Gunsmith Lathe?

13" Colchester

Nic, what is the name brand of that lathe.

Colchester. Colchester and Harrison were purchased by the 600 group, they have the Clausing brand. In the United States if you want a new Colchester or Harrison Lathe you get it from the Clausing Dealer. The Colchester and Harrison lathes are made in England. Clausing has a clone of the 15” X 50” model that is made in Taiwan for significantly less money than the Colchester but still has the Gamet spindle bearings. That lathe is way too long through the head stock. Clausing also has the Metosa line of lathes made in Spain. The 13” Metosa is a good lathe and again less money than the 13” Colchester but it doesn’t have the pressure lubricated headstock clutches, gears, shafts and bearings of the Colchester. It is short enough through the headstock though.

I’m in the Gunsmithng business, if I were to purchase a lathe just to do my own gun work I would look very hard at the Grizzly 13” X 40” Z Series lathes, either the G-9730 or G-9731. Gunsmithing places very little stress on a lathe and the Z series should last you very well. I have looked at the lathes in the Grizzly showroom including the G-4003G and I like the Z Series better.

You can find a Southbend Heavy 10” in great shape for the right price if you look long and hard enough. I have a Southbend Precision 9”A that I fell into. It came from an Instrument repair shop and had seen very little use. This lathe is in my shop and I use it regularly. But you will not find the customer service or parts supply to support it. Yes there are used parts on ebay and there are some NOS parts available from Logan but they are EXPENSIVE.

You could look at the Jet brand of lathes if you want but I doubt that you will find the customer service from Jet as from Grizzly. By the way the new Jet stuff is nothing like the old Jet stuff.

I purchased my Colchester brand new in 2003 because that is what I wanted. I purchased my Clausing Kondia mill new for the same reason. I wanted to make money not repairs to my equipment. You could buy two G-9730 Z series lathes, tool them up and wear them out for less than I paid for my Colchester without tooling. I’m in my fifties, ran machine tools for more than 30 years and was tired of working around the idiosyncrasies of the machine to make parts. When it came time to buy my own machine tools I bought what I thought was the best and I bought new.

Good Luck,
Nic.

Tools

I’m in my fifties, ran machine tools for more than 30 years and was tired of working around the idiosyncrasies of the machine to make parts. When it came time to buy my own machine tools I bought what I thought was the best and I bought new.

Exactly,
Strange how we may go cheap on tools. But don't mind spending the bucks on scopes and action.

They all said the Grizz would not keep as tight of tolerances and that a gear head would create Chatter/Harmonics that would be transfered into the chamber while reaming. I'm not sure what to do. I had convinced my self a Grizz would work but after talking to these guys I'm leaning towards a Jet belt drive. Whats a guy to do!!!
I can say from the point of having owned two Grizzly lathes that your fears are groundless. I sold my first to buy their (Grizzly) 13x40 toolroom lathe and have never had the problems mentioned. I can't imagine they've ever owned a Grizzly and made such a stupid statement as that. My lathe runs smoother and smoother as the gears wear in. I absolutely love it and recommend it without reservation. Don't know if the motor is Taiwanese or Chinese (it's a Tainwan built lathe) but have never had a moment's trouble with it. The brake is a disc brake and it works!

MColeman..& Others
What Grizz lathe do you think is the best? JET has a promo on the 13x40 Belt lathe for $3299 or $4899 with the DRO installed spindle bore is 1-3/8th. What do you think .

Huntinco
It’s my opinion that the DRO on a lathe falls into that wow cool category like the GPS auto drive units. Really cool and convenient but totally unnecessary. I would rather put my money into higher quality machinery than electronic gadgets. Don’t get me wrong though I do like electronic gadgets. :D
Personally I would look at the Grizzly G4003G for economy or the G0509G if you’re a professional gunsmith. I have had very good luck with my 4003G.

James

I have one on mine. Never use it, and if it hadn't already been on there when I bought it, it wouldnt have one.
I might try to trade it for one I can use on my mill. Its a nice Acu-rite.

The only problem that the G4003G has is: the carriage travel is only 27 or 28"s. I need more for tapering muzzle loading tubes.

The G0509G is more money than I had to spend............. If Gunsmithing was my job, not just a hobby.......I would get a G0509G.

I got a great deal an a super nice 16x58ish .....1937 South Bend. Not a high speed heavy lathe, but I have time! Need a 2 pitch thread, it will do it, but no metric............bummer!

Bruce

That one has been available for a while I think part due to price and part do to location. The 14" Rockwell is a great lathe but there are much better deals available on them, even on ebay. I paid $900 for mine. The 11" Rockwell is also a very good lathe. The biggest negative against the Rockwells is the scarcity of replacement parts, should you need them.
Greg

A lathe with that open bottom gear box should not be priced that high. I think he is very attached to it and really doesn't want to sell it all that bad!

Shelley Davidson has a 16x40 Victor for sale for $3,000. It is long through the headstock, but is set up like Jackie's to be able to chamber in the headstock. It is a Taiwanese lathe. It is set up for smithing and is not a toy.
Butch

Shelley Davidson has a 16x40 Victor for sale for $3,000. It is long through the headstock, but is set up like Jackie's to be able to chamber in the headstock. It is a Taiwanese lathe. It is set up for smithing and is not a toy.
Butch

A friend of mine has one, "Not a Toy" is a very fair and correct statement.

$3000.00 for a good 16x40 Victor is a deal IMHO.

A friend of mine has one, "Not a Toy" is a very fair and correct statement.

$3000.00 for a good 16x40 Victor is a deal IMHO.

I've seen Shelley's Victor and it is quite a substantial machine. Has the foot brake that MColeman likes. If I didn't have to cough up six grand plus for a couple of front teeth implants I'd buy it.

Back