gunsmith for rim fire rifles

Blairsville pa has a 50 foot rim fire range.the guns have custom actions and hv or bigger size barrels .most have a tuner on the barrel.my ? is who would be the go to person to build such a rifle?
there was a article in precision shooting magazine a few years back.
gary b

There are several excellent gunsmith's round the country. To ask who is the go to guy is a difficult question as most all produce winning rifles.
We could get into quite a pissing contest to say there is just one guy. Equipment lists on the IR50 & ARA sites will show who's building winning rifles.
I think a main reason a gunsmith is chosen is regionally motivated. If you attend matches & see whats doing well, or perhaps even meet the man (all of them shoot), generally sways one's decision.
I'll put a plug in for Gordon Eck as I own 2 of his rifles & compete against a whole bunch here in the NE. All top notch rifles & any & all are competitive nationally. I'd recommend you give him a call & discuss your build.
I'm sure others will chime in as to who they're choices are.

Keith

I am sure that Keith is right and that like most custom rifles, there are a lot of guys (there is at least one gal I have seen building custom .22 bench rest rifles also) out there that can build a quality gun. Now that I am a member of Williamsport 1,000 yard club, I want to not only shoot 50 yard Rim Fire Bench Rest, but also their 200 yard Bench Rest shoots. I looked at a few used Rim Fire Custom Builds at The Shooters Corner and will probably buy one for 50 yards, but I talked to Bob White about getting a custom Long Range one built. He told me HIS go to guy (Bob is an accomplished gunsmith that has built a lot of winning rifles) for Rim Fire is, Gordon Eck. 845-985-0001.

I have a Stiller 2500x action coming and it will go to Gordon for the barreled action work, including barrel tuner. In talking to him, he no longer does stocks, but I have had great results with Doyle Anglin so the barreled action will go to him for the BR stock.

Bob

Gary,

Can't advise you much on who to use, but instead will address your mention of the guy in Precision Shooting.

That was probably Bill Calfee who at one time was arguably the best there was as his guns used to always be at the top of the charts. But he doesn't take orders any longer and the last I knew was only building the occasional bench gun, then auctioning them off (at an extremely high price due to his reputation).

As said before, there are many out there today who build winners, so it's best to read the match results pages to see who they are.

The Classifieds will also be a great place to start looking as several top-notch guns pass through there annually, especially now the seasons are winding down and many shooters are selling what they have to help finance their next build. Another good place to keep an eye on is Killough Shooting Sports in their Used Gun section as I've seen some winners being offered there from time to time.

Good luck.

Dave

Gordon does top notch work, is fair and honest and will give you accurate input to questions you may have.

No one better!

Ir 50/50 doesn't require equipment lists so some gunsmiths get overlooked.

2015 Ir 50/50 3 Gun list 1st 2nd 3rd place
2015 Sporter Super X man
2015 Sporter Scoreline 1st and 2nd
3 World Records in one day.

All Gordon Eck rifles!!!! Enough said.

Let's see what this year brings.

W

Last edited:
Ir 50/50 doesn't require equipment lists so some gunsmiths get overlooked.

2015 Ir 50/50 3 Gun list 1st 2nd 3rd place
2015 Sporter Super X man
2015 Sporter Scoreline 1st and 2nd
3 World Records in one day.

All Gordon Eck rifles!!!! Enough said.

Let's see what this year brings.

W

Which reminds me W. The 6gun at the indoor 3 gun Nationals & 6 gun at the outdoor UL Nationals was won by Eck guns in '15.

Keith

I had been warned that Gordon was pretty set in his ways and does not want to stray from the parts that he recommends. Based on the results of his builds, I can see why and happy to get him the parts that he wants to use without any input from me but the end use. I will put my touches on it through the finish on the stock.

Bob

Rifle is not a magic wand

One thing a shooter has to realize is that having a custom rifle built by an accomplished gunsmith does not mean you are all of a sudden going to be a better shooter. The rifle is only part of the equation. Any rifle leaving the shop of a top builder will be finished to the best of their ability with the components used. It is up to the shooter and his skill to make the rifle shine if possible.

"Just because you have the best chicken you still can't make chicken salad out of chicken sheet."

W

Ah, But I also bet the best chef will have some time making chicken salad out of chicken sheet. A lousy rifle will make my lousy shooting even more miserable!

Bob

Back