Grizzly 4003G Lathe

R

ron collins

Anyone got one? If so are they any good. Need to know your thoughts.

I have one. I have no regrets. Grizzly has great customer service. I would eventually like to get a heavier duty lathe but for now it's fine. It's great for working through the headstock.

I've got one. Best deal going on a decent gunsmithing lathe. It's belt driven so when you crash it it doesn't blow the gear box (or at least mine didn't!)

I'm happy with it.

al

I've got one. Best deal going on a decent gunsmithing lathe. It's belt driven so when you crash it it doesn't blow the gear box (or at least mine didn't!)

I'm happy with it.

al

Al...How did you manage to get a 4003G that is belt driven? Mine is gear driven. I thought they all were?

I'm completely satisfied with mine. Some people have had some issues but when they make statements something like ".....I'm dissatisfied with the thread finish I get from carbide insert tooling at 70 rpm...." you get an idea where the problem really is.

I'm completely satisfied with mine. Some people have had some issues but when they make statements something like ".....I'm dissatisfied with the thread finish I get from carbide insert tooling at 70 rpm...." you get an idea where the problem really is.

Ray. My experience has been most of the time the problem is in the cheap bearings used in the headstock. After all, this is a bottom of the line lathe made in China.

The gunsmith lathes have upgraded spindle brgs. I specifically remember Shiraz mentioning this in a post. The post is no longer able to be viewed but I do remember it.

I purchased mine this year...and the headstock bearings are junk...as is the bearings in my friends 4003G lathe...Oh they will send you a new set of bearings to put in if you feel so inclined..!

There are "NO" modern day machine shops that do not thread with carbide inserted tools "if you know what I mean"

I saw yer thread here and just had to chime in and show you what I've been doing.
100_99781.jpg
100_99731.jpg
.jpg[/IMG]

Dont worry Grizzly will send you the bearings no charge & you can install them in less than 2 hours. I cant complain much other than the hearing loss from all the gear noise and the $800.00 I spent on a 3 phase motor with a variable frequency drive after I put in 4 new motors from Grizzly's warranty shop. The parts are free and the people are friendly but its frustrating as hell. I say I cant complain because I have produced 5 barrels that placed in the top 5 at the 1000 & 600 yard IBS Nationals in the last 2 years & I did it with a Grizzly lathe.

Last edited:
Here's some threads I cut with my G4003G after I converted to 3 phase power. I did this in B-2 or 220 RPM with a 50% reduction in motor speed, using a Carmex tool with a carbide insert
NoThreadChatter.jpg

Buying a 4003G has really been a learning experience for me, if this thing would have held up & worked like it should I wouldn't know much about a lathe. I have become a lathe mechanic in the last 18 months. I never would have bought a variable frequency drive and a 3 phase motor either and now I wont be without one.
I will have a better machine someday but I don't know what brand it will be.

There are "NO" modern day machine shops that do not thread with carbide inserted tools "if you know what I mean"

eww, you really don't get it do you??

So do you run your carbide tooling at 70rpm?

"if you know what I mean."

al

Thanks for this thread! I was strongly considering buying one of these lathes, and now I won't, for sure. Looks like they could get it right to begin with if they know the bearings are junk. I don't want to buy something I have to perpetually work on. Thanks to all for the info.

Back