For the car guys among us

Todays project wasn't as fun but just as necessary.....the supercharged Coyote 5.0 came out of the Cobra Jet for a freshen up. These are like 10 lbs of poo in a 5 lb sack in the engine bay. The underside work is not glamorous...fuel soot combined with a bit of oil film from the engine evap system and transmission catch can combine to form a nasty black goo.

You can see how tight things are by how the drivers side header tubes have to snake around the steering shaft. When it was built, the headers were fabricated with the engine set in the K frame, then the body shell was dropped over the K frame to complete the build. Getting them off later is up to you!:

Q08HFHlh.jpg

With the kicked out Stef's pan, there's only 1/8" of room to get it wiggled in or out from the K member and the mid plate on the transmission. We've done it enough times to know the quirks, though. ;)

Al, you have what looks like nuts with small tubes welded to the headers. Smokey did that to check the exhaust flame color...I think.

Mort

Al, you have what looks like nuts with small tubes welded to the headers. Smokey did that to check the exhaust flame color...I think.Mort

Those are for the sensors for each cylinder. Probes go into each one and send the information from the exhaust to the RacePak computer. The RacePak then displays it as fuel/air ratio for each cylinder. Then you can tweak each cylinders injector to get the fuel/air ratio you want. The Mega Squirt fuel management system let's you adjust each injectors pulse width, dwell time, rise-to-peak time, etc. independently. It's like changing jets electronically. ;)

Here's a few of it on the dyno. You can see the Mega Squirt fuel management system, the EGT probes from the headers into the Race Pak, the wiring for the ECM and other details. There were still 3-4 other systems to get wired in when these was taken (wide band O2, etc.). There aren't many facilities in the country that have the capability or resources to dyno one of these supercharged Coyote engines.

uGX26tOl.jpg

9xZMve1l.jpg

GJV2ZMjl.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy these.

Last edited:
It looks like you're making good power with the '64, Dave. :) -Al

Having fun Al. Making suspension mods this winter. Replacing engine that has 20 passes with a new improved old iron 409 block. Need to get down to 10 flat.....

Looks as though you're staying busy between the car shop and the shooting hobby.

Later
Dave

That sounds more expensive than replacing barrels in our shooting hobby.

The bad part is building these 409's is expensive. The good part is that I'm using my 3 kid's inheritance to fund the project. With that in mind, projects like this are more cost effective when I divide by 3. There are lots of crate engines for a lot less money and a lot more horsepower out there, but they ain't 409's. Current engine is 480 ci, new one is 511ci. They say too many rpm's on the 511, and the old iron block may split in half.

The engine I'm taking out will be a spare. I lost a year and a half because I tore down a perfectly good running engine because I wanted to go faster. I should have built one of my spare blocks.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
The good part is that I'm using my 3 kid's inheritance to fund the project. With that in mind, projects like this are more cost effective when I divide by 3.

It sounds like you've got it figured out that the net cost to you is zero. :)

It sounds like you've got it figured out that the net cost to you is zero. :)

More or less....just acquired the cash over a lifetime of working...

If I don't race and shoot too much I'll be ok.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Looks like a fun and project, Al, and a lot of work. I wish I knew how to work on engines.

Yeah, I can't recall the many many times that a person came into my shop and said his neighbor was a race car mechanic. This has only been 55yrs. I just ask them if he fixed their race car.

You can tell when a neighborhood is going downhill like in the ghetto. It’s when mechanics move in and you can tell it by all the cars are on blocks with no wheels.

Busy off-season. This was a rolling chassis that ran a ProCharged 481X engine combination. It's being fitted with the 2019-later supercharged Cobra Jet engine for NHRA BB/A class in Competition Eliminator. My involvement has been pretty minor up to this point but I thought you might like to see it.

edROyrDl.jpg

Nothing fits so everything gets fabbed:

VI0ZDktl.jpg

lbxKm6Wl.jpg

Decided on side mounting the engine instead of the usual front engine plate mounting system. This will allow more room up front for the supercharger drive system and tensioner.

Eaa9QB8l.jpg

L2gjoLNl.jpg

Gets busy up front with the eight individual coil packs and the Fuel Tech system. Still have to fab an aluminum intercooler tank and put it where the car will be well balanced with it.

3YGQehtl.jpg

The new supercharger will be completely different...the intercooler is on top of the supercharger and the cold air goes directly into the supercharger. In the older version pictured, the air comes out of the supercharger and is cooled before going into the intake ports.

Last edited:
Altereds

Very nice Al and much more complicated than what I'm use to. As you said most of these BB/A cars would end up running Comp.

At NHRA National Meets short wheelbase A/GS cars would run BB/A (Anglia, Austin etc.). At local tracks and match races that distinction was ignored.

I think the assumption was the short wheelbase cars gave some kind of an advantage, if so there was a point of diminishing return. AA/FA cars were difficult to control and a longer wheelbase would have helped, but that wasn't the point. The more out of control those AA/FA cars were the more the spectators enjoyed it.

Mort

Thanks for the pictures.

Last edited:
You can tell when a neighborhood is going downhill like in the ghetto. It’s when mechanics move in and you can tell it by all the cars are on blocks with no wheels.

Francis, I resent that. Never been any dead cars at my home and neither at the homes of the mechanics that I know. The ones you see are shadetree folks that get started on something and then the owners have them towed to a reputable shop.

I was referring to the Detroit ghetto. I saw it first hand and for many years. And with no back up plan to fix the wrecks. It’s worse now than what it was 30 years ago. When we had a fire in one of these derelicts the second thing we did was pop the trunk to look for bodies. and sometimes we found one. A sad commentary on our times.
Today we get stories like these.
https://www.wxyz.com/news/2-detroit-police-officers-found-dead-at-livonia-townhome

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/pr...s-woman-pregnant-by-the-same-man-sheriff-says

Al, did you guys build that pan? Thats a nice piece of work.Mort

It was originally done by Rousch. It ended up getting modified to keep more oil around the pickup, though. It was great on the dyno (static) but the oil would stack up going down track and aerate the returning oil. You could see it on the data download as a gradual pressure loss starting right before the 2-3 shift.

Hot, thin oil makes more power. Hot foamy oil...not so much. Plus it hurts parts. :(

Back