how to store 22

P

Pops

I have come apon 2 cases of Lapua Midas L lot # 5289g Stored in a garage for a unknown length of time , Is there anything that could go wrong ? What would be a fair price for these ?

Miss fires and squib loads.

Ammo is supposed to be stored at a cool constant temperature in a dark place.

Temperature swings in a garage over a long period of time can and will cause problems with the ammo.

I ask these question in all earnestness. What is of the most concern, the wax melting on the bullets or powder and primer deterioration?

I keep mine in a drawer in my air conditioned office, well and good. I have to ask, how will carrying it to the range in a styrofoam cooler without ice keep the heat out for very long when it is 105. Is the ammo really that sensitive?

Are we talking about a few hours or a few months?

Concho Bill

Sounds to me like he is concerned that the ammo he is thinking about buying WAS stored properly....and if it is OK to buy.

I think the ammo in that series of lot numbers was in the erra of some of the crap Laupa was putting out if I am remembering right.

Charlie

I won’t pretend to have any answers to this query, but I can relate my experience with some ammo stored under extreme conditions.

A couple of years ago I found nearly a case of Eley Tenex which I had misplaced/lost after I had taken a hiatus from shooting. It had been packed away in the corner of my garage for nearly 20 years and had been subjected to temps below freezing in the winter and well above 100 in the summer. The lead was discolored and some of the rounds had icicles of wax hanging off them.

I’ve fired approximately 300-400 rounds of this in various rimfires over the last year or two without a squib or misfire and while it’s not the preferred round in most of my rimfires….it has displayed some very good accuracy in a couple.

Can someone explain how this is possible? I wouldn’t have believed it could happen, but I’ve actually experienced it in this case. It has also made me wish I had the same firearm and testing results from 20 years ago to compare the changes….unfortunately, I don’t.

Like Mr. Wynne, I would welcome some comments or other instances of the opposite affect from poor storage methods.

see if you can get a bit to shoot. that will tell you right now weather or not it is OK.

Sometime around 1999-2000 or so I was at the Borden range in Indiana. When I left, I put all my equipment in the trunk of my car, and for whatever reason, I removed only the gun and left everything else, including the ammo. I did not shoot anywhere for a period of almost three years. I had left a couple of bricks of very good Lapua in the trunk of that car. Approximately three years later, back at the Borden range, I pulled that ammo out of the trunk to shoot. There was no detrimental effect whatsoever. It picked up right where it had left off as if it had been put in there yesterday. I do not reccomend storing ammo in such conditions. I have noticed a lot of people using ice chests to store ammo and most still try to keep it in the shade during a match. An ice chest, without ice, will get quite hot and humid on a hot, humid day. The best you can do, is to try to keep the ammo out of extreme conditions during a match. I think there are acute effects to temps, etc, but the ammo will settle back to it's original state at least most of the time.

As far as buying ammo stored in the garage. It probably was not a prized lot and, therefore, will probably not be great ammo. Most likely, it will go "pop" everytime and may be as good as average lower grade ammo. I guess it depends on the price. Shouldn't be more than around $3-4 a box to make it interesting.

Back