H322 or LT32 for 6PPC

Me too zippy. Ive noticed a lot of others are doing the same

I shot both this morning. High Humidity high temp. The groups were big with LT-32. Spikes on the primers. Recoil high.
I did get 200-6X for both......Local rules league...200/200 perfect score....200y.

Harv's barrel

shot LT-32 for most of the last year.
I went back to N133 at the last tournament. Things were much improved....

Have you guys ever heard "all barrels have different likes" I'd rather spend time visiting and talking to other shooters than time tuning w/133.. About every rifle and barrel I've ever had (since 133 came on the market) has performed great w/133,,, after tuning and trying to remember what to do @ what time of the day(temp changes) If temp stays 90 and below ,, there is very little tuning to do w/ T-32.. Or I may be dreaming,,, or maybe Watson and Smiley Hensley were stupid for buying up all the T powder they could get their hands on.
When you're lazy like me,,, stick to the powder you know works in your barrel. I'm not a good shooter,, but T powder has allowed me to get some 60 to 70 pine boards.

And Mr. Harv ,,if 133 works for you,,, by all means ,, use it.... But I prefer that Virginia's best powder

Last edited:
HFV isnt telling you that hes one of the few people in the country that has T powder

Hard to tell that with all the BS punctuation points and other BS letters.
I failed at The Queen's English. But, what is with this guy. Does he let his dog type?
Most of the "I had to quit school to support the family" are dead.
By the way. Besides "the big lie from FDR". The greatest Generation also had one. In most States and big cities. There was no school after age 16 yrs.
I can't count the number of old folks who told me, "I had to go to work at 16yrs". Well, at 16yrs. you either went to college or got a job.
N.Y. city was the first to institute the requirement that you went to school till 18 yrs. That was so your Dad could get a job. And you stayed in school.

Its a southern thang!!!!

I failed at The Queen's English. But, what is with this guy. Does he let his dog type?
By the way. Besides "the big lie from FDR". The greatest Generation also had one. In most States and big cities. There was no school after age 16 yrs.
I can't count the number of old folks who told me, "I had to go to work at 16yrs". Well, at 16yrs. you either went to college or got a job.
N.Y. city was the first to institute the requirement that you went to school till 18 yrs. That was so your Dad could get a job. And you stayed in school.
If'n I was to "splain it, yall prolly wouldn't understand anyway. Tommy makes perfect sense to me

Jerry Dailey, tell this yankee how bad we had it in the South mostly because we didn't have sidewalks....at least that is what I was told my first year at Va Tech.
We had to work 14 hours a day, then go to school at night. Abe Lincoln did that too, so I read!! Then to get to school we had to walk up hill both ways in the dark and in the snow. When we got home all we had to eat was COLD rock soup. And HFV lived further out in the country than I did!!

Thats funny jerry cause HFV told me he was gonna sue the city for building the sidewalks too close to his butt!

Perhaps the variety (and probable validity) of all these suggestions should make make you ask another question... instead of abandoning the xxx (powder of your choice) because "it won't stay in tune", maybe you need need to re-examine your expectations and accept that load/tune changes are a necessary part of extreme accuracy shooting. The problem then is not "what is the perfect powder?". The problem is "what load/tune do I need for this condition?". When you start thinking that way, you learn to look around at weather, wind, group shape, bullet holes, etc, and make small adjustments to get the results you want.

If you insist on shooting only your 'perfect load', you will surely be disappointed at least occasionally and more over time as your various component lots change from your original test condition. The way to win against yourself every group is to seek out that thing that is working best for that group at that time. I like eggs and sausage for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and steak for dinner. Why would I expect my rifle to want to eat eggs and sausage all day every day?

Cub everything you're saying is very true,, "what load/tune do I need for this condition?" But i'm sure that different powders have different tune windows. I was looking for something with, lets say, a wider window.. I may have had a barrel that just didn't like N133. I have both powders now (N133 & LT-32) and will work with them both. Thanks for the comment and again you are right.. harv

I enjoyed and learned a lot from reading all the comments here. I have just purchased my first 6PPC Benchrest rifle and I believe it shipped from Bob White's shop to my FFL yesterday. I am in New York, but will also shoot in New Jersey, PA and around the Chesapeake Bay where I am looking for a home at the moment, so maybe I will be able to meet and shoot with the Virginian. In any case all that means is that I will be in areas where there are temperature and humidity swings. Since I am new to short range bench rest, I will probably not even shoot well enough to believe that the wide groups are anything more than my shooting, but Bob White did recommend and sell me some LT-32. He shoots in the same kind of environment. Also got a variety of projectiles, but I am starting with the Berger Columns, the lot I have being 64.4 Grain.

I was however surprised that in going to my Berger Manual, there were no loads for the Columns or for LT-32 and on the Accurate Powder Site, though they say LT-32 was developed for the 6PPC, there loading data does not show any 6PPC loads for LT-32?????

Fortunately I have had the fortune of getting a great mentor in Long Range, one in Short Range and one in Rim Fire Bench Rest. to help me through the learning process.

So I have N133 and LT-32 Powders now, Federal 205 and CCI BR4 Primers to start playing with. Not sure I want to add more powders to the mix this early in the game for me.

Look forward to more posts on the subject.

Bob

Bob - I've been shooting LT-32 in my PPC for two years now (0.264 chamber). The stuff likes light neck tension....say 0.001 - 0.0015". I'd ladder test in 0.3 gr increments from 27.0 - 29.0 and see where your nodes appear. Every barrel is different, but mine likes a pretty hard jam on depth.

As for air quality, it seems pretty indifferent to temperature. I've shot it from 20 degrees to 100 and if the humidity stays low, as in under 60%, I don't tune much. But when the air gets wet, I'm dialing the measure.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Bob - I've been shooting LT-32 in my PPC for two years now (0.264 chamber). The stuff likes light neck tension....say 0.001 - 0.0015". I'd ladder test in 0.3 gr increments from 27.0 - 29.0 and see where your nodes appear. Every barrel is different, but mine likes a pretty hard jam on depth.

As for air quality, it seems pretty indifferent to temperature. I've shot it from 20 degrees to 100 and if the humidity stays low, as in under 60%, I don't tune much. But when the air gets wet, I'm dialing the measure.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, I've been shooting Bart's 68 ultra's at .003 off touch and .002 neck tension. How do you get "pretty hard jam" with .001 neck tension?

One other item that hasn't been discussed in the realm of the LT powders vs 133, is neck tension, I shot 133 for a long time and it likes tight neck tension. The LT powders like very light neck tension. Boyd Allen called my attention to it because I had pressure issues, because I was still using the same neck tension as I did with 133. I had new brass that by the end of the first of a 2 day shoot,the primers were so loose that the primers were literally falling out of the primer pocket. Once I reduced neck tension pressure went down and problems went away.

Bob White also talked to me about Neck Tension. To start I have a set of Wilson dies in order to take 5 cases, fire them three times and send them to Whidden for custom dies. I have a .262 Neck and Bob told me to use a .257 Neck Bushing for the Wilson, which I bought. So will this work for me tension wise or what should I have and since I now also have N133, what should I use for that one. Bob only had Remington BR 7.5 Primers so I bought some of those too and now have three different primers to use, but will probably stick with the Federal 205s I bought.

Bob

Bob White also talked to me about Neck Tension. To start I have a set of Wilson dies in order to take 5 cases, fire them three times and send them to Whidden for custom dies. I have a .262 Neck and Bob told me to use a .257 Neck Bushing for the Wilson, which I bought. So will this work for me tension wise or what should I have and since I now also have N133, what should I use for that one. Bob only had Remington BR 7.5 Primers so I bought some of those too and now have three different primers to use, but will probably stick with the Federal 205s I bought.

Bob

It will depend on what you're necks are turned to. What do you have in mind for brass for this new gun of yours?

To start with I bought 50 Pre-Turned and Preped cases from Bob White. Lapua done by the guy in Missouri? I do have an arbor micrometer, so I will have to check the inside diameter after neck sizing, as well as the outside. All my other BR guns are No Turn Necks, so I have a lot to learn.

Bob

I beg to differ

Ive found lt powder to go downhill very quick riiiight after the super shoot timeframe. You need 133 and lt32. Any other powder wont even let you beat yourself on some days. Crazy drastic changes (even tho i do shoot a lot of benchmark, 2015br and 322 just cause im used to it) but for a newbie in the summer 133 is all you want or need. Of course your mileage may vary and im sure it will!

Dusty,, Don't tell Wilbur that,, he hadn't shot in about 6 or 7 years,, sent to a match in Sept. He finished 1st,, 3rd,,, and got 5th in the grand. He was using 322 that was so old, it had a beard

Back