Fast cars!!

More Info

Late in 1961 the 409 engine was released. Because of it's late arrival, production numbers were low in the first year.

The total production figures for 409's in '61 was only 142! Making them very rare today. This also marked the first year of the SS. There was a total of 453 Supersports made in 1961. The 1961 SS 409 could be considered the father of the muscle car for Chevy.

Other auto makers like, Pontiac, Buick, Plymouth, were all coming out with bigger engines. Chevrolet needed the 409 to keep up at the drag strips.

There was only one version of the 409 in 1961. It was the 360hp. It was equipped with solid lifters, high lift cam, and a 4-barrel Carter AFB carburetor.

In 1962, a 380hp could be had. More importantly the 409hp 409 with 2 4-barrel Carter AFB's was now available. This is the one that the Beach boys were singing about in '62.

1963 saw 3 new horsepower 409's. The 340hp, 400hp, and the 425hp. The 340hp had hydraulic lifters, and both the 400 and 425hp came with solid lifters, and special cam. This was the first year chrome was used on the 409's.

The 400hp 409 came with a single 4-barrel Carter AFB carburetor, and the 425hp 409 with 2 4-barrel Carter AFB's.

These same three engines were available for 1964 however it would be the last year for the 425hp version.

In 1965 the 340hp and the 400hp 409's were the only sizes available. Sales dwindled down to 2,828 in 1965 due to the 409 option ending around February of 1965. This was the last year for the 409. It was replaced by the 396.

Also in 1963, there were 57 of the Z11 models produced. They pretty will owned the race tracks that year. I saw one sell in Kissimmee last year for $425K

Last edited:
Car Guys we are all basically the same ;-)

Built this street car for fun a few years ago now.

Bits of my old 308 Holden race engine stroked out to 355 in front of a T56,

11.6 at 123 on an airstrip was my best

Economical street car when you behave yourself ;-)

Looking forward to driving it again, its been a while

Car Guys we are all basically the same ;-)

Built this street car for fun a few years ago now.

Bits of my old 308 Holden race engine stroked out to 355 in front of a T56,

11.6 at 123 on an airstrip was my best

Economical street car when you behave yourself ;-)

Looking forward to driving it again, its been a while

Sooo, He'p a bugger out here...... Am I seeing where you've stuffed a Chevy motor into a Mazda???

how do I attach a photo?

Start a thread or edit, then scroll down to manage attachments. Click the on, it will ask you if you have a file or want to take a photo. Pick the appropriate one, hit download on the right. It will give you a link down on the lower left. Hold on the link and copy it. Hit the exit back to thread. Go back to your post and paste it.

Last edited:
Sooo, He'p a bugger out here...... Am I seeing where you've stuffed a Chevy motor into a Mazda???

Nearly, a Holden V8, Aussie GM, lighter & smaller than a pre LS Chev

The Mazda weighs less than it did stock & has a 50/50 weight split with me in it & 3/4 tank of Gas, 680 Kgs front & rear :)

Put a few of them in the series one RX7s as well

Seriously considering putting an LS in my 2017 GT86 (FRS/BRZ) but I want all the electrics to hold hands which is quite the mission with electric steering, ESP, Cruise, etc etc so until that's sorted I will wait

Last edited:
Nearly, a Holden V8, Aussie GM, lighter & smaller than a pre LS Chev

The Mazda weighs less than it did stock & has a 50/50 weight split with me in it & 3/4 tank of Gas, 680 Kgs front & rear :)

Put a few of them in the series one RX7s as well

Seriously considering putting an LS in my 2017 GT86 (FRS/BRZ) but I want all the electrics to hold hands which is quite the mission with electric steering, ESP, Cruise, etc etc so until that's sorted I will wait

Ahhh yes, the electrics..... and THAT is why all my hotrod stuff has been carburetted. Just this last summer we splattered a 454 Vortec because we buggered the fuel injector sensors somehow.

I hate those 'lectrics

Out here on the Eastern end of Long Island, some of the City crowd are Street Racing Tesla's! Or course you have to Pre-Super Charge them at one of the free charge stations.

Back