Grizzly Rod upgrade

I don't know how it happened. I know the bbl was chambered in a CNC lathe, pre-bored and finished off with a chamber reamer. All I can tell you is that the indicator would read almost zero run out on 3 of the 4 jaws. I didn't cast it or try further to figure out how it happened. It's possible something went awry in the boring process I guess. It would read the same thing at 3 different places in the chamber body.

I agree, each one of the popular methods seem to work just fine, the rifles out there attest to that. Pick one that makes you warm and fuzzy and rock on!

Bobby,
I think all of us that have been around the block can relate. I just can't see any advantage of one method over the other. You mentioned an out of round chamber. I've done a lot of playing around and haven't been able to make an out of round chamber. I can do all kinds of goofy things to the chamber, but can't prodce one that is out of round. Certainly not saying it can't be done, but how can you do it.

Recut a chamber using too much tension in a 4-jaw?

al

Al, maybe you and I both are! :D

To take one variable out of the equation I purchased a Bison 4 jaw chuck. I needed a nice chuck anyway. I've checked my own work and found it to be nice and round so I'm not blaming the chuck for the error I saw in the chamber on that particular bbl. I don't know what it was to tell you the truth. When I punched the new chamber in it was not concentric with the tenon on the bbl and amazingly enough the rifle shot really well and has won 2 long range matches thus far. When I initially dialed the chamber in and turned the machine on you could see the threaded tenon bouncing with the naked eye. I read the shank under the recoil lug to be out .010". Customer said chamber it like it is so I did. No problems extracting, brass comes out fine, rifle shoots good. Beats me!

Back