Has anyone tested to see if accuracy improves with the ejector removed from the bolt?

G

GJgo

I was noticing that when buying a replacement Savage bolt, it comes with no ejector. At first that seemed silly, but then, it made me wonder if there's any potential for the force behind the ejector spring causing the loaded round to sit canted in the chamber...?? For bench rest it certainly isn't a necessary part to have.

So, has anyone tried grouping with vs. without the ejector installed in their bolt?

good question! i would like to know the answer. i'm not a br shooter but am a fanatic paper/varmint hunter and base most of my loading and shooting on wwabrsd( what would a benchrest shooter do). i remove all my ejectors so i don't have brass flying into the grass,etc. the case is easy to remove and rechamber a new round. slightly off subject...without the ejector and firing/spring, checking headspace while pushing the shoulder back is a BREEZE! i can feel the difference in .001 thou easily and suspect i can feel even.0005 thous. my suspicion is that there may not be a problem with custom chambers and brass that is not sized excessively. overbored chambers(factory) and oversized brass will probably have the case canted a bit. a loaded round without runout would then have a LOT of runout.

Good thought. For example, my Sako 6ppc chamber is pretty tight for USA specs- I actually have to turn my 220 Russian necks to fit. IIRC it's about .268". On the other hand, my Savage 308 chamber is quite a bit looser, a fired round blows out the neck around 8 thou! If no one pipes up maybe I should test this myself.

I don't think a properly fireformed and sized case would know if your rifle had an ejector. If you are worried about it get a Kelbly receiver with the mauser styled ejector.

Butch is right on...but the kink is....a lot of people really don't know what a properly fireformed and sized case is. A lot of the tolarances I hear on here are to loose and that could have an effect on accuracy.

Hovis

I agree with Butch and Kevin and yes I have tested this, a bunch.

Basically if you've got enough slop in the system that the ejector can push it out of alignment IT WILL, but that's not your problem :):) just a factual aside. In other words removing the ejector won't "fix it."

I don't think it matters either but for every 100 Remingtons you find on the firing line, 99 of them will have the ejector spring lopped off to a minimum.

I agree with you guys regarding fire formed, tight necked, neck sized only BR cases such as my PPC.

However, what about in something like my heavy 308 where I FL size just enough to set the shoulder back .002" for reliability? I do know that the neck area in this barrel is cut much larger than it needs to be. IOW, think more like a F/TR rig than a BR rig. Change your thoughts?

Back in my begining of shooting Benchrest {Remington 700 s} We use to cut back the spring on the ejector to keep
It from hitting the action and bending over the mouth of the cases.
One other thing that was done, {cut the spring back so it wouldn't throw the case to the next bench.
Some of the shooters opted to take the ejector out claiming it was binding on the case and pushing it to one side.
If I remember correctly P ans S magazine had an article talking about it.

The amount that an ejector can push a loaded to one side of the chamber is directly related to how closely the round fits the chamber. Having a FL die that is a good fit to the chamber is one way to reduce this deflection. Also, it should be remembered that FL sized rounds are always affected by gravity, they do not magically float, centered in the chamber, therefore, to the extent that there is clearance, even without the ejector, there will be some amount of misalignment, which probably shrinks to insignificance at some point, depending on how it stacks up against other factors that prevent perfect accuracy. The trick, in all of this, is to work the hardest on things that matter the most. If your die is a poor fit with the chamber, get another die.

The ejector spring that I use on my benchrest rifles is quite a bit lighter in spring weight than the spring that most Remington rifle ejectors use. I use as long a spring as will fit in the hole and then adjust length from there to get the ejection pressure that I want. It's light enough in pressure that you can easily push it down with fingernail pressure. It won't push anything out of line. It works very well with PPC's with sako extractors where the case is ejected into the round portion of the raceway. Here's a link to the spring that I use. .125" coil spring

Bic lighter spring.

Dave Coots told me that he used a Bic cigarette lighter spring in his. After he gave me one of the right size (1/8th inch) I replaced the one in my BAT and it works great without flinging brass off the table and not putting undue side pressure on the chambered cartridge. Good shooting...James

removing pin that holds the ejector for case from BAT action

Hello,

I like to know if anyone know the exact diameter for the punch to use , to remove the ejector from the bolt (BAT).
This all to remove the spring inside the bolt, to cut it so, that it throw away the cases a little closer to the rifle.
To be clear: i only need the diameter in mm's or inches, for the punch to use to remove the pin, which holds the ejector (BAT action).

Trasch

Hello,

I like to know if anyone know the exact diameter for the punch to use , to remove the ejector from the bolt (BAT).
This all to remove the spring inside the bolt, to cut it so, that it throw away the cases a little closer to the rifle.
To be clear: i only need the diameter in mm's or inches, for the punch to use to remove the pin, which holds the ejector (BAT action).

Trasch

Paul,
1/16" punch diameter. The punch I have that fits is a #1 roll pin punch from Brownell's that is 1/16" in diameter.

My question first to the original post is:

What is your definition of accuracy?

Or should I say....

What is your accuracy requirement?

What are you using the gun for?

You have to ask yourself/answer that question first in my opinion.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks Frank,

I originally was thinking of this because my factory Savage 308 has a relatively loose throat, and it seemed to have a small consistency issue that I was chasing down. Still am, really, but I came to determine that it's probably a few different variables that were leading to it & this was one thought I had towards them. Of course the actual problem is the loose throat more so than the ejector- I do plan on screwing on a match grade barrel when I shoot this one out. :) I like to use this rifle for unknown distance shooting, it fills a different spot for me than the PPC.

Back