First hand experience Testing at Lapua

I read on rimfireaccuracy.com that a different reamer or length of chamber is different when setting up for Lapua ammo.

Chuck

Folks will try most anything to build a better mousetrap. I'm sure there is some evidence of successful "Lapua" chambers but it's anecdotal at best.

We went through about 18 lots of ammo and found 5 lots that shot well in one or more of the three rifles. The best groups were a little under 14MM outside. That's ok but not great, about .550 of an inch. You could tell by the vertical spread that the rifles were out of tune for the ammo. Yesterday I spent the day at the range retuning the two 10.5 rifles and 10 shot groups are now at about 12.6 mm, a little under 1/2 inch. Chambers are a Calfee .2255 straight and a Freeland. I can see no difference in accuracy from the chambers but the Freeland seems to build up less carbon in leade. The .225 is on a Broughton 4C and the Freeland is on a Benchmark 3 groove. This is pretty much the same accuracy as I was getting from the best lots of Eley I was using so I'm guessing it's as good as I can shoot. From yesterdays test I got the impression that the Lapua had a tad more horizontal wind drift than the Eley I tested it against but had less vertical wind effect and while it was more it seemed more predicable if that makes any sense.

Dennis

All those are measured outside to outside. I use a Niel Jones measuring device to take mine and of course they use an electronic measuring system.

Dennis

Back