Forming new brass! without a projectile

Dusty,
Thanks for the info. I'll tell the wife. We haven't seen you for a couple of years, don't be a stranger....are you coming to East/West.

Hovis

We would have been there but the school year was extended because of snow days and Beth drives a bus. School didn't get out until June 6th. She won't let me out of her sight for a whole week with you guys.....can't blame her...lol.

Hovis

I think it was more you cant go without her! I was wondering if she still drove the bus. That knocks out a few early shoots

Got a nice form!

Thanks for all your advise.
I ended up using some fast shotgun powder, as i have no bullseye, and some left over media from the tumbler.
I wanted to use the cream of wheat method, as i have heard about it for so many years!

I loaded 2 grains and up in half grain increments till 4 grains, then filled to the bottom of the case neck with the tumbler media.
At 4 grains that was enough to remove any creases around the neck
I lubed the case and fired it while keeping things pointed up.
The last case is my old case, which is formed from a .221. As can be seen the case looses all its neck length when forming.
The new cases have had .060" trimmed off them, since.
Here is some pics of the results.

Attachments

• 004 (2) - Copy.JPG
    004 (2) - Copy.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 009 (2) - Copy.jpg
    009 (2) - Copy.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 168
Looks nice..... :)

Now reach up into the body/shoulder junction with a pick and make sure there's not a deposit of crud up in there. 50,000psi irons stuff in perty tight.

Looks nice..... :)

Now reach up into the body/shoulder junction with a pick and make sure there's not a deposit of crud up in there. 50,000psi irons stuff in perty tight.

Thanks for the tip,
Will do!
Jim

Back