falling block action?

Here's the breech end of a somewhat larger falling block action. Needs cleaning pretty badly.

PICT0022.jpg

Tisk, tisk...looks like cleaning rod marks at 6 o'clock. Need a boreguide.

Justin

Ruger, Martini and Browning

I have a Ruger No. 1 falling block rifle in .220 Swift that begs to be customized into a .22 PPC. I also have a large action Martini that was customized many years ago first as a 218 Bee and later as a .22 LR by W.A. (Bill the barrel maker) Sukalle.

I really like the simplicity of a falling block action. I would like to find a Browning Low Wall to complete the set.

Don

BF rifles

I know they are not all that popular, but when using them they slam into place and slam out fo place, just fit so well as a BR pistol they were reallllly popular as a pistol for sillywet, I am sure if the fit and finish is the same they are wonderful to handle and cycle, maybe not the most accurate guns but once you hadle them you realize how solid they are,

Jefferson

The most interesting action that I've seen was the Colt-Sharps Single Shot Rifle.

I have seen only one -a .243 test fired by P.O. Ackley signed on the target .
The action had safe-fire and some fine lines done in gold with a 26 " .243 barrel.
It had a leupold 3-9 mounted and a custom sling included.
This was all in tan leather case with cleaning rods - small containers for cleaning solution and oil etc. including ebony handled screwdrivers

The cost at the time was $1200 I believe and only 502 were made .

This was one of the last 10 sold and only these had the leather case etc.

I saw this when I worked on drilling rigs and when I returned two weeks later it was sold.

Sure they will make more-Ha!

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1111955164/all

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---reno---colt---1015418-colt-sharps.shtml

Glenn:D

Last edited by a moderator:
just go with an 1885 Browning or Winchester. I shoot a high wall in the 300WSM and have also used low walls in 22 hornet. They can usually be had for 1200 or so.

Butch

Glenn,
Ed Shilen has one and he also has a Hall. I have not been able to get him to sell either.
Butch

I saw the colt rifle when I was in Ed's shop in 1972. He told me last year that he has more than 1 colt.

A long time ago...

Bruce Thom (BAT) made a falling block single shot action. I think that's how he got his start in the action business. Good luck on finding one.

More recently Alan Hall made a few. Ditto on finding one.

I have collected and shot falling block single shots for many years. To me the best by far is the Ruger No. 1. First, it's good looking. It's very strong. There are a lot of them and you can find one easily. Best, I think, is that there are gunsmiths out there who know how to make one that will shoot accurately.

My deer rifle is a small No. 1 made in the late 60's. It has a four digit serial number. It has been completely customized with lots of stock and metal work and engraving. I put a Kepplinger set trigger from Brownell's in it a couple of years ago. The trigger breaks at a very crisp 4 lb. when not set. It breaks at a crisp 1/2 lb. when set. It shoots very well in spite of having the original barrel. The result is a small, light rifle which handles very well, shoots accurately and is fun to just look at.

If I wanted a new varmint rifle I would make it from a No. 1. It would be bigger and heavier than my gun, would be chambered for a sensible varmint cartridge and would probably have a Unertl scope thereupon, just cause.

Dick Wright

Thinking of all the problems of the two peice stock and the barrel mounted scopes and every body wants to go backwards for that?

When I think of all the old single shot rifles I have, I ask myself why did you spend all that money?

Back