Help with 30x47

Y

yat3b35

I'm haveing a switch barrel rifle built , one barrel will be a 17twist 30 cal chambered for the 30x47 bases on the 6.5x47 Lapua case . I've searched the forrum for info , but find little that helps me. i have also checked the ISB results of many matches and not there either. I see info on 30x44 etc 30x37 on the 308 win case.
I don't shoot benchrest , however I do shoot the local groundhog matches which are very popular in my area. Ranges from 100 - 500 yards. I did quite well this year , winning 5 out of the 7 matches I entered with my 6 Dasher , at great cost to my barrel. Therefore I figured I'd try a 30 cal and figured the 30x47 should fit the bill nicely , trouble is I know not where to start with powder selection. Bullets will be in the 125 range.
Now the question , anyone here shooting the 30x47 and 125 gr . bullets ? Wantta give me some advice on powder and starting charge ?

Thanks , John

It wasn't too many years ago that the 30x47 was the darling of the HBR shooters. There were several case variations but they were basically the same. If you can find NBRSA Newsletters from late 90s and early 00s, you can probably find all kinds of load data.

I shoot that same case with a 120 grain bullet. Your load should fall somewhere between 42.0 and 43.0 grains of VV N135.

A friend has one

he uses in Groundhog matches. I believe he told me he uses H-4198 in his. I know folks use slower powders in them but I also know H-4198 works the very best also. I would much prefer to use faster powder with lighter bullets if it were me doing it. Tough to beat H-4198 in a lot of chamberings.

John, the thing to remember is that all these chamberings are meant to have about the capacity of a .30-30. That capacity is in the rules of Hunter Benchrest. That one case is .30x44 and another 30x47 speaks more to the shoulder angle than anything else.

One of the guys who (1) posts on the internet, (2) has done a lot of experimenting, and (3) has done a lot of winning, is Michael Turner. Oddly enough, he uses a .30-30, but in a bolt gun.

Here is one thread containing "suitable" powders.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?74643-.30-X-44-Load-data

With more data:

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?71963-What-do-you-use-for-short-range-Benchrest

The Michael Turner guts of this thread (though all are interesting):

Group and Score:

Action - self made from RB, LP, 17-4 stainless, 6AL4V titanium, tool steels, and 7075 T6 aluminum
McMillan and Speedy stocks
Leupold 36X - self modified erector tube and posi-locked
Jewell triggers
Bartlein and Krieger barrels with 18" twist
30-30 Winchester - stock case dimensions and shoulder angle, headspaced on rim to between .0003" and .0005"
Federal and Winchester brass - testing Hornady soon
Reamer - self ground
Bullets - Cheek's 118gr. 9 ogive and Berger 115gr. 8 ogive
Powders - 2015, 4197, 4198, RE7, RE10X, N133, 8208XBR, H322, Benchmark
Wolf LR primers
Lee priming tool
Lee collet die
carbide ring die for base only - never full lenght sized, and shoulder never bumped
Self made flash hole swaging tool
Self made seater and arbor press
Self made front rest with custom windage top
Protektor Dr. Bag with cordura rabbit ears - just now purchased not yet used
Dewey rods
self made bore guides
Self gunsmithed

Best performance: 100 yards - .073", 200 yards - .170", and 500 36X for score

The other guy that comes immediately to mind is R.G. Robinett. You can do the searches for him . . .

Edit:

Al Nyhus, who just answered you, also fits 1-3 above.

Last edited:
John, the 30X47 on the Lapua 6.5X47 case is arguably the most popular cartridge out there in Hunter class.

Great powders include N135 (on the edge of being too slow with 118 and lighter bullets), N133, Benchmark, XBR8208 and the new Extreme H322 (not the old 322's). Bullet weights from the 112's to the 135's all win with the appropriate powder. A good rule of thumb for the 30X47's is the lighter the bullet, the faster the powder.

Hope this helps. -Al

Lots of great advice , if that don't get me going nothing will. Thank all of you who posted John

I shoot the 30/47 HBR with a BIB 136gr, 10og, bullet in front of 42.9gr of V135 powder. However, my case is made from the 300 Savage; I don't think this makes much difference though. By-the-way, it will out shoot me any day. The latest NBRSA mag listed the 30/47 as one of the most popular calibers in the last Hunter Nationals this summer in Casper, Wy.

I think it will shoot with any of the thirties. But...in VFS the 30BR rules because of its lighter recoil using lighter bullets coupled with extreme accuracy.

Virg

I started Hunter BR with a 30X44 and then switched when the 30X47 became popular. I shoot BIB's 134gr with 39gr of VV-133,and while working up loads the VV-135 did shoot extremely well.

I don't shoot benchrest , however I do shoot the local groundhog matches which are very popular in my area. Ranges from 100 - 500 yards.

I shoot 30x47 Lapua in Groundhog matches 17 twist barrels, 118 Bib bullets, H4198 (start at 40gr work up) and 205m Primers.

Dick

30x47

John I shoot 42 gr of vv-135 using R.G's aka BiBs 118 10 o's in my 1-17 twist Pac-Nor. I use 308 cases But I would like to chamber my next 30x47 with one set up based on the 6.5x47 cases, They are a little short on neck lenght after you expand them up for my chamber,but are easier to make them, it beats having to due all that triming. Barrel Life on these 30 cal are great.I think you will be happy with it. Also Benchmark has been used with those guys up in maine, maybe Peter or Parker Hills if memory serves me right. Good Luck "

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the 30x47L share the same inherent accuracy that the 30Br does?? I have also thought about the 30x47L a few times, just havent done it yet. I do have a new Bartlein 17 twist blank in the safe that would work quite well.

For 100-200yd, I'd recommend the 30BR which if you do decide to shoot VFS bench rest, you would have just the caliber to compete with. But...if much of your shooting will be above 300yds, then the 30/47 would provide more powder capacity with more potential for heavier bullets and higher velocity.

For 100-200yd, I'd recommend the 30BR which if you do decide to shoot VFS bench rest, you would have just the caliber to compete with. But...if much of your shooting will be above 300yds, then the 30/47 would provide more powder capacity with more potential for heavier bullets and higher velocity.

Correct , will be shooting beyond 300 yards thus the 30x47. I also shoot a 6 dasher and do quite well with it , but it's hard on barrels.

Back