fire lap

Mikecr,
I found it.

It's a factory forum and there is no reason to believe OPs barrel actually is 'finished'.
It may have been badly lapped, or not lapped at all.

I know firelapping reduces copper fouling(where there is an issue), and that it does not hurt accuracy. Nor does normalizing lands occasionally using Tubbs TMS.
I use FF on both factory and custom barrels for break-in, and have watched it carefully with a borescope.
All it does is smooth over any machining protrusions left from drilling the bore, chamber reaming & crowning. It reduces fouling by leaving a slight parallel hatching that is closer to hand lapping from a better barrel maker.
TMS brings the lands closer to the same distance and form as they change unevenly. This extends accuracy(that would deteriorate otherwise) for barrel burning hunting barrels.

Butch

I have known a few guys that.................

kinda like to brag, "....and I sight'er in on op'nin' day, an' I don' clean'er again 'til th' seezin's over. Thet way, all th' bullets'l go in th' same hole, stedd'a...."

And, one of those guys had to spend about $500 getting a new barrel put on.
I guess he forgot in the pressing excitement of season's end, to clean it 'like he always does'. It happens.

And, most people with a rifle that for one reason or another, will not shoot, will promptly sell said rifle.
Which never made any sense to me, either.

Barrels, like anything else, have a finite life through wear or neglect; when one is over, put on another. Its easier by far, than to start over w/a new rifle, working out all the bugs to get IT shooting. And maybe it NEVER will, because perhaps you're the victim of another shooter who had an incurable problem and decided to send that problem your way.

Of course on the other hand, it could result in an incredible bargain if another hobbyist is so frustrated as a result of his ignorance, that he just wants rid of this maddening rifle, he sells it cheaply, and you cure it.

With a new barrel.......?? ;)

Butch I missed the "contrary to the other people's experience" part.
I was just trying to help OP, and it sounds like he tried it & it didn't work. It was worth a shot based on his initial post & didn't hurt anything in doing so irregardless.
Although I stand behind my post, having yet to recieve an intelligent counter argument, I decided to just let it go.
Now you can discuss it, continue to be a jackass about it, or let it go.

i owuldnt say he didnt hurt anything. abrasives were fired down the bore removing steel. #1 we know for a fact that is going to move the throat forward, #2 we know that is also going to remove steel from the bore down the entire length of the barrel. quick summary is for now he didnt help or hurt accuracy, but by firing an abrasive down the barrel, the barrel life was shortened. to me, thats kind of like pouring a cup full of sand into your engines crankcase. it may not kill the engine right away, but your dang sure its life has been shortened.

Lefty, why do you think barrel life is shortened with a single application of firelapping?

Your conclusion about engine wear is not as simple as assumption.
Car makers DO pour abrasives into new engines -to break them in as quickly and controlled as possible. This does not shorten engine lives, but greatly extends their lives, which is why it's been done for many years.
How do YOU think that works?

i wont discuss this with you further, no one pours abrasives into an engine to break them in. im guessing you have never looked through a bore scope.

Back