fitting a RamAge barrel

H

Hman1956

I have a question about fitting a RamAge barrel on my Rem.700 LA.
the barrel was made by Mcgowen custom. it came engraved with the chamber in on it but the I set the head space with the go-nogo gauges
the engraving ends up on the right hand side and upside down. is there a way of fixing it so that it ends up on the left and right reading?

thanks
Bill Hodkinson

Your Remington has 16 threads per inch. So, if you set the barrel back 1/32' AND RECHAMBER IT YOU WILL HAVE MOVED THE LETTERING 180 DEGREES.

Sorry but that is the only solution I know of.

so with the RamAge system becoming more popular, I can see that being one big drawback. I would hope that the barrel makers will give their customers the option of not having the engraving done. the build looks great, but it does take away from it looks "mint":)

Bill Hodkinson

Markings on a barrel..

Only reflect their position with consideration taken for the headspacing and proper recoil lug thickness on a given rifle.
You want to have your markings on top, then you must how much you must machine the setback to fit the recoil lug you have, and then work on your chamber requirements.
The other way to look at things, is: is it important to see what the marking show, or what you have to shoot with?

Cheers,

Phil Fortin aka tazzman

so with the RamAge system becoming more popular, I can see that being one big drawback. I would hope that the barrel makers will give their customers the option of not having the engraving done. the build looks great, but it does take away from it looks "mint":)

Bill Hodkinson

If I'm not mistaken FFL gunsmiths are required to mark the cartridge name on barrels they chamber and sell??

I'd bet that if at your request and at your expense, if you would send them your action with instructions of where you want the markings hey would comply.

while I agree with you Jerry, the appeal of the RemAge it that you don't have to send the action.
The way it shoots IS the most important part of a custom barrel.

(but it still looks funky)

Bill Hodkinson

so with the RamAge system becoming more popular...
I was really excited about them initially but I don't know if they are going to survive fad stage. A savage prefit gets you 90% of the way there without having the added problems of a nut on your barrel. I suspect (but have no honest data) that the majority of gun owners who could put a remage barrel on their action to the same headpace three times in a row also own a lathe, and if they can't do that then I don't know if it's a great idea to be swapping barrels.

Possible Fix

If you are using the stock Remington recoil lug you could go to one of the thicker lugs and then see where the marking is in relation to where you want it and remove the correct amount of materiel to make it so. The materiel may have to be from the lug or from the shoulder of the tenon.

G'Day
John

Last edited:
Just side mill or file a flat where the lettering is, polish it up nice and neat, and re-engrave the caliber in the center of that window. It looks good and problem solved.

If I'm not mistaken FFL gunsmiths are required to mark the cartridge name on barrels they chamber and sell??

I'd bet that if at your request and at your expense, if you would send them your action with instructions of where you want the markings hey would comply.

The Savage barrels that Midway sells do not come stamped, so there is no requirement for stamping. At least the two Midway barrels that I screwed in for friends had no markings. Even Savage roll stamps their barrels after they're on the action.

I find it easier to fit both Remington & Savage barrels with a shoulder. Unthreaded blanks are cheaper. I thread & fit them myself to that particular action. If you don't have a lathe, your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Ron

My FFL officer stated to me that every Barrel that leaves my shop has to be clearly marked or stamped and the marks have to be a min of .003 deep. Lee

Would you politely ask him where that LAW is ?

And
To whom does it apply.

for years batf said you could only by a rifle in your home sate or surrounding state,
right up till the time someone said show me the law.
there was none, it was an opinion, not a law.

My FFL officer stated to me that every Barrel that leaves my shop has to be clearly marked or stamped and the marks have to be a min of .003 deep. Lee

the contiguous state rule (law)

Would you politely ask him where that LAW is ?

And
To whom does it apply.

for years batf said you could only by a rifle in your home sate or surrounding state,
right up till the time someone said show me the law.
there was none, it was an opinion, not a law.

applies ONLY to handguns. Long guns can be purchased anywhere they are legal to be sold. I have purchased a number of rifles in Ohio and PA, neither of which touches the borders of Iowa. As for barrel markings, I would definitely make the BATF agent show me chapter and verse. If it is in fact real, most BR gunsmiths have been breaking the law a LONG time.

David

WRONG
Handguns are instate only.
Read what i posted not what you want it to say.
It clearly says HOW IT USE TO BE even tho there was no law that said so.

applies ONLY to handguns. Long guns can be purchased anywhere they are legal to be sold. I have purchased a number of rifles in Ohio and PA, neither of which touches the borders of Iowa. As for barrel markings, I would definitely make the BATF agent show me chapter and verse. If it is in fact real, most BR gunsmiths have been breaking the law a LONG time.

David

As I read it, this is the law.

There may be a provision that if a barrel is not completely finished that it doesn't have to be marked?? After all, the reality, it isn't something that can immediately placed in service as a firearm. At this point it simply just a piece of steel.

/

I thought the .003" lettering was for the receiver itself. I have a BAT that predated that, where it is just engraved, the next one I bought was stamped deeper.

While it's good practice to have barrels marked for none other than safety purposes, for one of these nut barrels it's not practical. You could mark it out beyond the stock so it could be seen regardless of the position.

As I read it, this is the law.

There may be a provision that if a barrel is not completely finished that it doesn't have to be marked?? After all, the reality, it isn't something that can immediately placed in service as a firearm. At this point it simply just a piece of steel.

/

I think Jerry is correct. The barrel/caliber marking rules apply to complete firearms, manufacture markings apply to receivers and firearms offered for sale that are ready to use. There is a difference between gunsmithing (installing a custom barrel) and offering a complete, ready to use firearm (or manufacturing a receiver/frame and offering it 'for sale').

boy did we get off topic

so after thinking about it there is NO of fixing it without making the chamber a bit deeper.
so on to the next question,
I put the first few rounds down the barrel today, 75% load of RL-22 (70gr.) I'm getting some black carbon back at the head of the cartridge.
and yes it is headspaced correctly. the chamber is a RUM "match" turned necks @.334 the Brass is new Norma with the necks turned to .330.
is that because the reduced load did not expand the cartridge fully? I checked the length of the cartridge, it was the same size as the unfired ones.

so after thinking about it there is NO of fixing it without making the chamber a bit deeper.
so on to the next question,
I put the first few rounds down the barrel today, 75% load of RL-22 (70gr.) I'm getting some black carbon back at the head of the cartridge.
and yes it is headspaced correctly. the chamber is a RUM "match" turned necks @.334 the Brass is new Norma with the necks turned to .330.
is that because the reduced load did not expand the cartridge fully? I checked the length of the cartridge, it was the same size as the unfired ones.

Huh? Where did the idea of using a 75% load come from? Without knowing the bullet specs and powder, I couldn't say for sure, but probably. Start with a recommended starting load from a good loading manual, or reduce the max load 10%. There are some very serious pitfalls to using excessively reduced loads and it can even be dangerous.

Back