H4198 color change?

JML

I just bought an opened 8lb jug of Hodgdon 4198. It looks a little different than what I am used to seeing. It has a darker gray color. I'm used to seeing the tannish/greenish colored kernels. Other than the color the shape and size of the kernels is what I would expect. The orange sticker on the jug is labeled, 81024135210.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

What was Hodgdon's explanation? :)

That's a good question. I think I'll call tomorrow. I was worried that someone might have refilled the jug with IMR 4198, but the measured kernel size is identical to H4198. IMR has much longer kernels.

H4198 color change

I wouldn't worry about it it's probably just the coating to control burn rate.

I wouldn't worry about it it's probably just the coating to control burn rate.

I called Hodgdon today, they told me that the color was unusual and I should approach with caution. The date code indicates it was manufactured on 10/24/2013, so it's a fairly recent jug of powder. Does anyone else have 4198 from the same period, and what color is it?

I called Hodgdon today, they told me that the color was unusual and I should approach with caution.

Interesting... And yes be cautious.... This is where our fun bang bangs can seriously hurt us..... The powder >may< not be what you or Hodgdon "think" it is..
Be very cautious, don't get hurt thinking it's uuuhhhhh ... Ok, it's probably a mis colored 4198....!
We have no way of testing a powders burn rate ... Other than...:eek:
:confused:

cale

Interesting... And yes be cautious.... This is where our fun bang bangs can seriously hurt us..... The powder >may< not be what you or Hodgdon "think" it is..
Be very cautious, don't get hurt thinking it's uuuhhhhh ... Ok, it's probably a mis colored 4198....!
We have no way of testing a powders burn rate ... Other than...:eek:
:confused:

cale

I also told them I bought it secondhand, and they immediately latched onto that fact and how foolish it is to do that. I don't feel like I got a real clear answer.

I called Hodgdon back, and this time was told that it is just the coating used to adjust burn rate. This jug of powder was made October of last year. I'm going to shoot it (with caution) and I'll report back.

Hodgdon is of course going to be cautious. Once that jug is opened there is no way they can guarantee what is in it. Plus they are trying to rely on your visual description.
It really comes down to how much you trust the person you bought the stuff from.
I would give it a try but start off really low.

Ted

it appears that i have the same lot as you. i just opened the first 8# and it also has the shiney gray graphite color in appearance. I also called Hodgon and they gave me a similar answer. They stated that the color difference was in the coating to bring the powder into the burn rate specifications.

i've shot this powder at my usual load that i shoot, and everything appears to be identical in performance characteristics.

it appears that i have the same lot as you. i just opened the first 8# and it also has the shiney gray graphite color in appearance. I also called Hodgon and they gave me a similar answer. They stated that the color difference was in the coating to bring the powder into the burn rate specifications.

i've shot this powder at my usual load that i shoot, and everything appears to be identical in performance characteristics.

Good to know, Thanks.

Back