fire lap

Doug Casner

I think there was a thread about this procedure not too long ago but I couldnt find it so forgive me. Ordered some bullets from Sinclairfor a 3006 already grity. 3 different grits rough,medium,smooth. The guy said they weigh 190 gr. For that mod.70. Expecting a little throat erosion but its a hunting rifle so it wont get shot as much as a target or varminter. Anybody got any dos or donts? The rifle shoots good until about 9 or 12 shots. Ive had it go from .5 to 3in. group in 12 or 15 shots. Got 250 or 300 rounds on the barrell. Thanks Doug

Doug:
If it's a hunting rifle, After you clean it, shoot 1 shot to foul the barrel. Then you can shoot up to 12 deer, before you have to worry about missing. Fire lapping will only help so much. After that, you are just wearing your barrel out.

Thanks Fred, I know it sounds like a waste of time but I like to get the best my rifles will group out of em. I guess its kind of a hobby. If the accuracy goes to hell Ill rebarrel. Its a tubbs kit its got 5 different grits.

For a barrel with a few hundred rounds through it, you probably won't need to use the coarse grits. Those are to cut away machining burrs.
You just need a finer lapping to extend shooting before copper fouling out.
Might also consider dry lub coating of bullets(assuming you reload).

Well Butch, It wont be the first or last money Ive thrown away. Shot the first 10 and the 2nd 10 yesterday afternoon. Gettin ready to go shoot the last 30. Ill tell ya if it made a difference.

I tend to agree with Butch.

A few years ago I tried the fire lap. Never did see the expected results.

Since then I have gone to a hand lap procedure. This works! Depending on the barrel it takes from 1/2 to 1 hour. First step is to bore scope and then based on what you see in the bore select the girt to start the lap process. The kind of grid you use is critical! Brownell sales non embedding lapping grit kit. It cost about $60. Starts with 120 or so grit and goes up to 800 grit. After I finish with the 800 grit I go to JB bore paste for the final polish.

Mostly I shoot BR. The hand lap process works with BR barrels and older hunting barrels. You need only to select the right grit and do the procedure correct. I have seen 223 AR-15 barrel improve over 200% with the hand lapping.

IMHO......you're wasting time and money. As a deer rifle that is sighted in at 100yd and shoots a 3 shot group of approximately 1" from a cold start, it is doing a fine job for you. If after a 20-30 minute "cooling off period" you repeat the same previous performance, you have a perfect deer rifle. Have a good hunt!

i agree with butch. we strive very hard not to cause damage to a good barrel by dragging abrasive through it on our cleaning rods, and i see it as immensley counter productive to intentionally fire abrasives through a good barrel.

"The rifle shoots good until about 9 or 12 shots. Ive had it go from .5 to 3in. group in 12 or 15 shots. Got 250 or 300 rounds on the barrell. Thanks Doug"

Doug, are you expecting the deer to start shooting back? Indians got off the reservation up in your area?

Sorry, just pok'en a little fun at you.

Tool marks from deep hole drilling will lap out a little..If you have a .5" shooting rifle, you are taking a chance on ruining accuracy as the bullet will be jumping much further before it engages the lands after the fire lapping....I have ruined a few barrels and one Fine ruger 22 target pistol.

Lefty o, I hope you recognize that abrasives were dragged through your barrels plenty before they were sent out to you, and that it's apparently not so with OPs barrel. So why wouldn't he do what he can about that?

If he's copper fouling out he needs to lap it one way or another.
Now he could spend MORE money & time replacing a barrel that's probably fine, then start all over with load development. Or, he could spend Less to get the most he can from what he's vested in.

Firelapping done correctly does not hurt anymore than hand lapping correctly.

It's yours to prove otherwise I guess.
You could try it with a marginal shooting barrel before moving on to another.
My contention is that it will not hurt performance.

I don't even think it'll tear up a badly burnt throat as much as a bronze brush can.

Yea Keith, I heard war drums on the res gettin ready. You guys were right. I cant tell a bit of difference. Shot 7 groups same story. The more I shoot it the more it spreads. I was out there chasin ole shep, or somethin like that. That .3 group was a accident just flinched right. Thinkin about fixing it with a remington. Thanks alot fellas. Doug

I heard war drums on the res Keith just gettin ready. You guys were right. Shot 7 groups got worse the more I shot. I was out there just chasin ole shep, or somethin like that. Thinkin about fixin it with a remington. That .3 group I shot with it was a fluke, just flinched right. Thanks fellas, Doug

For a barrel on a rifle that is used for game, where only a few shots are fired on any given hunt, I think that a barrel that fouls out at low round count is more of an annoyance than a problem. On a varmint rifle, or one that is used for recreational shooting, I think that it is a prescription for a new barrel, hopefully one that was lapped during manufacturing. To save elbow grease and time when dealing with rough barrels, I have found that Wipe Out bore cleaning foam is very useful. One can fill the bore with foam, let it sit, patch it out and go again, without much effort. Typically I leave it in over night, with no problems. In the past, I have read credible accounts of fire lapping. The results were reported to be a lengthening of the throat. in some cases to the point that loads that touched the rifling were no longer an option. Cleaning was made considerably easier, and accuracy was about the same, although in no case, that I can recall, was it in the half inch category. I think that I would sell a rifle that had the sort of barrel that made me contemplate fire lapping. From what I have seen, at the range, during the deer hunting sighting in ritual, most hunters, who are not rifle hobbyists, would scarcely know the difference.

Back