Hunter BR Class in St. Louis

C

Chromie

I am interested in the factory and hunter classes they shoot at the Benchrest club of St. Louis. There is a match in Feb, I plan on attending. In the mean time I would like to know from folks that either shoot there or know something about the class. I have read what they have on their website, but I am interested in more info. Could someone please point me in the right direction for more info. I'm looking for needed gear, accuracy standards, types of rifles that work good, that type of info. I have a Rem. 700 .270 with a Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II I plan to shoot if that is even in the ballpark of the quality of rifle being shot in those classes. The rifle will shoot fairly good, 5/8-3/4" avg. groups with Sierra MK 135's. I'm thinking this is going to be good enough to get the feel for the competition. OK fellas, am I even close?

GO!!!

Have a blast.

And be prepared top experience a whole nuther world of accuracy :)

IMO buy !!NOTHING!! until you've seen the gear, it'd be like trying to put together a Top Fueler from scratch attempting to arrive with the right setup. If these are registered HBR Matches and if the competitors are halfway proficient you'll see purpose-built rifles of all sorts. And from this you'll leave simply BRIMMING with plans and idea'rs.

THEN you can set'cher wee feet on the slippery slope and........

and...........

and........................

let gooooooo!........!.........!.........!...........!

Or not.

No loss :)

Just load up your very best and get 'er done.

enjoy

al

Go and Shoot?

Are you saying don't just go to watch but go and shoot?

here is a link.

http://www.shootingstl.com/drupal/content/benchrest-competition

I read 3/4" @100 was competitive, and figured this was an entry level class with good ol' boys and their deer rifles.
I hadn't even considered purpose built rifles for this class...sorry for the neub questions. Just trying to figure this all out.

Go and SHOOT..... at least bring the gun so once you're comfortable you CAN shoot if you want to. :) But don't try to get all set up with a more appropriate rifle. Don't spend any money yet just bring what'cha got and be prepared to shoot what'cha brung.

I'm saying these are nice guys.

I'm also saying that what's listed on that site is pure-dee Capital 'B' Bench Rest. There is a "Factory Class" for rifles like yours but there are also BR classes requiring purpose-built rifles where your rifle will not compete. You can shoot it, but you'll have no chance of winning or even placing. Nor could you hope to put together something that would until you've seen the stuff.

Another thing. I got off on the wrong foot with your verbiage, I misread your intent :)

MY BAD...

When you wrote "hunter class" I interpreted it as "Hunter Class Bench Rest" (HBR) which definitely requires specialized equipment. You will be set up for any of the "Factory" classes including the new factory category listed under Hunter Class. You will have fun no matter what. If you're interested in accuracy and innovation JUST GO!

al

OK it's on now!

I got a response from Wayne Corley, last night. I will be loading up the best I can get out of my rifle before March 17, and go shoot.

Now I have to get all I can out of my rifle and loads. of to the range for more load testing for me today.
Anyone have a favorite .270 win. load for such a game? I know there are better cartridges for this, I'm going to shoot what I have for now though.

The rifle will shoot fairly good, 5/8-3/4" avg. groups with Sierra MK 135's. I'm thinking this is going to be good enough to get the feel for the competition.

Is that three- or five-shot groups? If the latter, it sounds like you will be very competitive. Regardless, I think you'll have a great time. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, remember that the recoil from a stoutly-loaded .270 might get your attention before the day is over. :D

Is that three- or five-shot groups? If the latter, it sounds like you will be very competitive. Regardless, I think you'll have a great time. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, remember that the recoil from a stoutly-loaded .270 might get your attention before the day is over. :D

That was 3 shot groups.
I shot 5 shot groups today, with a best groups of .912 with 52.5 gn of IMR 4350 CCI BR primers and Sierra 135 gn Match Kings.....
Can anyone offer a better load or powder to try in this rifle. I see that 5 shot group shooting is a whole different ballgame than 3 shots.

.............. I see that 5 shot group shooting is a whole different ballgame than 3 shots.

KatCHING!!!!

This is where the rubber meets the road ;)

There ain't NO SUCH THANG as a "3-shot group"........ 3 shots are for rough testing, if the three shots are touching or in a hole then you might go for a GROUP, otherwise don't waste the barrel! A GROUP is minimum 5 rds with an AGG being the aggregate score of 5 of these groups.

I won't presume to give you any advice on the 270 loads except "try different bullets." If you have some lighter ones maybe??? Really, it's all about what your rifle likes. There are no rules IMO, except that lighter bullets are inherently more accurate at short range due to their construction, and they're easier to shoot.

I hope you have the time of your life.

Well I went to the BR match last weekend, @ STL. I had a great time. I followed Wayne around all afternoon, and got a good idea of how the matches are run. Wayne was a big help, in keeping things in prospective. I've given up on the .270win plan as well. I don't think I want to shoot that thing 50 or so times in one day. I found out there is no minimum cartridge size so I'm taking my Savage .223 to shoot in the factory class instead. Varmint for Score is what catches my interest after seeing the BR match. March 17 I think is the match date. I'll be there, hope to make a decent showing or at least try to keep from making too many mistakes. Now whats the trick to scoring good with 6x scope power?

skeetlee- Wayne pointed out that you were at the match Saturday. I aimed to talk with you, but I didn't want to bug you in the middle of the match and I left just as you guys were finishing up. How did you end up finishing?

Last edited by a moderator:
chromie
my mind was a little uneasy. i arrived in st louis on friday at about noon. shortly after i made it to the club house my father called and told me grandma passed away. i shot saturday but leftafter the match sat afternoon. i didnt shoot real well but i did manage to get the small group award. .125 or something like that. my buddy jim hart and greg king however had it figured out. i just couldnt get focused. glad you made it down. lee

Now whats the trick to scoring good with 6x scope power?

A lot of guys get hung up on the scope power, but the answer is pretty simple. You align the crosshairs on the circle just like you would with a 36x power scope. You also have the added advantage of always being able to see your windflags in the scope. Maybe this answer is a little cheeky, but it's true.

Now that's the way to go....

Well I went to the BR match last weekend, @ STL. I had a great time. I followed Wayne around all afternoon, and got a good idea of how the matches are run. Wayne was a big help, in keeping things in prospective. I've given up on the .270win plan as well. I don't think I want to shoot that thing 50 or so times in one day. I found out there is no minimum cartridge size so I'm taking my Savage .223 to shoot in the factory class instead. Varmint for Score is what catches my interest after seeing the BR match. March 17 I think is the match date. I'll be there, hope to make a decent showing or at least try to keep from making too many mistakes. Now whats the trick to scoring good with 6x scope power?

skeetlee- Wayne pointed out that you were at the match Saturday. I aimed to talk with you, but I didn't want to bug you in the middle of the match and I left just as you guys were finishing up. How did you end up finishing?

You're right on track going to your first match. Doesn't matter how you finish; it's what you learn while competing. You can read a multitude of accuracy books, get sage advise from friends and other competitors, but in the long run you will learn more about shooting and your rifle while in competition than any other way...and you'll have a blast doing it. Over time, you'll learn your rifle's capabilities as well as your reloading results. You will come to a point where you will be able to make a knowledgable decision as to whether the sport is enticing enough for you to move up to a benchrest class rifle.

All the best of luck and...put'm in the 10 ring....virg.

Back