help.....

D

decr8er

Hey guys,
I have a 54 Match which was built in '62. I was shooting today in 32 degree weather. All was well until my bolt handle snapped in half!!! I am left with an inch on each half. My gunsmith suggests that we weld the two pieces together. My question is whether there is a replacement part out there, or should I just weld it?
thanks, tim

You could try Super Glue or listen to your Gunsmith.
Now with that thought then ask if he will replace the bolt if his welding does not work?? (I doubt he will?)

Welding it should be ok. I would drill a small hole in each half and insert a hardened steel pin to join 'em then weld it and grind off the excess and blue.
A good welder should be able to do it.

Thread the stub and have Bill at Bills bolt knobs make one
that turns your fancy, He does top notch work;)

Thanks for the help guys. I have ended up going with a welding firm that does aircraft work ( friend of a friend). They are going to "v" notch it and do some exotic type of weld....I got lost in the jargon. All I know is that it should never fail again.
From the microscopy that they did it was apparent that it had failed at some point in the past and the patch job was just superficial. I'm just happy that it happened at the end of the season instead of the beginning.
best,tim

Back