How do we increase membership today?

When you join

New potential shooters are totally confused as to what rules they have to compete under , what weapon is suitable , how to enter a competition , Etc ,Etc and the list goes on and on

the NBRSA, you get a rule book. How many shooters read the book cover to cover??? I feel that a new shooter should put forth the effort to be as informed as possible. Yes, they will have questions that most people are more than willing to answer. But they also must realize that people can get impatient when the answer is right in front of them in the book.
Richard

time to react

We need to stop bitching about each other, put all feelings aside and come up with real ideas. There is no question in my mind about why the NBRSA is the way it is today. No one wants to get along and function as an organization. It is time to stop attacking each other and unite for the greater good. Lets get real answers for the problems at hand.

Why do some of you not want change?

Do we not want to keep as many ranges open as we can?
Do we not want to attact as many shooters as we can?
Do we not want to grow as an organization?
In 20 years who will be running the ranges that we all shoot?

The object is not for the sport to die with everyone today but to make sure the sport lives forever.

Lets wake up, smell the coffee and take action!!!!

I'm sure this option has been addressed....

But I stiil believe that if the NBRSA were to "Advertise" in the mainstream media such as NASCAR an the NHRA do, I feel that quite possibly membership could rise in many regions. I remember when I first started back in 2004, I thought benchrest was just a term used when shhoting from a bench. Then I happened upon this site but not many people still may not know about it or even have a computer so why not advertise a small spot on local tv tellin people about it to help give them a better idea of what it's all about.

Just my two cents

JD

We could all probably write a book....

About our ups and downs in this sport. I haven't seen too much consideration given to the rules, perhaps for good reason. There are so many nuances and mis-conceptions, IMO, that maybe there is some connection with active competitors and their desire to stay on board over a long time period.

I have seen several (5 or 6) shooters leave the sport over rule interpretation that were not in favor of the shooter; some were by the book; some were SFTP decisions that could have gone either way; some were just plain wrong.

Even though it is difficult to microdefine BR rules, ambiguity may be leading some into hard feelings that might be avoided with additional definition. (not exactly KISS, but maybe something to look at a little closer)

Every new competitor need to shoot in club matches, to sort out the rule interpretation as best can be. When he/she get's to urge to drive 1000's of miles to a shoot, less chance for dissapointment.

After watching Quigley DU for the tenth time last night, Jackie's comment about his pistol shooting, reminded me of Mathew's "I never said I didn't know how to shoot one, I just never liked them". Just after "This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Wild Bill". Think I'll just head for some cover now:eek::eek:

Ron Kent

We are looking at this from the wrong direction.
Lets sat I'm a local guy who loves shooting small holes and figures I might want to compete in a match.I ready my ammo clean my barrel and decide I will find a match to compete in.
I go to the local sporting good store and they know nothing at all about any matches.
I go to the local public range and they know nothing about any matches but a fellow shooter says look up the NBRSA as thats were the action is.I go home and do a search and until just recently I find a defunct website with no matches listed that has been down for years.
I am true competitor so I don't give up very easily and find a match only 200 miles away.I fill my pockets with cash put $125 worth of gas in the tank and head to a match.When I show up everyone recognises I am a new shooter but nobody says much.I head to a gathering to find out what is going on only to find out I need a NRA membership and a NBRSA card or I can't compete.Everybody is too busy getting ready for the match to talk and the range officer doesn't want me on or near the line.
Lynn

Lynn, this is a great set of observations.

The data is simply not available online. Solution: Put the data online!

The shooters and range officers are busy on match day. Solution: Get at least one ambassador to be in attendance at matches. This person is the official greeter and is tasked with making newbies feel welcome. This person should not be participating in the match!

Focus on the data that the new shooter would need, he will eventually be your club president or match director so don't scare him off.

Rock63,
What makes you think that everyone has a computer and is on line. I shot in a "official registered" BR match over a month ago, none of the officials are on line and I still do not know the outcome of the shoot.

Lynn,
I think it's the responsibly of the shooter to inquire about all the requirements of shooting in any event, the first thing I do when I become interested in shooting in any Association event is join the Association, then order a rule book so I know what is allowed and what is not allowed.

Anyone that drives 200 miles to find out what's going on either has more money than they know what to do with or isn't very smart, and if it's the not to smart thing maybe they should not own a gun.

I could never figure out why some people seem to think there so important that others should go out of their way for them just because they show up for an event that they know nothing about and/or they don't know what's going on.

Join and support the Associations with your dues, your shooting there events, that's the least you can do, next thing, go buy your own rule book, this way you may be able to answer 98 % of your questions, I'm sure the other 2 % can be answered by someone at the match.

Like I said, I still don't have the results of the last BR event I shot in but I'm not going to cry about it, if it upsets me enough I just won't support that club/shoot again. But I did have fun, and to me that's just as important as winning.
SS

Why do I assume that everyone has a computer?

If you are reading this then you have access to a computer.

If you are under 30 years of age and have disposable income for bench rifles, then the odds are that you have access to a computer.

If you don't have a computer and you want to learn about benchrest then you are stuck looking at glossy magazines at the gun store if you can find any that cover the topic. Which is a terrible situation to be in, so save some money and buy a computer!

I just do not see this.

At all of our Registered Matches, and club matches, we go out of our way to help new shooters. I can't think of how many times I have had a new shooter, or just a visitor, come up to me and introduce himself. He will usually say that he has read many of the post on Benchrest.com, and just wanted to see first hand what is happenning. Most of us are more than willing to answer questions, and help in any way possible.
Granted, there are some well known shooters who would rather new shooters not bother them. But, they are in the minority.........jackie

At the range today

Wed. afternoon is not a busy time at the range but today I played hookie from work. Ran into a Dad and two teen boys shooting varmint rifles at the range. As they were finishing up, I was setting up. I walked over asked about the rifles and targets and told them they should come out to the next Benchrest club match. They said they were way too outclassed to compete. I told them we have a factory class and modified class. I then asked them if they would like to try out a rifle. The son shot first - a group in the fours. Then Dad shot a group .202. Now he was interested...asked about loading, equipment, cost etc.

Will they ever show up at a match - I doubt it - out of the many people I have tried this tactic on, maybe two ever came to a match.

Tactic number two...new potential members must have two current members sign their club application. "What if i don't know any members?" They are told they can come to a match - compete, and get signatures from members they meet at the match. This does three things - if forces them to shoot in a match; also makes them find some friends, and allows them and us to come to an understanding on safety at the range. This has worked somewhat.

The answer to "how do we find new members?" is easy - You go find one.

New potential shooters are totally confused as to what rules they have to compete under , what weapon is suitable , how to enter a competition , Etc ,Etc and the list goes on and on

the NBRSA, you get a rule book. How many shooters read the book cover to cover??? I feel that a new shooter should put forth the effort to be as informed as possible. Yes, they will have questions that most people are more than willing to answer. But they also must realize that people can get impatient when the answer is right in front of them in the book.
Richard

So just shove the rule book under thier nose and forget about them.
This is exactly the attitude causing the demise.
Dit it ever enter your mind that the person could be dislexic , poorly educated , English not their first langauge and many other reasons why they may have trouble UNDERSTANDING THE RULES AND HOW TO APPLY THEM.
A short sit down with a nice person explaining the rules and how they apply will make a world of difference to someone having trouble in that area.

Lynn,
You may think I missed the point, but then I don't think your understanding the point I was trying to make. Please read my message again, slow this time. My thinking is that "normal" people don't drive 200 miles expecting to shoot in some event they know nothing about, then again maybe they do ?, I'm never sure about the under 40 bunch. Don't get upset if you or anyone else did that 200 mile thing, you and others like the guys that do the 200 miler have to learn to be responsible for there own actions.
Don't forget, I was not the one that brought that up, you did.

It's no secrete that there seems to be a problem with all the Associations and because there are so many different ones there spread thin with some having a lot less members than others.

It's also no secret that what these Associations need to do is advertise. Please don't forget, it's the officials that run the Associations that have control of the money, if they don't see a need to do an add they wont, one of the largest pub's that I know of for shooting sports is Shooting Sports USA, did you ever see a BR add in that pub ?.

Rock63,
What part of my post did you not understand, let me say it again, slower this time.

"I shot in a "official registered" BR match over a month ago, none of the officials

are on line and I still do not know the outcome of the shoot"

Of course I have access to a computer, as I'm reading this, please pay attention to what I said, "none of the officials are on line" what part of this don't you understand.

Believe me when I say I'm long past the under 30 years of age stage, so were all of the shooters at that event, I'm going to guess and say the youngest was 65.
I don't think I would get far telling these guys to save there money and buy a computer.

Did you ever wonder what us guys did before the age of computers, well we went to a lot of big shooting events and never seemed to have a problem finding out where they were.
SS

SingleShot, you knew where the matches were in the pre computer days because the matches were somehow advertised in a method that worked in those days.

Today young people look online.
Or do you only seek to attract more of the elderly to your shoots?

Personally I think it is beneficial to attract the young, they can be trained :)

J. Valentine,
Sooner or later everyone has to learn to help themselves, even the under 40 bunch.
I don't think anyone said put a rule book under there nose and forget them. If they are poorly educated, English not there primary language, etc., etc. they will have to learn, just like others have.

You say:
"A short sit down with a nice person explaining the rules and how they apply will make a world of difference to someone having trouble in that area"

I agree, that why I said a new shooter should get a rule book, the % of things they don't understand can and should be asked at the range, especially about safety.
SS

Lynn,
I didn't think you did. I know your smarter than that, my point is that I'm hoping most other shooters are also smarter that that.
As to you showing up in the middle of a match, I would think that was an honest mistake.
As to the magazine, it's the largest shooting sports magazine in the USA, pub by the NRA.

Now, ask the officials of all the Associations ( especially the ones you belong to )
the question, why don't you use part of my membership dues to advertise your events in the following pub's:
Shooting Sports USA.
Precision Shooting.
Varmint Hunter.
American Rifleman.
And I'm sure there are others.
This is one of the best ways you get new members, and of course there are other ways.
It will be very interesting to hear what they have to say.
SS

Rock63,
The way it worked years ago can still work today. In fact it should be easer today than it's ever been because of the age of faster communications. The Associations should be reaching four or five times the shooters they were reaching in the 1960's and 1970's,

I'm sure you can figure out why that's not happing, in case you cant it's because there not doing anything. I mentioned awhile back that the NRA had about 10,300 matches last year, this is fact, not BS, know why, because they advertised them, that's a lot of events, and I cant even imagine how many shooters participated in them, but I can find out if need be.

I agree, today young people look online, even some older one like myself look online, but a lot of guys still buy the shooting mags, you cant give up one for the other, you got to do both, the mags cost a few dollars, the internet is about as free as it gets.

I also agree that it's beneficial to attract the young, they are the future of all shooting sports, I'm not sure however that they can be trained ;-),

You said:
"Or do you only seek to attract more of the elderly to your shoots"

First, I don't seek anything, I'm not an official in any of the BR Associations and they are not my shoots, I only shoot in the matches like you do, hell, I'm not even a competitor any more, I'm only a participant, I more or less just donate my match fees to the people putting on the shoot.
SS

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynn, thank you for the generous invitation. Unfortunately have an appointment on Sunday, I am traveling to my local range where I am introducing two fine people to marksmanship and plinking.

With a bit more advance notice I would happily accept your offer, and my wife is also interested in attending. Raincheck?

Lynn,
Amazing, lifelong NRA members, shooters, and have never gotten the Shooting Sports USA magazine, call NRA and ask for it.
SS

Shooting Sports USA magazine?

I get American Rifleman, I did not know that the NRA had an accuracy magazine.

I read these posts because both NRA Smallbore Prone and Bullseye competition have been declining in my State. No BR here. I have spent the last hour reading 95% of each of the preceeding 137 posts and have not learned any thing that would help. The posts have gone all around the subject though not many have addressed the original question.

Good luck in working together to have these sports around when our grandkids can shoot.

Back