Hornady SST bullets accuracy

Worker

Any one getting good accuracy with these bullets ? Shooting them out of my 270WSM Tough to get 1" MOA mostly 1 1/2 at 100yds. Using Re#17 I was pushing them to 3,400 seating the bullets well into the lands .But I guess that's good enough for a wild pig gun.

Getting good accuracy using loads out of Sierra manual. Accuracy loads at
bottom of the page by weight of bullet.

270 WSM 140 gr. SST's and Sierra's accuracy load. Shot 1" at 200 yds. Their
manual is my favorite as I have had great luck with those accuracy and hunting
loads at the bottom of the pages, in several different calibers.

in every rifle i use them in, under 1" is very common. back off the throttle a little, and you'll probably get better accuracy.

To Worker.

Have tried the 130g in two 270 winchester rifles and can't get them to shoot at all (about 3" groups). If you lived close handy I would give you 1/2 a packet.:mad:

How far are you seating them there SST bullets ?

270 WSM 140 gr. SST's and Sierra's accuracy load. Shot 1" at 200 yds. Their
manual is my favorite as I have had great luck with those accuracy and hunting
loads at the bottom of the pages, in several different calibers.

My Rifle is a Mod 70 Classic with a long magazine I can easily seat bullet into the lands and still fit the magazine . Just look at load ( Bottom of Data in Sierra book) its on the light side.Yet if you've killed game with it ,then it doesn't matter. I just want to match the 270 Weatherby Mag. Why ? I don't know what's a few ft per second ?

Have tried the 130g in two 270 winchester rifles and can't get them to shoot at all (about 3" groups). If you lived close handy I would give you 1/2 a packet.:mad:

Hey Murphy, Noticed the bad face about the 130s, dont feel alone. This year at our sight in days for the local deer hunters who are not members, I must have helped sight in over 30 various 270s, and 95% wouldnt shoot em either.
Give em the 140 or above and the groups started going inch and a quarter to inch on the average.
A 25.06, 270, 30.06 class with 1 in 10 twists will generally favor the middle to heavy side of the bullet weights, where as a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 would tend to go on the mid to lighter end of the weights. Here to my knowledge, most factory 270 caliber rifles are based on a 1 in 10.
But then again I think theres some old saying about weird things that happen :D

DR

Lefty o , backing off the throttle is not in his nature.

Last edited:
That's interesting I wonder

I wonder what the rifling rate is on my Mod 70 270WSM Saturday I did get some 1 1/4 3 shot groups but mostly 1 1/2+ but it was raining and I was shooting fairly fast. I'll check out the Winchester sight.

Getting 1MOA with 270 Win, 130gr SST, 58gr R22, Win brass and CCI 200 primers.

The Nosler Ballistic Tips were a little better with the same load.

To Dr4NRA

My rifles were a Marlin MR7 and a friends Manlicher, both 1 in 10 twist. Tried 3 different types of powder and every trick and combination I could think of and still no joy. Both rifles like 130g Remington Corelokt, so isn't it strange that those long streamlined pills that look so pretty won't shoot.:confused:

To Worker

I think you will do a lot better with the Speer pills.:D

I wasnt satisfied with my sps 270wsm with 130 sst's until i switched to standard fed 210 primers. Switching from the 215 magnums to the 210's cut my group size in half. Also use H4831sc powder.

Very interesting,how various changes make.

.I ordered some 140 gr Bergers from Powder Valley.In the mean time I'll try out the 130 gr Speer's I have.

Worker, some guns will not shoot that bullet well......

I don't know why. Mine loved the 130g Hornady flat base, and not the BT or the 140g SpBt.

Switch bullets now.

If you are talking Javelina, then the 90g Sierra hp is all you need.

243, 95 grain SST

I was getting my Hart rebarreled 243 to stack the light magnum 95 grain SST at 100 yards into a dime. This was all factory ammo for $25 per box. Great stuff, and man does it take down deer sized game.

Attachments

• 0.48 MOA, 243 Light Magnum, 3-shot, 100 yards, 95 grain SST.jpg
    0.48 MOA, 243 Light Magnum, 3-shot, 100 yards, 95 grain SST.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 179
Wild Boar and coyotes

I'd rather shoot a coyote then a Boar . Its just I need a bullet that will do'em both at extended range need be.

Since this is a benchrest forum, I may be a little out of place with my M99,
.300 savage, but my gun likes the 150 SST bullets and both 3031 and 4064. I shoot 3 shot groups that avg. about 1". Sometimes a little less sometimes more. It's a 1-12 twist barrel, and I have a 2x7 Leupold on top. Prob. get better groups with a more powerful scope, but it's a hunting rifle.
Bob

Back