Holding the reamer with a pusher

leave the bushing off, and follow the taper bore that you dialed in.
that way you ream to the throat, straight without the forward bore trying to move the reamer
sideways. the throat hits the lands straight.
thanks jackie.

I admit I have done that on about the 5th barrel I've done just to see what will happen (with a tight fitting bushing)and it did what I expected.
Luckily I did it right the first few times imo.
I don't use the bushing normally and a few of my reamers are solid pilots that seem to be small enough to not cause trouble.
Most of the barrels I've seen are about the same as far as strait bores but the bartlien have been the best I havent had a chance to do my krieger . And all I've used yet are pac-nor,
X-caliber,Wilson and some factory ones so I haven't seen a whole lot yet so my thoughts may not mean anything.

I'm happy

Last edited:
I'm thinking if there is enough variation over the length of your pilot to cause it to fight against your perfectly dialed in throat, your barrel should probably be sent back to the maker.

The thing is it really isn't just the length of the pilot is it, you have the neck the part of the sholder tapper if you don't bore with the sholder tapper in your tool.
I have dialed in a few barrels (throat and muzzle) and getting them in to at least .0002 have had at least .0001 variance in an inch at the throat is that to much out or uncommon?
Anyway most of them did

I'm thinking if there is enough variation over the length of your pilot to cause it to fight against your perfectly dialed in throat, your barrel should probably be sent back to the maker.

It depends on how far in front of the throat the bushing is.
Example. Take a long magnum reamer blank,300 H&H length, then grind a 2.500" long magnum case on the rear of that blank. The separation between the bushing and the throat has increased enough that with a close fitting bushing you will see it in the finished chamber.

It depends on how far in front of the throat the bushing is.
Example. Take a long magnum reamer blank,300 H&H length, then grind a 2.500" long magnum case on the rear of that blank. The separation between the bushing and the throat has increased enough that with a close fitting bushing you will see it in the finished chamber.

I'm lost.

do the math
move .0005 out the length of a bushing
times the length of the chamber/length of bushing.
the .0005 can grow real fast at the back of the chamber.

will it ? i do not want to find out. i let the tapered bore
guide the reamer.

do the math
move .0005 out the length of a bushing
times the length of the chamber/length of bushing.
the .0005 can grow real fast at the back of the chamber.

will it ? i do not want to find out. i let the tapered bore
guide the reamer.

Thats pretty much where Im at now with my thinking.

I'm lost.

My point is the further the bushing is in front of the throat part of the reamer the higher the chance the freebore will be cut off center if using a tight fitting bushing, as in .0001"under bore diameter. There is a good chance the throat won't be concentric with the bore. It very easy to see when inspecting with a loupe.

I don't see much discussion about the throat and neck area, the most important area in the chamber. The breech end, well not as important as all these threads imply.

Thanks Dave I now follow what you where saying. I fully agree with what you are saying (the throad is the most important part of cutting the chamber.)

Thanks for the kind and helpful reply.

Chet

My point is the further the bushing is in front of the throat part of the reamer the higher the chance the freebore will be cut off center if using a tight fitting bushing, as in .0001"under bore diameter. There is a good chance the throat won't be concentric with the bore. It very easy to see when inspecting with a loupe.

I don't see much discussion about the throat and neck area, the most important area in the chamber. The breech end, well not as important as all these threads imply.

It is easier to size a slightly oversize body than trying to straighten a off axis throat and leade.

Back