Fave .223 loads in a 1-9 brl.

Gidday gpoldblue,

Glad to hear you've got a Savage LRPV! What projectiles do you use and what are some of the results.:)

Bought a new Savage mdl. 10FP in August 2000, and over the years, and 2550 rds. tried a varity of recommended loads. The "winner" was always 24 to 25 grs. of Varget with the Sierra 69 gr. #1380, seated anywhere from .020" off the lands to touch, did not seem to matter. Barrel has just been replaced with a Hart 1-8, same contour, but now with a Bell & Carlson stock & a Zeiss 6.5-20x. The above load will be my "mid-range", ( 2 to 300 yd) combo. Recommended bullet weight, included with the paper work from Savage, was a 69gr., and they were absolutely correct for this rifle/barrel.

Ditto..........

Also look at H or IMR 4895 behind that 69gr Sierra... As well as VV135 and H BLC-2 .....
cale

steyrl......

I'm having very good results w/
69gn Sierra
24.0gn VV-N140
Lapua brass neck turned to .0125" & using .247" bushing
F205's
Seating=.010" off lands

200yd grps=5 shots in 6's & 7's w/ 4 shots in 3's-4's

73gn Berger
25.0gn H4895
same brass,primer,seating depth

200yd=5 shot +/-.500(best 5=.436")

52gn Sierra
26.5gn WW-748
same brass,primer,bullet "just"touching

200yd=.5"-.6"(best .399")

My rifle has a Savage F class stock,bedding,action work,and 36X Leupold.
Using wind flags in various conditions. Right now my running average group is mid 6's @ 200yds for 5 shot groups. gpoldblue

GPOLDBLUE

At 200yds would be 3rounds inside a nickel sized smiley face. Except if I ignore the wind speed then they jump around some.

DaRealViper.....

Good shootin'! Glad you're doing so well with your rifle. Keep up the good work.
I really enjoy experimenting with different components and learning how to use wind flags. Our local 200yard range has a VERY large oak tree right in the middle and causes some difficult wind conditions(switches and eddys).
200yards is ALOT more difficult than 100yards as you well know,but I enjoy the challenges.
I appreciate the reply-Thank you. gpoldblue

savage 223

In my Savage 12 BVSS i shoot 68 g hornady BTHP pushed by 24 grains of h335 with a winchester SR primmer C.O.L is 2.33 these will not feed from mag tho
Dick The Shooter

Remington brass weight sorted, trimmed to 1.76, full-length sized, and chamfered.
Fed 205 primer
75gr Hornady BTHP weight sorted and seated 2.54-2.55in
24gr R15
Shooting out of DPMS AR 20in with 1:9 bull barrel.

These chronied over 3000fps. Not sure how, other than my short OAL.

I didn't have as much luck with 69gr SMK and Varget loads. So I may pull those and replace with R15.

I used to flinch at weight sorting, but I picked up the RCBS chargemaster and it is quick to sort through components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Berger...

Ive justthe basic 12 FV. Still a 1/9 barrel. I have loaded light bullets since i bought it. Ive gone clear down to the 40 grain nosler B-tips. Ive never had a bullet perform worse than the 53 gr Berger. Loaded them with 27.5 grains of varget i think. I bought a hundred of them. Out of a hundred maybe sixty of them made it to the seventy five yard mark. They just exploded. I have NEVER had a forty grain nosler or hornady do that.

Back