How good is Hornady .223 Brass

E

ehkempf

I normally use Lapua brass, but I found 9 50pcs bags at our local Gander Mountain, they are on sale due to the going out of business sales. Will I get the same or at least close to, accuracy I get out of the Lapua How about reload count?

Ed

I normally use Lapua brass, but I found 9 50pcs bags at our local Gander Mountain, they are on sale due to the going out of business sales. Will I get the same or at least close to, accuracy I get out of the Lapua How about reload count?

Ed

The heads on Hornady cases are soft - it is poor brass.

Not sure about the 223 brass. I've had very poor results with 6.5 Creedmoor brass(way too soft), decent results with 300 Win Mag and great results with 338 Lapua.

Just an update on Hornady brass. I was speaking with Neil Davies of Hornady earlier this week as he was visiting and touring our shop. I asked about the soft heads on the 6.5 Creedmoor brass in particular. He said there were some early run cases that were less than optimal for case hardness, leading to poor longevity. He told me that the issue has been corrected. I purchased a bunch of Hornady Match 140 ELD ammo as well as a several hundred new cases for reloading almost two years ago. Unfortunately you only get one chance to make a first impression. I may try some of the current production cases and see how they compare to the early ones. I have recently read about several shooters who have gotten ten loadings with moderate charges before any primer pockets loosened. People also praise the Peterson Cartridge Company brass for the Creedmoor. They recently introduced "fat neck" Creedmoor brass for hand loaders who like to neck turn to consistent diameter, as many brands of Creedmoor brass are too thin to allow proper neck turning. I may order a some from both sources and see how they stack up.

Back