Flag priority

Hope this isn't too off-topic....

On the rare occasions when we get 'no wind' conditions up here, there's something else out there ready to bite you. Take this for what it's worth, as it's just my observations and attempt to describe what happens. I could be totally wrong about this. Okay, here goes:

The late Dan Hackett described it to me as slow, rolling mirage. You can't really see it, but it's there. I believe there are different layers/blobs of air density that slowly tumble across the range in these 'no wind' conditions. In good light, this can be seen as the rings on the target fade in/out as the blobs slowly tumble by. In overcast conditions, it's almost impossible to see. Off-focusing your spotting scope can at times help you pick it up between the firing line and the target. Some, like Randy Robinett, are absolute masters of the slow, rolling mirage condition.

It's effect can be particularly snotty when the firing line is elevated such as at the Holmen, Wi. range where we need 12'-15' flag poles in the middle of the 100 yd. range. And even though we aren't shooting into the dip of the range, the air density is different there than up higher. Anyone that's ever ridden a mororcycle will know how different the air feels when you drop down into a dip...it gets cooler, more dense. And while these densities are layered, it's not like the division between layers is exact and well defined. They intermingle and bubble along like The Blob in the old Steve McQueen movie. It's my belief that these rolling blobs of density are what turn the flags when there is no apparent wind across the range.

This last season we had these exact conditions at Holmen, Wi. for the June IBS Score Two Gun event. Sunday morning had had z-e-r-o winds and bright, sunny skies for the 100 yd. VfS yardage. My sighter on the warmup showed that conditions were just what I had feared...shots dropping out, popping up and hanging out the sides for no apparent reason on the flags. If I shot a three shot group as fast as I could on the sighter, they would all go into a tiny hole about .150-.180 or so. So I messed around on the sighter trying something I'd been wanting to use in these conditions and decided to shoot the yardage that way unless the winds picked up.

It seemed to work as I shot a 250-24X to win the 100 yd. and set a new range record. Mike Bigelow and Craig Nagel were right behind me with 22X and 21X's...they may have been doing the same thing. ;) There were only five shooters who shot 250's at 100 yds. in this apparent 'trigger pull' condition.

Scary......:eek: I'm glad our average daytime wind speed here is 16 mph. Our 24 hr. wind speed (day and night) average is 13 mph. A little breeze cleans up all that tricky mirage. :)

Thanks for keeping us updated on you work with this, Jerry. Always great to follow your work and results.

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited:
The closer flag

As others have mentioned, the laws of motion clearly show that the closest flag will have more effect on displacement from the line of departure.

A bullet hit with X wind will drift until X wind stops the drift. The purpose of the illustration is to show that equal opposing winds at different distances do not offset but rather limit the drift....created by the initial influence.

attachment.php

Not all rifles are inflicted with "dumb" shots in a calm. If another competitor has one of those rifles and a calm is presented....you lose.

Attachments

• wind.jpg
    wind.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
when it appears to be calm and is overcast; no mirage can be seen and the first flag turns 90*? Why is it that the simple action of the flag turning causes the bullet to jump out into the 8 ring- no wind?
I did notice the other week in a match when it was calm that when a shooter several benches to my right doubled with me my bullet went 1/2 a bullet width to the left. I saw it happen and was somewhat surprised.

Pete, I believe Dave is saying that, even though you detect no mirage, the minimal air movement still displaced the target image - yes, in the direction indicated by the flag - so, you were aiming "down-wind", as opposed to into the "wind". Well, maybe! :p There could be a "bend" which takes place closer to the target - yep, thank goodness for sighters! :eek: I agree with ALinwa - the air is always moving . . . and so is the image we're trying to hit! :eek:;) The REAL question is, HOW MUCH - where is the image, in relation to the TARGET? :D This is what the "old timers called "SLOW MIRAGE"! :eek:

It seems not that long ago, that Gene Begs was skeptical of "SLOW MIRAGE" - until he saw it in the tunnel! :eek: Shooting in an apparent "dead-calm" can be creepy! :eek: RG

As others have mentioned, the laws of motion clearly show that the closest flag will have more effect on displacement from the line of departure.

I love your way with words Wilbur. You never use two words when one will do.

To anyone else who hasn't noticed yet, we live and shoot in an ever moving sea of air. The trick is to have the bullet hit where you want it. Once your bullet passes the crown of your rifle, it is given to the wind.

Concho Bill

Last edited:
And then there is the island

Ever notice the wind moving across a calm body of water. It's like little islands of wind. If you look closely each little individual island (or gust) has constantly changing velicities all across that visible island. That little sucker can slip between flags and be undetected by them.

Now the big question, since these islands of wind are not constant in velocity or direction, how are we going to detect and adjust for these variants?

Those of you who were at St Louis when Jerry had his electronic gadget strung up would realize he has put a lot of thought and effort into accurately measuring this moving mass that screws with our expertly crafted little bullet.

Now then, If Jerry will just tell us what he has figured out.

Hellsbells, if he would write a book about it I'd buy several copies!!

Thanks Al and others

This confirms my worst fear. I went from shooting a 4x paper to a 1 x to a 5x to a zero and then another one, etc. One and three gave me something I could see while the others didn't. I didn't find a lot of comfort on the sighter either, I might add.

I must say, I find a 45X scope a disadvantage at 100 after being so use to a 6x scope. It seems almost impossible to miss so badly when one looks through one and shoots. I gave up VFS years ago for that reason. I found it very unsetteling to be able to see so well and to suck so badly at executing.

Last edited:

A bullet hit with X wind will drift until X wind stops the drift. The purpose of the illustration is to show that equal opposing winds at different distances do not offset but rather limit the drift....created by the initial influence.
Wilbur, I'm not sure Newton's law is applicable in this situation. Notice the "I'm not sure . . ."

Let's suppose you are in outer space, in a ship. If you have a burn, the vector (direction) introduced will continue even though it is a short burn -- unless/until another force changes the vector again.

But within the atmosphere -- a given when we use the word "wind" -- there is an other force. The analogy would be a car going down a Texas road, (they tend to be straight). The tires are in contact with the road. A short burst of wind hits you sideways, from the left. You move right a bit, but even without correcting the steering, you don't wind up in Denver.

OK, hard not to correct the steering.

A bullet in flight, we are told, orients itself nose first into the center of pressure. It completes this orientation within one rotation. Drag is a force, and is "applied" along the axis of the bullet. So, a left wind, the bullets points into it (within 1 foot of down range travel), and moves to the right. Wind stops. Bullet reorients itself to a pure downrange attitude. There is a "new" force to counter the right-moving vector that came from the bit of wind.

I'd be interested to hear what someone like Brian Litz would say. Even more interested if Jerry Hensler could come up with a good test that works, since what-you-see trumps theory anyday.

The "Hoss Fly" in the ointment

is the feakin "mirage" One can get their mind around wind but rolling air is quite another matter. Did newton have anything to say abour ROLLING AIR MASSES?

I suspect I am walking on someone who wanted to simply discuss the theory of Wind moving a bullet and I am sorry if I have done so.

No wind at home

When there is no wind at my range at home strange things happen. Lots of times a flag will lift up and away from the flagpole. It usually ends up somewhere about 20 to 30 degrees angle from the post and then just hangs there at that angle for a while and does not even twitch. It looks as if it is frozen in a straight line at that angle. I suppose there is some updraft causing this?

Needless to say,l is never waste time shooting when the wind is not doing something.

Later
Dave

There is an entire book on this, as well as several others that touch on it also...

The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters by a couple of competitive Fullbore shooters up in Canada (Miller & Cunningham).

They didn't just give their opinions... they polled a number of other top-level shooters (such as David Tubb) and/or sources for their views and experiences on various topics. One of which was 'near wind vs. far wind'. One (and only one) dissenting view point - the FBI sniper manual advised giving more value to the far wind. Every (and I mean every) other source emphasized the near wind.

Nancy Tompkins in her book 'Prone & Long Range Rifle Shooting' also gives more value to the 'near wind'.

Then we have Mike Ratigan, who in his book 'Extreme Rifle Accuracy' mentions the far flags being more indicative/truthful.

Things get interesting when you have several people who would be considered extremely qualified in their respective fields (Fullbore, Prone & Long Range i.e. 1000yd shooting, and point-blank group Benchrest) - and they give somewhat different answers.

Me, I lean towards the near flag theory myself, based on simple reasoning and my limited experience on the range. Then again, I wouldn't try telling Mike Ratigan he's wrong, either! ;)

Last edited:
Wilbur, I'm not sure Newton's law is applicable in this situation. Notice the "I'm not sure . . ."

The analogy would be a car going down a Texas road, (they tend to be straight). The tires are in contact with the road. A short burst of wind hits you sideways, from the left. You move right a bit, but even without correcting the steering, you don't wind up in Denver.

OK, hard not to correct the steering.

I know something about Texas roads, Charles. If you don't correct the steering, the bar ditch and the barbed wire fence will stop you and very shortly. :)

I have yet to find anything to contradict Newton's three laws of motion. Isaac Newton was another guy who used few words.

Concho Bill

Just one more opinion

From my experience, condition reading is VERY Range dependent. IF there is wind, sometimes only one flaqg's indication matters with a small and usual caviet. The first or closest flag; if it moves to a 90* position USUALLY it will have a prefound affect on a bullet and must be watched. At other ranges, the flag closest to the target will be the most influential. I believe this is causes by what I refer to as funnels, openings in treelines or man made structures. I gave up on pacing off flag placement and try to find the funnels.

I think generally if one can find the holes and the one hole where the greatest amount of velocity roars through they are a long way toward knowing what to do.

I also think there is a difference between what we Benchresters find in reading the wind and what the Longer distance shooters find; don't know that for a fact but think so. They aren't trying to shoot each bullet into one hole the size of a bullet although I am sure they would like to. They generally have more space to work with; Prolly get flamed BIG TIME for saying that, aye?

Pete,

Not entirely untrue; even the F-Class center is somewhat 'generous' compared to 100-200yd BR. Then again, not so much compared to a 600-1000yd BR target (just going by the scoring rings). Part of the difference stems from we do get wind feedback, albeit delayed, every shot - but that takes time. Some styles (Fullbore), effectively make you wait for another shooter to fire before you can shoot again - so no 'machine-gunning' the target and running a stable condition; the shooter has to re-evaluate the wind each and every time, as I'm sure people do between shots in point-blank BR. We just don't get an opportunity to run-n-gun like you do, as much as we might like to ;)

Also, we shoot team matches, where one of the shooters (or an extra person) acts a 'wind coach', i.e. their sole purpose in life is to watch the conditions and dope the wind to keep the shooter in the middle. Just a wee bit of thought has gone into how to win matches like that over the years ;)

One thing I've wondered about is whether the different bullet styles (primarily short, flat base bullets for point blank BR, vs. the more aerodynamic boat tail bullets for long range) perhaps do fly a bit differently in the wind. I mean, obviously the latter retains its velocity better down range, but perhaps something else about the designs affects how they respond to wind at different points in their flight path? Dunno. Just a thought.

Monte

Back