Flinching

dmort

There is a ton of advice here for improving your shooting but I have never seen anyone address flinching. I'm sure most people here don't but if you are in doubt here is a way to find out.
When I was in boot camp qualifying your range instructor would sometimes hand you a M1 clip with a dud....and thats all it would take.

Mort

I fight it all the time. For me it has to do with adrenalin. I'm not recoil shy but I get to crankin and will sometimes even falsely pull at the trigger. I employ the Dutch Uncle in my head quite often. I once spoiled an almost 250- 24 by jerking the trigger on the last shot that went of a 9. This with a Varmint Hunter rifle as well. Would have broken the record even.

I got tagged by the scope two or three times early in my benchrest career and found that a small shoulder recoil pad took away any flinch that I had. I would find myself all scrunched up behind the gun as I anticipated the recoil. Once I started using the recoil pad I could see the flags again and was actually able to watch the muzzle flash as I broke the shot. Made a huge difference in my scores. Past makes the one that I use now and it fits discretely under my shirt - my manziere or bro as some call it :):LOL:

I got tagged by the scope two or three times early in my benchrest career and found that a small shoulder recoil pad took away any flinch that I had. I would find myself all scrunched up behind the gun as I anticipated the recoil. Once I started using the recoil pad I could see the flags again and was actually able to watch the muzzle flash as I broke the shot. Made a huge difference in my scores. Past makes the one that I use now and it fits discretely under my shirt - my manziere or bro as some call it :):LOL:
I have 1" of Sorbathane on all my guns now :) Don't really care much about ascetics.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but the muzzle blast can get me at times. I started wearing ear plugs as well as noise cancelling ear muffs and it's much better now.

Back