How to „Glue in“ an action?

)Stephan

Dear friends,

any tipps / step by step guidance on how to glue in an action the proper way?

In germany it seems to be very unconventional to have a glued action - even the more popular gunsmiths tell me they don‘t do it and also they don‘t recommend it.

So I guess I have to do it myself..

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Projects:
Kelbly 6PPC HV
Anschutz BR50 LV
Custom 308Win (Rem700 Action)

I did already buy some JB Weld so I guess I am good to go..? :)

Best regards from medieval germany,
Stephan

I will be interested in this too.

Accuracy international glues their actions to their chassis. They use bolts as well.

It is basically the same as doing a pillar bed job, you just don't use a release agent. JB weld does a good job on a glue in. Of course if you are doing a straight glue in you don't need to install pillars.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
so if there are already pillars installed (and bedding was done already as well) you „just glue it in“ on top of the bedding with a very thin coating of JB?
My biggest concern is getting glue in the trigger..

TY
Stephan

Hi Steve,
so if there are already pillars installed (and bedding was done already as well) you „just glue it in“ on top of the bedding with a very thin coating of JB?

TY
Stephan
Rough the existing bedding up good..AND the action!!..and don't induce stress while the JB cures. That's pretty much it from where you are. A course sandblast or just a dremel tool for roughing the action below the stock line works. Frankly though, if you've got pillars already, I'd be very tempted to not rough up the action...just because. I actually prefer the glue and screw method over just glued or just screwed. Glue in's rarely come loose but I've seen it happen, while the guy was leading a National championship match. It ended his day(s)! Glued and under tension, it ain't coming loose IME.

I agree with Mike, if it has been properly pillar bedded you are probably good to go clean everything good after you rough up the bedding to remove any oil and dust and apply a thin coat of glue and let it setup

Let‘s wait and see.. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpeg
    IMG_3514.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3515.jpeg
    IMG_3515.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3516.jpeg
    IMG_3516.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3517.jpeg
    IMG_3517.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3518.jpeg
    IMG_3518.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3521.jpeg
    IMG_3521.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3522.jpeg
    IMG_3522.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3523.jpeg
    IMG_3523.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3524.jpeg
    IMG_3524.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 23

TY
Stephan
On the Kelbly, remove the trigger hanger and trigger before doing the glue in. Then reinstall the trigger hanger.

FWIW, a well done pillar bedded gun will shoot as well as a glue-in. Just because a gun is a glue-in doesn't mean it's stress free. With a glue-in, you'll never know or be able to check it for stress.

Good shootin' -Al

Hi Al, thank you very much!
If you do not tighten the screws, I guess there will be no stress?
Any tipps on how to check for stress?

TY
Stephan

Thanks a lot! Your feedback is really highly appreciated.

I will go to the range the day after tomorrow and check if the gun still shoots straight ;-)
Tomorrow I will torque both action screws to ~0.6NM // ~5 inch pounds after the glue is hardened completely. (I guess it will hold for the rimfire).

If results are good I will continue with the R700 - application of the glue was really easier than expected (mine wasn‘t runny at all).

TY
Stephan

Hi Al, thank you very much!
If you do not tighten the screws, I guess there will be no stress?
Any tipps on how to check for stress?

TY
Stephan
Stephan, if you're doing a glue in on a previously pillar bedded rifle...check to see how much the barrel moves when the front and rear screws are loosened up. This will tell you how much stress there is in the bedding job already.

I use a dial indicator devise that clamps on the barrel with the indicator on the stock. A magnetic base on the barrel also works well. On a well done pillar bedding job, I like to see .001-.0015 max movement. You want to have the gun on the butt and check the movement by loosening and tightening one screw at a time. Here's a few pics for reference of how I do it.

Good shootin' -Al

LNte8Nnh.jpg

iT1YhaHh.jpg

aVV7mwxh.jpg

3M05ohvh.jpg

Quick update:
Rifle performed well at the range today (not exceptional).
I did not bring the SEB Rest etc. but just a BiPod for testing and thats why I feel ok with „well performance“ for today.

Will provide an update next week.

Quick update:
Rifle performed well at the range today (not exceptional).
I did not bring the SEB Rest etc. but just a BiPod for testing and thats why I feel ok with „well performance“ for today.

Will provide an update next week.
Seems to work fine with rest and bags :)

Back