getting started in br for score

C

captbill

My Doc told me to either quit shooting out of position or find another Doc. So here I am. I have bought some good used gear. But I am unsure how much brass I actually need. I have oner 60 pieces of good brass that came with the rifle. Should I form more ? (30br on a stolle, Kreiger barrel, jewell trigger, kelby's stock, forreset fullength with neck bushing, wilson seater and bald eagle with windage top so far)

Going to preload at home or reload at the range ??? If you're going to reload at home I would suggest another 100 pieces.

thanks for the reply

I was planning on reloading at home, you know what they say about the best laid plans though.

I preload at home

And I carry 150 rounds of brass. I know guys that load at the range, and I think they use between 12-15 pieces per match.

I have decided that 100 is not enough so I made up 25 more that are ready for fireforming next week. At the last match I fired a 5x on the last target and used my last cartridge for the last X. If the wind had have went crazy after the 4th shot I was going to be in trouble.

Since I see you are located in Fredericksburg Va I would assume at least your initial matches will be at Black Creek shooters near Richmond or Fairfax Rod and Gun in Manassas. Both ranges generally shoot one aggregate per day which is 25 record shots plus a warmup match. 60 rounds is almost enough brass, I took 75 last time I went to Black Creek and came home with 20.

Dick

and if you are ready to get started.....

there is a 100 yard score match at Blackcreek this next Saturday 11/7 ... match starts at 10am ... get there before that to get registered, get a bench, etc...... most folks seem to be "in place" a little after 9 am

I only have about 60 pieces and it seems to be just fine. I used to keep track of how many rounds I shot at a match. My average was 49 rounds. I don't know what it is today.

Richmond AKA Black Creek is a great place to shoot. K.C. Young runs the match and is a great host. Ask him to put you on a bench with one of the old timers. It will give you a chance to meet people and use their equipment like flags, front rest and such. By the way, do you shoot left handed or right?

Adrian

I don't have everything yet

I still don't have a rearbag or a scope ans I am sure some small things I will need as well. I will try to come to Blackcreek this saturady though I am not ready to shoot yet.
Think its better to take my time and at least try to get good gear. I have neckd up 57 rounds of once fired out of one of my 6mmbr and have turned a few necks. when they are ifred and sized again I will have 112 or peices of brass which i think should do.
I am still unsure as to a scope and rear bag. I am leaning tward a Sightron scope and a standard $30 Protektor bag that I am told is thier most popular seller.

At Riverbend it would be no problem for you to borrow a scope and rear bag and be able to shoot in the next match. I am sure the same arrangements could be made at Blackcreek.

Good luck

forgot to answer 1 question

I shoot right handed and was lucky enough to get a good deal on a right bolt left port.

I have a scope with rings and a bag you can use if that will get you shooting. let me know and I'll bring it to blackcreek Sat. Steve

From 1 newbie to another

Let me tell you, that there is NEVER a shortage of guys willing to help you any way they can. It is AMAZING what the fellow shooters here in Texas will do for a newbie. I was able to borrow a scope, and a SEB front rest from two different shooters at my last match.

This sport is completely unlike anything else I have ever done. For the most part, the people that you are competing against are the very people to step up and give you the shirt off their back.... funny I used that saying... I also forgot that the guy I borrowed the SEB rest from did give me his long sleeve flannel shirt that day since it was in the 40's and I did not bring a jacket.

Back