hands free reamer holder?

skeetlee

What would be a good hands free reamer holder? Im kinda looking at the PT&G floating holder. Looks like a decent design, but I wouldn't know. any thoughts.
m going to get away from the floating pusher design. I about lost my hand this morning, so im done with that. My hand has a nice bruise. Reamer caught on something?? Hard spot in the steel maybe??? Hands free from here on out. Lee

I use a JGS floating holder with a chuck and a friend uses a Clymer. Both seem to work well. I suspect all of them probably work equally well and it's a matter of personal preference.
Dave

Lee,

I use a dead center to push the first half, then switch over to my hands free floater.

If you wanted to run a floating pusher the whole way, make sure your handle is short enough that it doesn't hit your saddle when rotating 360 degrees. Make up a longer aluminum or steel extension to slide onto one side of your existing pusher handle to lengthen one side. Pull your tool holder off your cross slide and run it up close enough to where you can rest the new extension on the cross slide while chambering. This will keep the reamer from rotating hands free while you advance the reamer. When you hit your depth pull/slide the extension off while the lathe is still running. Your reamer holder and handle will rotate freely while you shut off the lathe.

Pull, clean and repeat. Your hand will never be in the way of anything that could pinch, crush or hurt you. Give yourself plenty of clearance inside the new extension and bore it out nice and smooth so it slides on very freely. Round off and polish the one end of your pusher handle that you will run the extension on.

Hope this may help.

I use a handle that runs clear and a grip that can't hurt me but another option is to make a 3" diameter round driver so you're holding onto a "pipe"

with bare hands of course......

al

I use a JGS works great for two axis float, adjustable. PTG has some really great ideas but their QC sucks! I use the PTG reamer stops and the throaters are also a great idea, just won't touch a reamer from them, been screwed too many times.

I must admit I just did three barrels in 7LRM with a PTG reamer and it cut really well. I have no idea if the chamber is to spec or not and I have not tried to size any brass for it, but it really did cut like a JGS or Manson

Last edited:
I use a handle that runs clear and a grip that can't hurt me but another option is to make a 3" diameter round driver so you're holding onto a "pipe"

with bare hands of course......

al

This is a great option that I've used. The other thing that comes into play when clambering is the cutting oil you use. I prefer the good old fashion black cutting oil. I have tried a couple water soluble fluids but they just didn't seem to work as good and I was using them in through the muzzle flushing.

Ive never had any trouble with anything PT&G makes. I don't always like talking to females when I make an order, but that's just me! Why do so many complain about PT&G products? I think they are great! Lee

I received a reamer last week that was a replacement for one that cuts on only one flute. I took it out of the tube and began to look it over. I removed the pilot bushing and went to put the screw back in. It felt a little rough going in and didn't go completely in. I looked in the hole and found a broken tap. Hum.

That sure made my day. I have tried getting ahold of Dave a few times and he never seems to be in the office and hasn't returned my calls or emails. This is not the first issue I have had.

I will say the customer service has gotten much better the last year or so, as I got a print sent and checked in 2 days this time, the last time I tried it took many weeks. Regardless, it didn't change the final outcome.

Joe Hynes

Back