H-4350 alternative

L

L.G

Hello Guys, I am using H-4350 in a 30-06 26 inch broughton I am getting excellent accuracy,but it burns very dirty. Do you guys know any powders with similar velocitys but cleaner?

Thanks alot guys I have enjoyed reading from all your post in the past. Charles thanks for the link,I think I have read about everything German has wrote on the 30-06 as a matter of fact his writing and Jackies build helped me decide to do mine. I would also like to add that I just recently purchased some Nosler brass that fit the chamber very well and weighed less than my Winchester, and it is very uniform a little pricey but it shrunk the groups.

L. G.
The old standard is 4831. I've had good luck with I M R 4831 in 25/06 ,270 , 30/06 . I don't know much about it but if you are loading for a Grand you haft to down load them.
Good Luck Max

Max, Do you know if the IMR 4831 is temperature sensitive? Or should I say a double based powder.

LG, I am glad you enjoyed my write up un the 721 30-06 project. I sure enjoyed doing it. I enjoy just taking that Rifle out of the case and looking at it.

I found H4831SC to be a great choice for the 178 grn Nosler. Accuracy was phenominol, and that 2800 fps is just right.

For some reason, I could not get H4350 to shoot anywhere near as accurate as the 4831. Maybe the 27 inch barrel is a tad long for the 4350.........jackie

burn rate

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

this is a link to the powder burn rate list, 4350 xmr is close but not the same look at the list there are comparisons of how clean each is on some reloader sites with hand loads you never assume check the tables also check if single or double base they behave differently and may require different primers and the tables are different for older makes I still have a little dupont great in 3030 horrible in 270 or 3006 alliant changed formulas a few years back and people who used the new data with the old powder lots of cracked straps on revolvers not pretty
from the list
RIF-0 (Nobel)
TU5000 (Vectan)
PCL 511 (PB Clermont)
N150 (Vihtavuori)
N550 (Vihtavuori)
4350 XMR (Accurate)
4350 (IMR)
S365 (Somchem)
TU7000 (Vectan)
AR2209 (ADI)
H4350 (Hodgdon)
N204 (Norma)
R904 (Rottweil)
BOF RP4 (Bofors)

have fun but keep it safe

L.G> -

Howdy !

A ball powder sub for I4350 is " D85 ". In my tests ( high capacity .224" cal wildcat and 44gr capacity 6mm wildcat ), D85 came-off as being basically "ball" 4350.
I didn't think that D85 burned sooty.

You might also want to consider VV160 ?

With regards,
357Mag

L. G.
I've never had any trouble with temperature sensitive.
Good Luck Max

Guys, I am shooting a 175 VLD Berger with CCI BR-2 primer and 56 gr. of H-4350. I am very pleased with accuracy and I may just have to clean after 10 to 15 shots if I cant get it burning cleaner.

primmer

try a magnum primmer may give a better burn, thus cleaner

I've had good accuracy, clean results, similar pressures and speeds with VV 550... But is it a replacement for IMR or H 4350? No nothing compares what you can load with either of those powders... They are old standby's that every loading room should have. VV 550 is a hair on the pricey side too.

Paul

burn rate

if you check th chart the vv550 is two hotter than the imr which is four up fro the hodgdon should burn cleaner because you need less

I saw only one recommendation for N160 in the previous replies, but I think it's a great choice. It's very clean-burning in my 6x47 Lapua, 6XC, 6.5x47, and 6.5x55. Very similar burn rate to the 4350s - try it, you'll like it.

Guys,I really appreciate all the feedback. I will look at increasing pressure, and primers as well as the H-4895.

And those charts aren't the rule, just a place to start.

Paul

you are correct they are no the end all but you use them to get in the ballpark I have seen the results of w296 in a 308 BIG MISTAKE slow for a pistol but made a mess out of m1

I use h4895 for my 3006 last time I was low, bass pro only had the IMR 4895 wish I had waited. It is much dirtier for the same load but is fine in my 270

Last edited by a moderator:
Back