Heavy Gun?

Hey Rad!
I believe Papapaul has put together an unbeatable rifle. Look at it real close! I believe that I would retire before having to worry about competing against it. Rad, I believe that you agree with me.
Butch

I made some major progress today. Got the trails and spades built and took it on a trip around the neighborhood behind the tractor. My wife is a tax accountant and isn't home much this time of year. yes, I've got waaay too much time on my hands.

Attachments

• cameraload 277.jpg
    cameraload 277.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 182
  • cameraload 286.jpg
    cameraload 286.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 157
  • cameraload 288.jpg
    cameraload 288.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 165
I decided to machine a shell holder right into the boltface. This is a hand fed singleshot and i didn't see any reason to do an extractor/ejector. Also, it is as positive feed as you can get. This would work well for benchguns if you were making your bolts from scratch. Maybe you are doing it that way, I don't know.

Attachments

• bb1 004.jpg
    bb1 004.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 160
  • bb1 005.jpg
    bb1 005.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 161
I put it together again to check design and fit. The brass cap covers the mauser threads. If the reamer comes today, I'll shoot it and then disassemble and get it ready to parkerize.

Attachments

• aa1 009.jpg
    aa1 009.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 145
  • aa1 001.jpg
    aa1 001.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 147
  • aa1 007.jpg
    aa1 007.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Pal, you brainless ape. Why???? It must have something to do with papas or grandpapas,,,, Butch alike. What's next? Rad

papapaul

Ignore the parasite,
Its still looking good mate, some nice machining there! I bet that would be great fun to shoot! Are you planning to leave it hitched up while firing?

KB

The trails open up for shooting. I've also got a couple of swing down trailer jacks for the front to get the wheels up, but i haven't decided just where to mount them yet. The jacks whould get the sights up to sitting height. This thing is sort of modular. I'm thinking about an accessory rail gun mount, a golf ball cannon, and coke can cannon with their own trunnions. Change over would be less than 5 min. The 50 BMG setup would most likely be the least used.

Attachments

• bb4 002.jpg
    bb4 002.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 147
Well, reamer came, I fired the gun yesterday. I'm pumped! Like taking a hot rod around the block the first time. I couldn't fire at any distance because Cincinnati and half a dozen smaller cities are in the down range fan from my farm. I fired into a bank at about 30 yds. Everything worked perfectly. It opened after firing same as if it was empty. Then we swung the gun carriage to bear on the 100 yd target and used the upper barrel on target. The grandkids had a ball. we fired about 40 rds out of the 7x57 tube. I forgot my camera, but my Son-in-law got some great pictures. I'll post a couple if he ever emails them to me. I replaced the ball cranks with larger castiron wheels. That smoothed things up more. I'm going to tighten up the T&E alot. Once we started shooting this it became clear that there wouldn't be any need for rapid traverse, just stiffness. I need to put the jacks on to get rid of the slack in the tires, and maybe mount a tractor seat over the left trail.

Attachments

• aa1 012.jpg
    aa1 012.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 151
I parkerized some of it, painted some of it, put on high speed axles and slightly smaller wheels. This project reminded me more of working on a hot rod than a firearm. What I like best about this are the T&E mechanisms. I think I will build something about 1/4 this size, no wheels, to go onto a bench. Maybe in a .243.

Attachments

• aa1 024.jpg
    aa1 024.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 128
  • aa1 027.jpg
    aa1 027.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 119
Just the ticket for that old Thurity point buck here in Wisconsin, who always seems to be on the wrong side of a tree when you spot him.

Roger that! I seen him one day, I can even show you the tree!

Back