friggin' awesome

alinwa

oft dis'd member
A while back I posted about how sometimes when throating you get a little "smear" (or schmeer in Yiddisch) on the trailing side of the cut. Easily resolved with a Hawkeye.

I recently did one by hand, in the field on an old fireform barrel and decided to use it to test a 50 dollar "Rifle Bore Scope" camera I bought off Amazon. Fitty Dollah, out the door.....

I didn't get a good pic, I was fighting to hold focus, the resolution on this thing is ASTOUNDING! But I did take this picture using both hands and my teeth... and I'm impressed.

I think it captured a schmeer

WIN_20190808_11_59_23_Pro.jpg

I took 6, I'll post another one.....

This camera is so steenkin' good I might just buy a few more, keep 'em handy-like

WIN_20190808_11_59_12_Pro.jpg

ohhh yup, there's another one! (I haven't even looked at these pics, just took 'em 15 min ago.....)

Happy.

another throating burr.... and some gapspace carbon that didn't come off last cleaning pass!

WIN_20190808_11_59_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190808_11_59_40_Pro.jpg

Al, that's pretty good. I like the camera option .....

And that's actually why I tried this thing.... the camera option. I'd tried the "shooting company name-brand" in the past and was underwhelmed.

I've been tasked in the past with assessing several rifles which quit shooting prematurely. I got the film but it took hours. I like to be able to assess while filming, take still shots, all without disassembling the rifle. I've got the longest Hawkeye setup available and the stock often gets in the way. Basically, with this setup the stock simply isn't a part of the equation, just poke it in either end, it'll reach. and since it's just a camera, the computer does all the work re video VS still shot.

For this Luddite it's a real blessing.

All a name, part number or any other means to find it on Amazon would be very helpful. For only fifty bucks it sure does appear to be well worth the money and thanks for sharing the pics.

All a name, part number or any other means to find it on Amazon would be very helpful. For only fifty bucks it sure does appear to be well worth the money and thanks for sharing the pics.

I can only answer for myself, but here's the one I bought

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTQF24F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's called the "Teslong Rifle Bore Scope, 0.2inch Gun Barrel Borescope Camera with Short Focus Camera, Side-View Mirror, for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android" and I have absolutely no idea whether or not it's "a good one"......

I've also bought about 6prs of dentist's glasses in the last year, the ones with the googley eyes and light like he uses to peer up your faceholes and these have been all sorts of brands. Sometimes I re-order another set from the "order again" function and get another brand :) or different color or whatever but they've all been equally good IMO. BTW my dentist has these googley glasses ranging from 50.00 to 3000.00 "name-brand thru the dental supply house"......and he says the same thing

Finally bought a Teslong

I've been mulling over Al's recommendation since August. Finally, with Christmas around the corner, I got on Amazon and ordered the thing. I just now plugged it in and tried it. Al is right!

I thought the brochure was a bit misleading as I couldn't follow the instructions exactly, but I got it done anyhow. The enclosed readme file was more accurate. I'm sure that with practice I'll have an even better experience.

I have a Hawkeye with the angled eyepiece attachment and use it religiously. With the Teslong, the ability to capture photos and videos as a big attraction. However, even bigger was the ease of seeing the chamber area and leade of lever and pump actions. Also, my back gets tired bending over to look through the Hawkeye. With the Teslong, I can just sit there on a stool and manipulate it.

scanned through a bunch of reviews -yep- works with windows 7- which is my op system.

Microsoft will cease supporting Windows 7 in about a month: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/windows/end-of-windows-7-support. That means security patches and the like will no longer be created*. If you're online you will want to move to Win10, Apple, or Linux (or something more exotic).

GsT

* They have made a few exceptions in the past to stem the spread of particularly bad viruses after Win XP support ceased.

I upgraded two Windows 7 PCs to Windows 10 a couple of years ago and found it to be quite easy. It was free too! I liked XP but learned to love Windows 7. Now I like Windows 10 just fine.

The focus, is an important, and adjustable feature. AS bore size increases, the judicious use of [various sized/thickness] O-rings serves as extra hands fingers keeping the flexible "wand" relatively straight. The image quality is very good. Teslong is also making a "wireless"/bule-tooth" version now, compatible with i-phone! The wireless version should be more user friendly - especially on barrels attached to an action - the cord should not wind-up into a knot!:p

The mirror/wand will just fit into a 20 Cal. barrel, which is also nice. It lacks a swiveling wand:USB connection, so it's easier to rotate an off the action barrel - I use a hillbilly v-block made using a cardboard box.:p The light is over-kill, but manageable.:eek: I wont be scrapping my Hawkeye, but the image capture and image quality (both still and video) are superior. RG

Thanks guys for checking these out...... I agree with everything that's been said. I even agree that I still love my Hawkeye and still use it most in the shop but I'm impressed enough with the camera setups that I bought several more because one way I've found to store them is in my gun cases under the foam. And, after using them on several laptops, on the tablet I've dedicated to my target camera and on my android phones..... I've basically settled on the Android as my choice for use with the camera.

Soooo, I've now got a camera in my short-range setup, another in my 600-1000 setup and in my score setup. AND, I keep one out by the lathe.....and to use on my shooting bench. And they easily work with the phone in my pocket.

FOR ME, just being able to go in and check gapspace and throating from the muzzle without having to drill out primer pockets makes it worth it...... not to mention setting toolbits inside dies (I'm modifying factory dies more and more) looking inside cases, showing fellow shooters how their particular case fits their chamber while at the bench shooting..... just not having to pull barreled actions from stocks, OR to pull barrels..... I find more uses every day! (I've looked into cylinder bores..... inside a wall for wiring, into a drain....)

perty kewl tool and I haven't wrecked one yet

The instructions included with these bore scopes is very poor. I struggled with mine until I read the tips thread over on AccurateShooter.com: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/teslong-bore-scope-tips.3989755/ Results since have been very good. I have the one with the USB port computer connection and a buddy has the IPhone model. Both work very well. Mine works with either Mac OS Catalina or Windows 10 with no additional software needed.

DITTO that (red-above)!:confused: The mac hooked right up - the PC required some head scratching and trial& error.:p The focusing instructions are almost i , "fine print" - easy to over-look . . . :eek:RG

Back