Good .22LR for BR at 50Y

Here is a pair of targets I shot at 100. The group on the lower left bull measures about .330". This was with an Annie 2013 with a Lilja tightbore bbl, 27" iirc. The rest of the groups [ patterns ?] were me trying to figure out where to hold in different wind condtions. There was a lot of "OMG" on some of those flyers ! On that last group the wind settled down long enough for me to get all 5 shots off in one condition.

In looking at the LH target you can see that I was figuring things out. I started with bullseye #5 and worked my way backwards shooting bullseye #1 last. I didn't shoot anymore sighters after starting the record bulls.

My best 50 yd group is a .059 shot out of my 40x. When the 5th shot goes into the group it's a heck of a relief !

IBSTargetRifletesttargets.jpg

Last edited:
What you may find is your rifle will like the ammo from one particular machine. That may make it easier when testing to find ammo that will work in your rifle. It won't matter which color box you choose, the Red box stuff comes off the same machines as the black box stuff does. It is marketed as being more consistent but it isn't universal in all rifles just because it costs more.

The reamer I have been using always seems to want 1 machine. The Lilja bbl on the 2013 mentioned above was one of their prefits but the chamber leade needed attention badly. By the time I got the burrs taken care of the chamber does NOT engrave the driving band. I decided to shoot it some to see what happened and not only does the thing shoot very well it is also not sensitive to ammo. I have 4 or 5 bricks of different Eley black box loading machines and velocities and it is easy to find a tuner setting to get any of it to shoot very well. There is one lot of Tennex that shoots extremely well but the difference is small. I also found a lot of Lapua Center X that shoots great. That was what I was using on the above targets at 100 yds.

What all the above is meant to say is that I think the way we set up the chambers to heavily engrave the driving band is what makes the rifles so ammo sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gene Davis 40X is the only one worth any consideration at all. .
What happenned to the match you were going to attend?

Last edited:
This Sunday

The Gene Davis 40X is the only one worth any consideration at all. .
What happenned to the match you were going to attend?

Thank you Don,

I'll be attending this Sunday.

Steve

Steve, just back from shooting. Recorded a .164 5 shot group at 50 yards bench rest with my Turbo. This is a great group for me. I hope I am calculating the group correctly - measure the widest point and subtract the diameter of the bullet, .221 for the 22 lr I believe. I need to take some wood and repair the benches and get an adjustable stool from a music store. Have you decided on a rifle? Take a look at KSS as they have a new website and Dan answers the phone for questions. I also second the Gene Davis rifle as mentioned above.

Dale

Hello All,

What is a currently a good BR rifle in .22LR for 50Y BR? In the $1000 - $1500 range

I like Anschutx, and out of the current Anschutz rifles, which one is the best for benchrest at 50Y.

I saw the 1903 for a reasonable price

Steve

if you like Anschutz

http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/rifles/locklin-anschutz-3061101.html

I'm a shooter who doesn't compete. This is what I shoot. For a 64 y.o. old guy I do pretty well with it. Although these scores aren't great with respect to the guys with custom built rifles, I shot consecutive 241's with it last weekend with Eley Black.

Last edited:
Gene Davis 40X

Steve,
I have one for sale and can send you pictures.

40X , 722 action built by Gene Davis
Lilja barrel
Harrel tuner
McMillian Edge stock w/ weight system
Leupold base and rings
Jewell trigger
Very nice gun.
Previous owner won a state championship in New York with the gun

$1750 shipped in CONUS (no CA)

Mark
mdw@pemtel.net

I like the 40X action better than either Winchester 52, which I used for several years, or the (older) Annie 54, which didn't cam as well as either of the above. Mine is a Hongisto 40X with Lilja barrel, McMillan Stock, Jewell Trigger,and Harrell tuner. that I found in this board's Classifieds and I'm extremely happy with it. I paid about $1,600. After a bit of "adjusting", mine will shoot with any rifles I've shot against, and some are $5,000+ rifles being shot by excellent shooters. Last season, it shot two consecutive 250s and a 249 (missing last shot) on at an IR50/50 Unlimited Match in Maine.

I agree that the Gene Davis 40X is the best of those shown in the Gunbroker ads, at least for ARA or 10.5 to Unlimited matches. (Many benchrest shooters need new rifles like they need holes in their heads, but buy them and get rid of perfectly good ones.)

Picher

I agree with you John on the needing new rifle part, for sure. So much of competing at any sport at any level is the Mental part of the game. I think many folks posess everything they need to win but are just unable to execute properly when they should.

There are folks like me who find a big part of their pleasure in owning new things including new rifles. I have no children and nobody, in general, I care to leave a legacy to so I choose to enjoy having new stuff. I realize I don't need it to shoot the mediocre scores I do but I just like having new things on a somewhat frequent basis. Better to enjoy one's hard earned savings now than end up giving it to the Nurnisg Home if one becomes unfortunate enough to end up there, eh? Over the years I have sold a number of winning rifles to folks simply because I wanted a different port configuration or got tired of the SOS, as they say. I continue to look forward to the next new one all the time.

That said, I believe the biggest hurtle for new shooters and or many shooters is being able to find proper ammo for their rifles. If there was an easier way to match the ammo to the rifle or if rifles were less sensative to ammo lots, the game would be a whole lot easier for folks, either in it or wishing to get in it. I think some folks tend to blame their rifles when they never are fortunate enough to find a lot of ammo that allows the rifle to show it's potential.

Back