Harrel tunner

Hobbsy

Good day folks I have a 1710 anschultz and put a barrel tunner on it. I've had good results with tunner at 250 and 140 and 110 not quite sure if I'm doing somthing wrong. Any suggestions or advice would be great . I'm not sure if this is normal or what to expect g bu is is my first tunner.

Tuner

Hobbsy, I recently purchased a tuner as well. I've been tested in on the rifle, and I think you will find there are more than one adjustments for the tuner that can yield reduced vertical stringing of your shots. I started my tuner at 0, then moved it up by 25 clicks, and fired two rounds. Repeated that until I reached 500. Then, I reviewed the target. I used a PSL target which has 25 bulls on it, so I could see all shots on one target page.

Next, for those bulls where the two shots were basically one hole, I then bracketed those settings by 10, and shot three shots in the next round.

Lastly, once I picked the best from that round, I shot two shots in two click increments below and above the best setting, to see what the best overall setting would be.

Once done, and you know what setting works best for the ammo you shoot, you then set the tuner to that setting, and shoot. If you change your ammo, to another brand, then repeat the study above to determine the best setting for that ammo. Each ammo will likely have a preferred setting where it works the best for you and your rifle.

Hope this helps.

Rimfireshooter99

Not unusual.
Try and remember, however, lots of guys try and tune in less than optimum tuning conditions so record your numbers and the next time you have some really pristine conditions, repeat you tuning exercise to validate your setting.

Hey Hobbsy, I’m interested to know at what distance you tuned.
The reason I ask is the tuner will not give the same results if you plan to shoot at a different distance.

Bob

Bob - if it's not too big of an answer, why is it that a single tuner setting won't work at all distances. If it is too big just say so as I really meant that. I don't want to fully answer some things as the internet would run out before I did.

Good question Wilbur, the way I understand it, the tuner is set up to dampen a certain harmonic that the barrel will resonate at when fired.
Let’s say at 50 yds, after tuning, the muzzle is at some deflected angle and the bullet drops neatly into the 10 ring every time.
At a 100 yds the minor corrections the tuner provided to compensate for slight variations in ammo loads will no longer give the same results due to the bullet having to travel a greater distance making it necessary to re-tune. I think.

Bob

I believe i found

Wilbur and Bob 1949, that's a good explanation without getting too much in depth. I've been studying and experimenting with this stuff for years in the tunnel and can state with certainty that Tune is yardage specific. Tune is also atmospheric condition specific.

Gene Beggs

that altitude also affects tune. I pre-loaded for a shoot in Iowa one year and when I got there I was not in tune.That range is at 2000 ASL, I tested and loaded @ 200 ASL. I didn't have a tuner so I pulled the bullets, loaded test loads and used seating depth to get back in tune. Now Francis was there, had a Beggs' tuner and twisted it. Won the dern event, did he and with the best rifle I ever sold to anybody, by the way.

Also have another friend who lives close to 2000 ft and when he comes to 200 ft he's out of tune and he twists his Beggs' as well. So, there is a lot to Tune and Tuning. I wish someone would publish a chart showing how much to twist and which way when the temp changes. I'd gladly pay a reasonable sum for one.

Pete

Gene,

I need to talk to you about the tuner you sent me. I emailed you but the gremlin that interrupts our emails got us again. I will try again.

Thanks,

Pete

Back