First attempt @ threads

H

huntinco

This was my first attempt at making threads, and I’m hoping for some input from you guys. My threads I made ended up not quite as round at the top as the one that came on the factory barrel. Should threads be more round or have a sharper angle? I noticed when screwing them into the action that there seemed to be a lot less play using the threads I made even though they were cut to the same depth as the factory barrel.
See attached pics

http://www.centralpt.com/customer/image_gallery/309/MYTHREADS2.JPG
http://www.centralpt.com/customer/image_gallery/309/MYTHREADS1.JPG
http://www.centralpt.com/customer/image_gallery/309/FACTORY1.JPG
http://www.centralpt.com/customer/image_gallery/309/LATHE1.JPG

The threads sure look nice but that garage is way to clean. I wish mine was that uncluttered.

As for the tops of the threads, it might be the major diameter on the factory tube is smaller. Did you turn the tenon to the same as the factory one?

I was doing the same thing last night, fitted my first chunk of steel into an action, and it actually fit.

Joe Hynes

Another thought is the factory makers might use a full profile thread cutter so they can just turn the barrel and know it will probably fit everything.

Joe

I turned it the same as the factory tenon before I began. So do these look right?

I think Remington (and probably other factory barrels) used rolled threads rather than single point cutting which could account for the different shape.

there is little or no strenght in the end of the thread, consider a wire brush, lite hit with a file if concerned.

mike in co

Now that looks like Shelley's old lathe! You cleaned it up nicely. It was a long way for you to drag it, but you got a helluva deal!
Butch

Threads

They Look fine.

Remember, threads do not fit on the major and minor diameter. They fit on the pitch diameter. When you measure threads with a set of wires, that is what you are measuring.

I machinist terms, the flat on a thread is 1/8 of the pitch, that means on a 16 pitch thread, the "flat" on the OD and at the root should be about .007 wide.........jackie

Last edited:
I don't know how you determied that you "cut the threads to the same depth as the factory". If your barrel fits a bit better (snugger) than the factory barrel, I'd guess that the factory barrel has deeper threads than your new one.
Threads look pretty good, to me.

Jay, Idaho

Would it be possible to post pictures of the "thread tool"? The threads look mighty nice to me -but i'm about to thread my first bbl so i ain't an expert........ yet, lol! joe

Thread Forms

I found these charts that belonged to my Father, they are as old as but I don't think engineering practice has changed since then.

Keith Smith:)

Attachments

• Guide to Screw-Thread Forms.pdf
    393.5 KB · Views: 435
  • Guide to Screw Thread Forms-2.pdf
    440.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
there is little or no strenght in the end of the thread, consider a wire brush, lite hit with a file if concerned.

mike in co

Pal, "lite hit with a file?" We are we talking about a precision cut thread not a thread to hold a farm gate in place. Thread micrometer is the way to go. If anything should be hit hard with the file, it's all the brainless apes like you talking about precision. Rad

"BRAINLESS APES":eek::eek:.....................................quick run for your life's as the "SEWER" has burst again:(:(:(...Rad you obviously haven't read the book "How to influence people and make friends" have you now:rolleyes:.

Pal, "lite hit with a file?" We are we talking about a precision cut thread not a thread to hold a farm gate in place. Thread micrometer is the way to go. If anything should be hit hard with the file, it's all the brainless apes like you talking about precision. Rad

A thread file certainly has it's uses. I always use one to dress the threads the last little bit to get the action fit just like I want. Knocks off the rough edges and little burrs to make everthing screw together smoothly.

Back