H-4895

H

hailey

Is anyone using H-4895 in there 6ppc,I tried some today with some outstanding groups all in the low-low two's started at 6AM ended the day at 5pm never changed the load weight shot the same all day..:rolleyes:

Larry Baggett

Has had very good luck with H-4895 in the 6PPC. From what I've heard, he grabbed a pound at Cabela's after the first day of a match, came back the next day and whopped up on everyone severly. Last time I shot in Lubbock, I played around with all the common powders like N-133 in the 22BRT (like a short 22PPC) and was very pleased with the results. The next day before the match started, I decided to do what Larry would and try 4895. I only fired 6 shots, but was so amazed that I decided to use it. I didn't even go up and down to tune it. I tried 26.0 gr the first time, and just went with it. I won the grand. I'm thinking that 4895 may not be quite as hard to keep in tune.

Michael

I'm thinking that 4895 may not be quite as hard to keep in tune...........<;)

I seem to remember something about someone drilling out flash holes to .080 when he switched to this powder, at the last moment, and then doing well at a match. Does anyone have any information about flash holes?

Last edited:
Flash hole

I don't think 4895 is harder to ignite. I also don't think Larry opened up the flash holes on his brass. When I used it in the 22BRT, I used a .062" flash hole.

Michael

second day at the range with 4895 went up 3tenths just to see,same thing
all in one hole .214 went down 4tenths same thing one hole .227...and the barrel was cleaner (less cleaning);) Wonder what will happen in cool weather...

I hesitate to post this because it isn't Benchrest, but I'll chime in a bit. Many of us who shoot Palma matches (800, 900, 1000 yd. .308 prone) have switched from Varget to H4895 over the past year or so. There is a concensus that H4895 is delivering better accuracy, lower SD/ES and is more consistent from lot to lot. I think ADI is making a great product and it's interesting to see it gaining ground in Benchrest shooting where it hasn't been widely used in recent years.

Lowell Hottenstein

Lowell used H4895 in his 6PPC to win the LV Grand at the 2007 Super Shoot.

I received a PM that Lowell did not use the H4895 load at all. He had a barrel tuned for it but stayed with the N133. His H4895 load did appear on the equipment list however. Sorrry for any confusion I may have caused. James Mock

Last edited:
I have found H4895 to have a very nice big window in the 6ppc.
And just for curiosity once, I drilled flash holes out
all the way to # 38. Not mistyped, thats .101. That was
with H4895. There was no improvement, but nothing lost either.
I headed for the range with everything needed, but forgot the measure.
Each case was filled, by dipping the case in H4895 and tapping
it untill there was enough room for a bullet. It shot well enough
that I filled 5 cases, took them home and weighed them.

Fellow Shooters

mturner mentioned that he used 26 grains of H4895
for his 22brt and had good results.

Does anybody have H4895 load data for the 6ppc
they would like to share?

Thanks in advance,

vic

load data

thats what I was hoping for,but dont think I'll need it shoots good the way it is ....Thanks to everyone for the input and thoughts about this powder..

Current manufacture of H4895 may be more dense than old. Much like the transition that 322 went thru. H 4895 does not seem to like light weight
6mm bullets in the ppc. It is slower than 133 which is commonly shot
near 29 and over, so its hard to put enough in a 6ppc to hurt anything.

H4895

In my 6mm PPC SAKO S491 I use Sako cases with 29.0gns H4895 Rem 71/2 primer ISP 67 gn HP and have shot a best group of 0.165 @ 100.0
Pete

Current manufacture of H4895 may be more dense than old. Much like the transition that 322 went thru. H 4895 does not seem to like light weight
6mm bullets in the ppc. It is slower than 133 which is commonly shot
near 29 and over, so its hard to put enough in a 6ppc to hurt anything.

Well I don't know much about that, I know at a SS a long time ago when I was shooting H4895 I had a 24" barrel that chrongraft with a 68gr Watson bullet, F205M, and a bunch of H4895 that went 3475 fps and a SD of 7, even T.G. Jackson was surpprised and he was working the chrongraph.

Back