fresh meat

If I had to rely on one rifle for my Pennsylvania varmint and deer hunting it would be the much neglected 250-3000. Anything the .257,6mm rem or .243 will do the little .250 will do with less powder,better barrel life,equal or better accuracy and equal killing power. You can buy new Norma or lapua 22-250 brass, run them thru your 250 fl die and your ready to go. If you can't find a factory rifle get your self a used short 700 or a 722. If there ever was a perfect sized action for this cartridge these are the ones. Make sure your gunsmith uses a 10"twist barrel. Once you get this little outfit togather then go out and get some N140 or 4320 powder and some 80 grain Barnes XTSS bullets. I'm able to push them along at 3200+ fps. Accuracy runs well under one inch. With modern powder and bullets this little cartridge is a world away from what is was in 1915.

P.S.
I've never been a believer in jumping bullets until I tried these Barnes bullets. As I was about to give up on them I decided I had nothing to lose so loaded up a few with a .090 jump. That's where it was at! Fellow from Barnes told me some barrels require a .120 jump. Never to old to learn I guess!

Back