Gunsmith Lathe?

If you don't like Grizzly products, then don't buy them

That's the ticket! :cool:

The lathe is the 2nd piece of equipment I am buying. The first is going to be a CNC mill. And guess which brand of that I am not buying either? If Chinese made machines are my only option, then I will find something else to do in my new shop....but I know better.

I am sorry I asked the question, but no one wants to address the real issue of even TRYING to make these here. If gunsmiths can practice their craft at the reasonable prices they charge, I find it really hard to believe that a well laid out factory with concientious workers cannot produce a quality machine for a fair price in the USA. It is just too damn easy to run overseas and get cheap labor, no one wants to try here anymore, including "Mr. Griz." Shiraz, would you like me to post the link of the Chinese stamping press with MEN INSIDE THE DIES changing parts from station to station? If you have parts stamped in China, that is your die transfer. What happens when one of those guys misses his cue and loses a hand? Do you step up and pay the family for their loss? No, you just put another life in the die (no pun intended).

As long as we keep defending this and writing it off to lack of effort, we have ourselves to blame for our demise. I will not be a part of that for the sake of my children who will one day need to find jobs IN THE USA!

The lathe is the 2nd piece of equipment I am buying.... If Chinese made machines are my only option, then I will find something else to do in my new shop
So are you buying a new HLV?

Be careful, Hardinge has manufacturing plants in China and Tawain, and they don't make any "Made in America" statements on their webpage (except for their Bridgeport mills).

Or are you buying used? That won't help keep American workers working....

Last edited by a moderator:
Lathes

I have had a chance to be around a new Grizzly "Gunsmith" lathe, it is less than what I was expecting from all of the hype. Seemed to quite a few little things wrong or not up to the quality expected. I looking at it thru the these old eyes of a tool and die machinist.
This has nothing to do with were it was made.

Last edited by a moderator:
This soap opera concerning where a lathe or any piece of machinery is made, has gotten way out of hand...............

Bob, we must have both been typing at the same time last night.

You know, some of these China bashers are pretty hypocritical. Half the stuff in their homes is probably made in China (electronics, utencils, belts, shoes, coffee maker etc)....and while they are typing yet another sociological/ideological post they are taking calls on that MADE IN CHINA cell phone!

On another note. I wanted to thank you for sending that customer for the mill our way. He ended up buying the CNC mill that is made in Taiwan and has US made Centroid controls on it. So far he is thrilled with it. Thanks again!

Grizzly Lathe

I and several posters here have Grizzly lathes. I have worked in several shops over the years. I also have been to machinist classes at the local community college.

I have experienced the love of old American Iron. In class we restored several old American machines with many years of use and abuse.

When I bought my Grizzly G-9730 Lathe MSC, Jet, Birmingham, Prince, and several others sold a machine appearing to be same under their own names. the prices varried a couple hundred dollars.

I have made a few modifications to my lathe over the last 5 years. I switched it from single phase to 3 phase, going from 3hp to 5.5 hp with a VFD to convert to 3 phase. I made an automatic half-nut disengager. I also made a steadyrest with a centerbearing with a cathead for working on short barrels using a flush system.

If my Grizzly G9730 completely self destructed tommorrow it has already paid for itself. I would not hesitate in buying another Grizzly Lathe. For the money it has been a great investment.

I see and hear more bitching, whining, and misinformation from those who don't have nor have use a Grizzly lathe than those who have one.

I will say I am of the belief the Taiwan machines are of a better quality than the mainland China models

We live in a world ecconomy today. In the past machinery was made to last forever. Today machinery is out dated by technology in two to five years. Who in business wants to become non competetive because they can't keep up with the business needs.

In machinist class today after the first two semesters all classes are geared toward CNC. With Gibbscam, MasterCam or other G-code controller languages A tech can draw it up, tool it out, run it in solid works, and produce the product in 1/10 of the time it took 5 years ago.

The new "American machines " are built defective and have computer corrections built into the to make them work "accurately".

I get off my "Soap Box".

Go buy a run out piece of "old American Iron", the rebuild and parts will kill your pocket book.

Rustystud

I see and hear more bitching, whining, and misinformation from those who don't have nor have use a Grizzly lathe than those who have one.

Rustystud

Pardon my pointing it out, but you seem to have forgotten to mention those who don't know doggie doo-doo about machining or machine tools.;)

I have G4003 I bought new in 1996. It's no first-class piece, and I would'nt want to try to make parts 10 hrs a day on it.......that would kill it within a year or two. It is, however, capable of very accurate work, and is excellent for barrel work. I doubt that 1 out of 10 here who talk about rebuilding an old domestic machine even have a clue what is involved (skill, labor, and cost) in doing it right...

-Dave-:)

G4003g

I've barreled 5 actions so far on my G4003G and it all went well. I had no recuts, and found the micrometers accurate and easy to use. The half nut goes into gear smoothly, and disengages easily. The tailstock was easy to dial in, and the headstock is accurate to the ways. The 4 jaw chuck worked well, the three jaw was reasonable accurate and the spingle dead center is spot on.

There are a few improvements I would recommend, but all and all, I think it is a nice machine for gunsmith work.

Ben

Hypocrisy?

I do not see any hypocrisy in using foreign goods while being concerned for the economic future of our country. The world view is dramatically different from the Pacific rim than from the great fly-over - I've lived both places.

I do regard the assertions of someone who has a direct financial interest in the reputation and sales of a product with more skepticism than I do someone who is expressing a heartfelt opinion.

I read every review and every post I could find about Grizzly lathes before I bought a lathe and the overall thrust was they're good, reasonably priced hobbyist quality lathes. The most authoritative comments I found were on Practical Machinist. I also read that a well cared for South Bend would last a hobbyist like me the rest of my life.

That said, there's a 2006 G0553 lathe for sale by a machine shop nearby. It looks like a Hardinge tool room knock-off but there's nothing that even resembles it on Grizzly's web site. This one looks great and the price is lower than I would have expected. Does anybody know what the story is on these lathes, how long they were produced, when they were discontinued, parts availability, etc?

So what are some good affordable American Lathes. Are the ones sold at Harbor freight any good.?

So what are some good affordable American Lathes. Are the ones sold at Harbor freight any good.?
nor are they built in America.

I think Hardinge HLV and South Bend 10x30 (available by special order only) are the only small US lathes available. And I think there is a strong possibility that the HLV is a European import. Regardless, $20-40k is definitely not "affordable".

Check Standard Modern Lathes out of Canada. Ten grand, 0 tooling at the time I got 5 day delivery on my Griz 4003g. If I had more room I would have bought the larger Griz machines.

I have talked too a few good gunsmith in the past few days & all three said I should go with a belt drive JET or Summit over the Grizzly. Opinions please

Thanks

Service is important

Before you buy a Jet, remember that if something goes bad you won't get the same service Grizzly supplies.

Belt Drive vs Gear Head

My understanding is a belt drive imparts less vibration to the work piece than a gear head. I've seen a difference in the finish on my friend's South Bend gear head and my old belt drive heavy 10. Steve Acker refers to his Jet belt drive in his book for gunsmith machinists.

By the way, there's a G4003 (not a 4003G) on eBay on it's last day. Even if it's too far away to be of practical interest, you might learn something by watching that auction and others to see how a broader market sets values.

Cheers

They all said the Grizz would not keep as tight of tolerances and that a gear head would create Chatter/Harmonics that would be transfered into the chamber while reaming. I'm not sure what to do. I had convinced my self a Grizz would work but after talking to these guys I'm leaning towards a Jet belt drive. Whats a guy to do!!!

Call Clausing...

... and order one of these. I promise that you will never be sorry about the accuracy or quality of this machine. I own one and I love it! The one I own is 40" between centers.

Nic.

13gh-2002.gif

Last edited:
Nic, what is the name brand of that lathe.

Thanks for all the input guys & keep the comments coming

If any of you have a big game hunting question or live in Utah and would like to shoot my 1600 yard steel gong course I would like to return the favor.

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Co.

Back