Head count!

Here’s a pic of my rifle and 3 cards shot with it a few days ago. Also a pic of the projectile. I’m shooting around 850 FPS and these produce a measured BC of around .130. Pretty close to the typical Rimfire bullet.

The most attractive difference is that these swaged slugs cost about 2.5c each...so 50 of them is around $1.25. These slugs are made by the end user so you have complete control over what you get instead of relying on a manufacturer. I’m still in the process of tweaking the slugs to find the best performance.

Mike

Mike,

That is impressive. No doubt if those air rifles shoot like that they will give rimfires a run for their money.

I just spoke to Chris Bogart, he runs the Piney Hill Indoor range in Luray Va. he said air rifles would be welcome at his range.

More places to shoot has to be a good thing.

TKH

I use them to slug barrels all the time.

Mike

Attachments

• CB6CBF77-A92F-4641-B53D-283B50F91D78.jpeg
    CB6CBF77-A92F-4641-B53D-283B50F91D78.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 140
i would like to see how many air rifle benchrest shooters we have out there and how many of those are interested in competing.

I can't seem to find many air gun clubs in my area and i wonder if there is much opportunity for air gunners to compete.

If you are an air gunner and would like to compete please respond to this thread so you can be counted.

Thank you.

Tkh
hi tony bought 25 cal. Air rifle 10 yrs ago have yet to shoot it this yr pa has opened air for hunting so i will try to see you somewhere along the line. Bill brawand

6 target unlimited tournament Piney Hill range Luray Va. 12/12/20 0900 hrs.

It has been all talk up until now!

But here is the first chance for the Air Gunners to show up and shoot with Rimfire shooters in a 50 yard tournament.

The target will be the IR 50 target, 25 scoring bulls, and a 20minute time limit.

The Larry "The Legend" Harrison tournament will be held at Piney Hill indoor range Luray Va. start time 0900hrs. 12/12/20.

Air Rifles shooting .22 cal. are welcome.

This tournament is being put on by Scot Whystell to honor Larry Harrison, a much loved rimfire competitor that has past on.

This is a money match and awards will be given out for target winners, and the top three places.

Entry fee for the tournament is $50.00. Lunch will not be served so bring your own.

Hope to see some air gunners there.

TKH

I've been working on a couple things here in Michigan as well...

Besides hunting and having a great Deer season, 2 bucks, one with the bow, and a great one with the muzzle loading rifle. I've been working on a couple FX impact rifles for me and a friend. We have ordered over time a total of 3 rifles, All impact Mkii with power plenum, one in .22 caliber, one in .30 caliber, and a third in .35 caliber.

In the quest I found a new airgun shop in Central Michigan that I hadn't known about before this endeavor. I went up there and met with the owner operator Tom Simmon and had a couple great afternoons chatting with him. His business is called High Pressure Pneumatics and he and his lovely wife Janine (she gets along real well with my wife too) run a great business. In chatting with them I found out that they run the Air rifle matches at one of my old stomping grounds, Harrison Sportsmens club. This is cool, in further talking with them I've found that he has three clubs nearby that shoot unregistered "extreme type" BenchRest Air rifle competitions at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. The three clubs have different weekends of each month, and a series of shooters go to each of them. I mentioned that I run the USARB matches at SMGC, and his eyes lit up… It appears that he likes the idea of some registered matches on his calendar. We compared targets and distances and rules, and it looks like I will visit and shoot at some of his matches and he will try to make it to some of ours. The cool thing here is that all 4 of the clubs involved stand a chance to gain shooters and the sport gains in potential growth by bringing the knowledge of other types of shooting and equipment to the shooters. It's amazing in the 2 1/2 years that I've been involved in Air rifle BR, I had never heard that these clubs run matches. I guess you can't just go off the information you get from one person.

Besides hunting and having a great Deer season, 2 bucks, one with the bow, and a great one with the muzzle loading rifle. I've been working on a couple FX impact rifles for me and a friend. We have ordered over time a total of 3 rifles, All impact Mkii with power plenum, one in .22 caliber, one in .30 caliber, and a third in .35 caliber.

In the quest I found a new airgun shop in Central Michigan that I hadn't known about before this endeavor. I went up there and met with the owner operator Tom Simmon and had a couple great afternoons chatting with him. His business is called High Pressure Pneumatics and he and his lovely wife Janine (she gets along real well with my wife too) run a great business. In chatting with them I found out that they run the Air rifle matches at one of my old stomping grounds, Harrison Sportsmens club. This is cool, in further talking with them I've found that he has three clubs nearby that shoot unregistered "extreme type" BenchRest Air rifle competitions at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. The three clubs have different weekends of each month, and a series of shooters go to each of them. I mentioned that I run the USARB matches at SMGC, and his eyes lit up… It appears that he likes the idea of some registered matches on his calendar. We compared targets and distances and rules, and it looks like I will visit and shoot at some of his matches and he will try to make it to some of ours. The cool thing here is that all 4 of the clubs involved stand a chance to gain shooters and the sport gains in potential growth by bringing the knowledge of other types of shooting and equipment to the shooters. It's amazing in the 2 1/2 years that I've been involved in Air rifle BR, I had never heard that these clubs run matches. I guess you can't just go off the information you get from one person.

Pbike257,

That is wonderful news. That is exactly what I was hoping would happen.

Air Rifles shooters and rimfire shooters join ranks and compete with and against one another.

Let us hope this story repeats around the country.

Thank you so much for sharing.

TKH

Great news!

I got involved with Air Gun Benchrest a number of years ago now but there was so little opportunity to compete, I gave up. I still have rifles though and may try again. The Slug making thing would be great cause with pellets, one gets into the same chase looking for lots that shoot in one's gun, just like Rimfire. Hope the make your own is allowed going forward.

Pete

Pete Waas,

What I like about the slug possibility is that once you have a system that works, i.e. slug, barrel profile, lands and grooves dimensions, leade, seating depth, speed etc. You are shooting an actual projectile that is spin stabilized not stabilized by the drag of a skirt like a pellet.

Maybe

I have been running ARA matches for years at Sunnyvale. There are quite a few clubs in Nor Cal that put on the matches. Yet there are no clubs that run airgun benchrest matches. Although I still shoot rimfire benchrest (if my club was not closed to the public) my interest has shifted to all things airgun. Field Target primarily, but would love to get back into airgun benchrest and compete against the rimfire guys. Hopefully the powers that be read these threads because it would be great to shoot airguns at my and others ARA matches.

Dana Wyse

We may try to introduce airgun benchrest at Modesto.If we do, we will have to run mixed 50/25 yard matches as no one around here has a purpose-built 50-yard air rifle.

Enthusiasm depends on my ability to make an FX Impact shoot good scores at 50 yards.

Jan Pritchard

We may try to introduce airgun benchrest at Modesto.If we do, we will have to run mixed 50/25 yard matches as no one around here has a purpose-built 50-yard air rifle.

Enthusiasm depends on my ability to make an FX Impact shoot good scores at 50 yards.

Jan Pritchard

Jan,

Please post your progress with the FX Impact. I have also heard RTI has a couple of Air Rifles that may

have what it takes to shoot 50 yards Benchrest. I'm sure there are many that would like to hear about those as well.

TKH

I've been an airgun fan for years! Shooting them in BR competition sounds like fun! It would be nice to be able to make ammo and control its quality.

Jan,

Please post your progress with the FX Impact. I have also heard RTI has a couple of Air Rifles that may

have what it takes to shoot 50 yards Benchrest. I'm sure there are many that would like to hear about those as well.

TKH

Hi,

I just received two test lots of Nielson slugs for the FX Impact. If all goes well, I'll test tomorrow afternoon and post my initial results.

Jan

Hey guys...here is where I’m at lately with ARA cards. I have shot 14 in total with my proven setup....and probably that many with setups that I’m trying out.

My 14 card average with the proven setup is 2189....with my highest card being a 2350 and my lowest being a 2100.

I hope to get to a match sometime soon and actually go toe to toe with some Rimfire guys.

Jan....I will be curious how those slugs perform for you.

Mike

Attachments

• 3ED26606-D162-4204-B0C1-9ABA30C720B9.jpeg
    3ED26606-D162-4204-B0C1-9ABA30C720B9.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 129
Fantastic achievements Mike!
Not wanting to know everything :cool:, but can you let us know a couple of things...
Power used...
Cylinder max pressure...
Number of shots...

Hi Pedro, Thanks.

I’m currently shooting this setup tethered. Once you get into the 65 + fpe energy levels it becomes impractical to try and contain all the air needed onboard.

This setup is shooting 40 gr Bullets at around 825 FPS. My regulated air pressure is 2450 psi. The regulator is contained in the nose of the airtube so the entire tube has become a regulated plenum. I put a 3500 psi rupture disc on the gun in case the regulator should ever fail.

I think this is the way this will have to be handled.

Mike

My main concern, is if the Air Rifle Participants are allowed to manufacture their own ammo, will it open up a debate by Rimfire Competitors to manufacture theirs as well?

My main concern, is if the Air Rifle Participants are allowed to manufacture their own ammo, will it open up a debate by Rimfire Competitors to manufacture theirs as well?

Fred you make a good point.

I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing.

I can't be the only person tired of the great ammo chase.

TKH

Last edited:
we may try to introduce airgun benchrest at modesto.if we do, we will have to run mixed 50/25 yard matches as no one around here has a purpose-built 50-yard air rifle.

Enthusiasm depends on my ability to make an fx impact shoot good scores at 50 yards.

Jan pritchard
rimfire can make their to if they spend time and money

Back