

Get a rifle and start shooting > you will find the correct path.

With this all in mind then, is the 22 the right gun to start with or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Keep in mind i will only be going to the local range. I have no interest in hunting.

Thanks for all the info.

Ruger 10/22

Any sites on best performing ammo in these little guns...

Remington

So the gun is actually a Remington Nylon 76. It is a lever action gun and it appears to have a long magazine. There is a scope on it that says Bushnell Banner .22.
After doing some research online it appears as tho this gun may be somewhat rare.

Cant get the images to upload right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 173
Back