Fired up my dads old 6ppc

LVLAaron

Fired up dads old 6ppc Benchrest rifle today. First time it's been fired in 35 years. Built by Fred Sinclair himself. A true gem.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.JPG
    IMG_2658.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 632
  • IMG_2664.JPG
    IMG_2664.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 592
Last edited:
That is neat, looks like it still stacks them in there. What is the history and details of the rifle. Was that your Dad's load?

That is neat, looks like it still stacks them in there. What is the history and details of the rifle. Was that your Dad's load?

Built by Fred Sinclair a very long time ago. Based on an Remington XP-100. It should still put all 5 shots into one hole at an indoor range (pending my skill). We have a couple of unused barrels still, so it's got lots of life left in it.

Load data has been lost to the ages. I think it was all written on the targets as he loaded at the bench, and those are long gone. I'm working with Hodgdon H322 and 70 grain h.p.b.t

70 grain bullets are too heavy for the twist...OK one day and too heavy the next. Drop down a couple of grains, maybe more, and get some custom bullets. H322 is a good choice. Increase (or decrease) your load until you find a sweet spot such that it shoots good and the brass holds out several firings.

What neck size is the chamber?

70 grain bullets are too heavy for the twist...OK one day and too heavy the next. Drop down a couple of grains, maybe more, and get some custom bullets. H322 is a good choice. Increase (or decrease) your load until you find a sweet spot such that it shoots good and the brass holds out several firings.

What neck size is the chamber?

70 grain shot these in a match:

http://imgur.com/a/bxomG

I'm pretty sure that's all he ever fired. I'll ask him about the chamber neck size.

Yes, if you're not using wind flags that would be a major step forward. Also, you will probably see improvement with custom 66-68gr bullets. In addition I'll suggest you get a pound of LT 32 to try with those 86gr bullets. In most everything I have a good place to start would be 28.3 grs.

Rick

Yes, if you're not using wind flags that would be a major step forward. Also, you will probably see improvement with custom 66-68gr bullets. In addition I'll suggest you get a pound of LT 32 to try with those 86gr bullets. In most everything I have a good place to start would be 28.3 grs.

Rick

IMG_2823.JPG

I think 26.5 grains of h322 and Remy 7 1/2 primers are working pretty well. (5 shot group)

View attachment 19407

I think 26.5 grains of h322 and Remy 7 1/2 primers are working pretty well. (5 shot group)

Absolutely, it's a nice group, but can you shoot five of those in a row? You certainly can't without flags and I can say with a certain amount of conviction that custom bullets will shoot better than the Sierras. But, hey it's your call.

Rick

Absolutely, it's a nice group, but can you shoot five of those in a row? You certainly can't without flags and I can say with a certain amount of conviction that custom bullets will shoot better than the Sierras. But, hey it's your call.

Rick

You're totally right.

I have a lot of experience with Olympic weightlifting. When we trained we didn't really care about our best lift of the day, we focused on our daily minimum. You're going to have days where you make some big lift, but you can't do it consistently. But focus on the lift you can make every day, no matter what. Raise THAT number up.

Same here I presume. Focus on making your biggest group, smaller, every time. The best group isn't worth much if the worst group is all over the paper.

How do folks think Berger bullets compare to custom bullets?

How do folks think Berger bullets compare to custom bullets?

Just my own narrative on that question. Several years ago when just about everything shooting related was unavailable, the custom bullet makers couldn't get jackets to make bullets. I had been using the customs in my competition guns and also trying out the Sierras as well. Not wanting to run out and just quit shooting, I ordered a variety of comparable Bergers and tried them out.

I was surprised to discover the Bergers shot just as well. I alternated every other round with the customs and didn't even find a point of impact change. I have been shooting them ever since.

Just my own narrative on that question. Several years ago when just about everything shooting related was unavailable, the custom bullet makers couldn't get jackets to make bullets. I had been using the customs in my competition guns and also trying out the Sierras as well. Not wanting to run out and just quit shooting, I ordered a variety of comparable Bergers and tried them out.

I was surprised to discover the Bergers shot just as well. I alternated every other round with the customs and didn't even find a point of impact change. I have been shooting them ever since.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that. Berger is affordable and available at Cabelas.

Back