General Benchrest Help Needed

• Thread starter grahamtheman020
  • Start date
G

grahamtheman020

I am very familiar with firearms and have a passion for shooting but I know nothing about benchrest shooting and competition. I would like to know any basic information that will help me in getting started shooting. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am very familiar with firearms and have a passion for shooting but I know nothing about benchrest shooting and competition. I would like to know any basic information that will help me in getting started shooting. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to BRC.....

Read these.

http://www.benchrest.com/FAQ/

http://www.6mmbr.com/6PPC.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html

Just a start............ General info like "where your from" ... May find a competitor relativly close by.. Direct hands on with an experienced competitor can really help a new guy get started the RIGHT way saving $$$ and wasted time...

Link to Mike's book.........http://extremerifleaccuracy.com/

Tony Boyers book through Brunos....
http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=TBSC

Any who, Welcome aboard.
cale

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Benchrest Primer and the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide. Everything you need to know is in there. Also you need Mike Ratigan's book.

Dick Wright

The Book Of Rifle Accuracy Tony Boyer

Great advice given so far. Find a Benchrest range, find a mentor, attend matches, buy all the books mentioned, purchase the best equipment you can afford, and practice practice practice and have fun. Welcome. :)

Boyer_Book_Cover.jpg

In a nut-shell; READ, READ, READ.....LEARN, LEARN, LEARN. I almost guarantee you that for each question that you will have, you will find the answers on this sight and many other web sights in current discussion and especially in the archives. Books sure help too. Then with all the new found knowledge you will ultimately be prepared to make the educated choices of the caliber and rifle that serves you best, the required range equipment, and the precision hand loads you will make.

Be prepared to throw out the $39- $175 Gander Mountain/ Midway/Cabellas rifle rest stuff and start over.

I have a Hart rest (very similar to the Sinclair), two seperate adjustible Sinclair tops, and two Protektor leather rear bags and a flat sand bag to boost the Protektor bags when necessary. I also use home made wind flags. With this combo I can shoot any of my rifles acuurately. While I choose not to engage in organized benchrest shooting (yes, my official disclaimer. LOL), I am capable of shooting bughole groups with this equipment and would not feel terribly handicapped competing against these guys. A notch up would be to buy even more specialized and pricey quality stuff like that which our buddy Butch L. here at Shadetree Engineering offers, or Farley, or etc. The elite stuff will allow you to maintain your hold on the rifle without having to reach forward and adjust knobs as I do with the Sinclair tops. But, the discussion of equpment is just one part of the whole equation.

While you're researching and learning, I think ultimately the best thing for you to do would be for you to make a visit to one of these benchrest competitions and watch and see what the big boys use and do.

Randall
:)

PS Well guys. I hope this advice is fair and that I didn't step out of bounds? Perhaps you have can help him with additionl advice.

grahamtheman020 You didn't mention whether you are familiar with reloading. If you aren't I suggest very strongly as others above did....find a mentor. Provide some info as to your location and others in the area will most likely get in touch and provide a beginner's lesson in reloading. There are so many little details in precision loading you may not understand reading books until you learn the basic routine to reloading which is best done time-wise and quality-wise under tutelage of an experienced reloader. If already reload....then you just wasted time reading this instead of one of the books previously mentioned. :) Randy J.

If you do a Google search for "benchrest shooting" and then click on videos (upper LH corner of the results page) it will take you to several good videos. The ones that are by a fellow in Iceland are particularly well done. While they may not be entirely state of the art in all respects, they will give you something interesting to look at that should get you off to a good start. If you do not reload, and have not spent much time shooting from a bench, I would suggest that you might want to go through a bit of a progression, rather than to skip to full competition equipment and practices. I think that you would enjoy it, and while there are many common elements, the less rigorous and informal setting will give you a lower stress start. Tell us more about your shooting background, and we can be more specific.

You brought up a great point Randy J., I am NOT familiar with reloading. I am a very fast learner and am eager to get my hands dirty.

Then your first non reading activity in pursuit of learning to shoot BR would be to take up precision reloading and trying to improve the accuracy of a rifle or rifles you already own.

Dick

San Angelo Texas Benchrest Info

Hey Grahamtheman020, a good way to see what we do is visit one of our shoots. We shoot 100-200 yard shoots each month when the weather is good. Should start up again in Feb or March. We also have a 1000 yard range within 40 miles of San Angelo if you are also interested in long range benchrest. If you want to see what we do, the best way is to visit the "Media" page at www.texasbenchrest.com . There are some good videos of our matches. Benchrest people are always friendly and you will be welcome at any of the shoots across Texas. Dive in!

I agree with post immediately above that if their is a BenchRest match anywhere you can possibly attend by all means go. Attending planning to just watch is fine but don't be surprised if someone loans you a rifle and talks you into shooting. It happens all the time at shoots I frequent.

Dick

San Angelo shooters

The guys in our group are mainly from the San Angelo area, metroplex, and south Texas. I know Joe Duke and a few san Angelo guys and I shoot 100-200 yard vfs and group. We are currently toying with some nbrsa matches at these ranges. We will know more in a couple months.

There are several of us that shoot nbrsa, but only at 100-200 yards. We had a sanctioned match here in San Angelo this year. But few if any of this group shoot nbrsa at long distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Austin Is still planning on having thier shoot the last Sunday in December, I will be there, and will have an extra bench gun you can most certianly borrow. PM me to let me know, as I was planning on inviting someone else to try to get hooked on BenchRest shooting. Just need to know if your a lefty or a righty so I can bring the correct front rest.

Yeah...Tymn...why don't you guys over there in San Angelo, Texas have some registered IBS or NBRSA benchrest matches.???:p:p:p

Back