Farley Black Widow action Light Primer Hits

D

Dutchman

bolt-03.jpgbolt-02.jpgI'm getting light primer hits with a Farley Black Widow Action that I purchased used but I'm not sure if it's the Spring that is the source of problems or does it just need an adjustment which, so far, have not figured out how to do. If anyone can help direct me to the right source it would be appreciated. I'm assuming that the firing pin on the Farley Black Widow should bottom out on the inside bolt body surface and not the cocking piece correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing is to clean inside the bolt good. There may be a primer disc inside there then let the firing pin down and make sure its falling all the way

Carbon Build up in Bolt

Thanks for the come back............I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the Bolt, which incidentally had a buildup of Carbon, with a piece of steel wool, M-Pro 7, brass brush on a cleaning rod in an electric drill.........inside bolt was clean as a whistle when finished.

Cleaning Carbon out didn't fix the problem

Cleaning the Carbon out didn't fix the problem.........I'm thinking it must be an old Spring.

When you let the firing pin down into the slot that it goes into when it fires does it go almost to the botton of the slot? If it goes to the normal spot then it needs a new spring. If ever in doubt its cheap insurance anyway!

Farleys are notorious for having too light of a firing pin spring, and not enough travel.

In my opinion, (based on my own Farleys), you need at last 21 lbs of static pressure, and .210 inch Tavel.

That spring appears to be course wound. You can shim it with a spacer and still avoid coil bind.

Check the travel. The only way to increase that is either with another trigger hanger, or offset drill one bush the one you have.

Here is the spring out of my 30BR Farley with a spacer to get it to 24 lbs.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17383&stc=1&d=1454893107

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
I'm with Skeetlee, replace it with a 25 or 24 lb spring. Farley usually puts a spring in there that's around 17 lbs if your lucky. Also, on the new blackwidows, the firing pin fall is adjustable by a small allen head screw in one end of the trigger hanger.

Hovis

Spacer or new Spring is in my future

Farleys are notorious for having too light of a firing pin spring, and not enough travel.

In my opinion, (based on my own Farleys), you need at last 21 lbs of static pressure, and .210 inch Tavel.

That spring appears to be course wound. You can shim it with a spacer and still avoid coil bind.

Check the travel. The only way to increase that is either with another trigger hanger, or offset drill one bush the one you have.

I will try the Spacer to see if I can get 24lbs.................I checked and my current spring tension is 16 lbs.

Removing the Firing Pin to replace the Spring

I have on order from Brownell's today a 24lb firing pin spring for a Remington 700 which I understand to be exactly what Farley uses. My question is how do I remove the firing pin and Spring from my Farley Black Widow?
There is a you tube video for removing the spring on a Remington 700 and I'm wondering if it's the same procedure for the Farley? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QikbG7FN84

Spring will be easier and probably cheaper....it's a standard Rem 700 spring that you fit. You can use a standard Rem 700 firing pin removal tool for the job.

Back