Firing pin bushing

Mike A

I am going to bush a couple of Remingtons, the first a 223 that has a really nasty bolt face (see pictures below) which when you work the bolt you can feel the bolt face dragging the burrs off the primers, and the second one is a 308 sized face that I will set up for the 6.5 Lapua

The obvious choice would be to have an expert like Greg Tannel do it, but that isn't an option, so I would like any info such as the size and depth of the bolt face counterbore, finished hole size and finished pin size that you would like to offer.

I am going to bush a couple of Remingtons, the first a 223 that has a really nasty bolt face (see pictures below) which when you work the bolt you can feel the bolt face dragging the burrs off the primers, and the second one is a 308 sized face that I will set up for the 6.5 Lapua

The obvious choice would be to have an expert like Greg Tannel do it, but that isn't an option, so I would like any info such as the size and depth of the bolt face counterbore, finished hole size and finished pin size that you would like to offer.

Why dont you give Phil a call?

Redback Precision

Phil Jones is a fellow benchrest competitor who is a many time National Champion and Benchrest Hall of Fame member and he also shoots in Long range, Hunter Class and 22 Rimfire events. Phil has just expanded his gunsmithing operations to go full time with the addition of a new workshop and new CNC machinery. His focus is on accurate precision rifles and equipment. He is also turning his hand to making many unique special tools, gauges and reloading equipment. Phil has just reloacted his business to Stanthorpe in QLD. He gunsmiths our own benchrest rifles. Best contact is email: redbackprecision@gmail.com or phone 0414 78 22 37 to leave a TXT message only. I cannot answer the phone or retrieve messages during working hours. I may be working on YOUR job.

Thanks for the replies, I will email Redback for a quote and see how it goes.

The Borden approach looks a bit more complicated than I can probably manage, how would a cylindrical press fit sleeve go if it was locktited in?

What ever you use for the plug, it needs to be "T" headed. I glue mine in with J B Weld or Loctite. They never fall out during normal firing.

What ever you use for the plug, it needs to be "T" headed. I glue mine in with J B Weld or Loctite. They never fall out during normal firing.

Thanks for the reply Gunner, do you mind me asking why the T shape is an advantage?

Thanks Leroy, can you please PM your phone no

Why dont you give Phil a call?

Redback Precision

Phil Jones is a fellow benchrest competitor who is a many time National Champion and Benchrest Hall of Fame member and he also shoots in Long range, Hunter Class and 22 Rimfire events. Phil has just expanded his gunsmithing operations to go full time with the addition of a new workshop and new CNC machinery. His focus is on accurate precision rifles and equipment. He is also turning his hand to making many unique special tools, gauges and reloading equipment. Phil has just reloacted his business to Stanthorpe in QLD. He gunsmiths our own benchrest rifles. Best contact is email: redbackprecision@gmail.com or phone 0414 78 22 37 to leave a TXT message only. I cannot answer the phone or retrieve messages during working hours. I may be working on YOUR job.

Hi Michael, I have emailed him and left a message on his phone but have not had a reply, do you know if he is taking on work now?

Mike A, I bore through the bolt head so I can make sure the firing pin fits the hole the way I think it should. I make the bushings from socket head screws.

Don

Thanks for that Don, it makes a lot of sense to do it that way if you are boring right thru.
What size screw are you using, if you don't mind me asking.
I imagine you square up the head of the screw and tap the minor diameter hole, glue in the screw, and bore off the socket headed recess after?

Mike, I just use a socket head screw so I can get a fairly good peice of steel. I do not thread it into the bolt. The J B Weld seems to keep it from falling out. I normally turn the bushing after I bore the hole in the bolt trying to allow 3 or 4 thou for the JB Weld. Of course in this process everything is trued and squared. I have a LaBounty bolt fixture so holding the bolt is easy for me although I have seen lots of bolts trued using a 1/2x13 stud and the steady rest.

Don

Nez, I have thought about the same thing. I have been looking for a couple of drill rifle bolts to try this on.

Mike, I just use a socket head screw so I can get a fairly good peice of steel. I do not thread it into the bolt. The J B Weld seems to keep it from falling out. I normally turn the bushing after I bore the hole in the bolt trying to allow 3 or 4 thou for the JB Weld. Of course in this process everything is trued and squared. I have a LaBounty bolt fixture so holding the bolt is easy for me although I have seen lots of bolts trued using a 1/2x13 stud and the steady rest.

Don

Or instead of allowing a few thousandths for epoxy, make the bushing a couple of thousandths oversize of the bored hole and press the bushing in with a heavy duty arbor press. I use a three ton arbor press.

If it is a tight fitting bushing; put it in the freezer over night and it just might pop right in.

All kinds of uses for this trick.

Back