How clean does the bore need to be?

10ring

I've got another dumb newbie question for you seasoned short range benchrest folks. How clean does the barrel bore need to be to be competitive in the BR game?

If some carbon is left on the lands and groves is that detrimental?
If there is ANY carbon build up at the case neck to freebore transition in the chamber is that detrimental?

Carbon based lifeforms

I have started to clean my barrels every other match with no observable fall off in accuracy. I usually fire no more than 10 rounds/match. If I go over that number or am firing 10 shot groups in an unlimited match I will clean after every match. I also believe Tony who emphasizes that the carbon ring in the chamber must be removed if you do not trim your cases after every firing. It will narrow the clearance between the end of the case neck and the chamber walls resulting in erratic performance due to increased pressure. This is merely my own opinion and not necessarily gospel.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tim. To clarify my understanding, ..... you clean every 10 to 20 rounds?

I need to re-read what Tony says about cleaning in his book.

I would say you need to clean as often as is needed to maintain accuracy. Most people cannot see when it falls off until it is to late and then you have a major cleaning to do. New barrels that are good usually need little cleaning but as they get more rounds through them you have to get more aggressive to keep it from building up. The longer you do this the more you get the feel of what a barrel needs and how clean it has to be.

Cleanliness is next to Godleness

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tim. To clarify my understanding, ..... you clean every 10 to 20 rounds?
I need to re-read what Tony says about cleaning in his book.[/QUOTE)

It is usually after every 15-20 rounds. John brings up a good point about barrels with more rounds through them needing more frequent cleaning. Tony had a brush that he used with Iosso paste to remove the carbon ring in the neck. It had a round piece of copper tubing on it to limit the brush entrance to just into the neck and not go into the freebore or the lands. Pretty nifty if you ask me

Last edited:
Many years ago, I had a hot barrel, it was a Hart with probably 2,000 rounds on it, it didn't really start shooting until after 1,000 rounds. I was winning the match and someone came up with a bore scope and asked if he could take a look, he did and said it needs cleaning. I said I don't think so.

Back