glued action

What do you use to hold the brass in the lathe while turning down the rim? Lee

Collets.. Caming collet holder chuck in place of the Lathe Chuck... A standard 3 jaw chuck is workable, bit tedious getting each case in, running true... Then .. All over again on next case... Still have this with collets but much easier to get running true with some minor quick adjustments. Some have a tool ground to cut rim groove to proper depth and rim.. One pass... Will be making myself one too.

http://www.ecolletchucks.com/
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/collet_jaw_chucks.htm
http://www.lathemaster.com/LATHEMASTER 5C COLLET CHUCK.htm

Hey Lee................... See what's ment by "Buy a lathe and spend $$$.... Then there's the tooling..$$$>$$$$$"... Never ends.! Ha..!:rolleyes:
cale

Jeez, I just use the case holder from a Wilson Neck trimming tool. I suppose if you want to be anal, you could use an adjust-tru & indicate in the hole, but we're just turning down the outside of the rim guys.

Yes, Charles method will get it done too. Save the $$$...

As well as the use of a 1/2" drill chuck... Chucked up in the Lathe chuck... Little fittle'n with each case will get each one true enough for case rim turning... Another "on the cheap" brass case "holder"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fella's,
I was not wanting to open up my bolt face on my three lug bat to except .473 heads so I had almost decided to spend the $650 to buy a new bolt until I read this thread, I took a 5/32 or 31/64 collet and turned about 5 .308 cases I had in my pocket here at work on a Hardinge lathe, it worked flawlessly, I then went home this morning and thought I would try a wilson case holder in my little Grizzly lathe, dialed it in and turned about 5 more .308 cases, perfect each one of them. I used my K&M case holder to pull the case from the Wilson case holder so I didn't have to indicate it each time, I think you could easily do 50 cases in 10 minutes or so with this method, not as fast as the collets but fast enough for me, I was going to get on here and brag about my Wilson case holder idea to find other people already do that. I am brand new to the 6ppc, I have been doing 1K br and plan on using this 6ppc as a switch barrel so I can use it for a 11 lb 1K yard BR rifle then switch back to 6ppc for some local fun, this thread has really helped me out,...thanks guy's.
Wayne.

One thing to remember is that with some actions (extractors), you may have to turn down the extractor groove as well as turn down the rim. Easiest way is to grind a tool that cuts the extractor groove too, so you take it down in one step.

Bolts with an exceptionally deep recess may hit on the case ahead of the extractor groove.

Anyway, moral is to try a few; you may need to grind a cutting tool, or use two steps.

I have often wondered about glueing action, I have a new McMillin Edge coming tomorrow for my 30BR , what type of glue is used? is it just your regular bedding material like acraglass?

There are a lot of varying opinions and techniques. It would probably be smart to go to the gunsmith forum & do a search for "glue-ins" or "glue" (I've never been good at quickly giving a precise search topic).

The advantage is you'll get a good idea of the different techniques & compromises, with a number of the posts by gunsmiths who do this for a living.

I'd be happy to give you my system (stolen shamelessly from a combination of Jim Borden & Jerry Stiller techniques), but it's real advantage for me is I'm comfortable with it. For us amateurs, being "comfortable" may lead to more work than is absolutely necessary. Once you go beyond the basics, there isn't a clear "right way."

Last edited:
Back