Eye relief, Leupold 45X

skeetlee

I was wondering if it is possible for Leupold to change the eye relief on a 45x comp scope. I would like to have another 1" of eye relief if at all possible. Is this doable? Has anyone ever had Leupold do this? Just curious. I love my new scope but i am getting hit by the darn thing. Thanks Lee

This might be stupid, but can you simply move the scope 1" forward? (unless its already as far forward as the rings/mounts allow)

Eye relief is a fixed function of the design of a specific scope. It varies to an extremely small degree depending on the correction you need to make to the eyepiece to clear the crosshairs. As a general rule, the higher the power, the shorter the eye relief.

Sorry, you're stuck with what you've got.

I dont have any problems with the 36x but i sure do with this 45x. I am also going to try to change the front edgewood bag on my jj rest. The bag/rest just doesnt grip my Bruno/mcmillan stock very well. I really have to squeeze the ears in on the rest to get the stock from sliding around in the bag. Just not much tension there. I am thinking my stock is a bit short of the 3" it should be?? I will figure out something thats for sure, as this is a heck of good scope and i really enjoy the extra magnification. I was just thinking about this today, and wondered if the relief could be changed. No sweat!! Thanks fellas! Lee

Last edited:
Unless you're using a Hunter stock , you've got an internal bag problem (sand). All stock makers keep the fore-end a hair under 3". Have an experienced competitor critique your bench technique, in the mean time, either hold your eye farther back, or get soft rubber covers to put on the eyepiece. Perhaps you have too much "free" in your free-recoil style.

Last edited:
skeet

I was wondering if it is possible for Leupold to change the eye relief on a 45x comp scope. I would like to have another 1" of eye relief if at all possible. Is this doable? Has anyone ever had Leupold do this? Just curious. I love my new scope but i am getting hit by the darn thing. Thanks Lee

I've got a new Leupold 45X Competition scope I just started using. I just checked my relief with and without my glasses and it's approximately Three (3) inches. According to the booklet that comes with the scope, "Leupold rifle scopes are engineered to provide a generous 3" to 5" of eye relief depending upon the model and magnification level." Art :)

I'm sure that it's optimal to have a full field of view, but if you don't have enough eye relief to get a full field ( without getting hit by the scope when free recoiling ), is it OK to have a bit of black around the edges?

I'm sure that it's optimal to have a full field of view, but if you don't have enough eye relief to get a full field ( without getting hit by the scope when free recoiling ), is it OK to have a bit of black around the edges?

Yes. It actually helps minimize parallax ...if you center the FOV with black outside circle (I believe the term for this is "vignetting"). The downside is you might lose the mirage board in the FOV.

Skeet, 'cher backin' off too far man....

Learn to snuddle right up to the thang so's your shoulder catches the gun before it hits you in the eye. I go in to TOUCH and then back off, every time. I try to catch it between 1/2 and 1" back, no more.

Backing off so far the gun comes back 2-3 inches guarantees you'll mess up your bags either from hitting them with the pistol grip or just dropping the butt so far it skews the front fit.

opinionsby

al

I have been told that my free recoil style is pretty free. One other thing that i think will help is to lengthen the LOP on the rifle stock. I will also try to snuggle up a little more to the rifle. I will make it work one way or another!! As far as my front bag goes, i think it is ok. My robertson BRX stock fits very nicely and tracks very well while sitting in this front bag of mine. I have yet to measure the mcmillan but i will here in a minute. I put the scope on the BRX rifle last night and snuck out early this morning before work and fired a few shots. I didnt get hit. The LOP on that stock is about 3/4" longer than the mcmillan, thats whats giving me the idea that a longer stock will keep me from getting whacked!! I pay a lot of attention to my set up while getting ready to shoot as i feel this is one thing that gets over looked quite often by young shooters, and my style feels really good to me, and so far it has been working quite well. I am doing way better than i would have ever guessed this early in my game. I guess i figure the extra LOP will allow the stock to make contact to my shoulder before the scope does?? Back to the front bag. should that bag be pretty hard on all three sides? Mine is solid on all three but i might not call it hard. I could probably squeeze a bit more sand into it. Its seems to me that i read that having a really hard front bag isnt the best idea. Also one thing that just crossed my mind is the position of my rifle while in the front bag. I recently moved the rifle stop back about 2" as it was suggested to me that i had my rifle to far forward in my rest. How much stock should be on that front rest? Like i said fellas i will figure something out, I was just hoping i could send it off and have the eye relief adjusted a little, but i guess thats out!! Thanks for all the advise. I certainly appreciate all of it!!!! Truly do!!! Lee

The eye relief on the spec sheet only tells you the distance between your eye and the scope. You don't get hit in the eye, do you?
Usually you get hit in the brow or the nose. The actual distance between your face and the scope is what matters. The more you tilt your head forward, the closer your brow is to the scope.
Having the scope mounted higher results in a more upright head position and increases the distance between your face and the scope.

Here's an article about the position in bags.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/11/benchrest-tip-optimize-your-rifle-position-on-the-rests/

Last edited:
Skeetlee, your driving me crazy! It would seem that somewhere in your post you would have mentioned what caliber gun you were using. I realise it won't help your eye relief issue, but now you've got my curiousity going!

Skeetlee, your driving me crazy! It would seem that somewhere in your post you would have mentioned what caliber gun you were using. I realise it won't help your eye relief issue, but now you've got my curiousity going!

I believe he's talking about a 6 PPC VFS light set-up. However, he just posted about his 30 BR last week. Or it could be the 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 Lapua, or 6 BR LR. But wait ...it could also be the new .22 ppc .100 short.
Blue, you are right, this Skeet guy is driving me crazy too! LOL
Perhaps this is why he moved UP to rifles .....the shotgun game is soooo Boring .........only .410, 28 ga., 20 ga. 16 ga., 12 ga., and 10 ga. to play with.

A friend, who is well known in Benchrest circles in the Northwest, Del Bishop, shoots a number of Siebert boosted 36X Leupolds. As a result of the boost, these scopes end up with a 5-5 1/2" eye reliefs. I think that they are boosted to 55X.

sorry to be such a bother fellas. not my intent. Lee

Skeetlee, you are NOT a bother to me! I read and enjoy all your posts here. But, now, once again, you have a Leupold 45X scope on some type of rifle and you are getting enough recoil that the scope hits your eye, so for the love of God, please tell us what caliber it is!

Reminds me of a time when we held Turkey shoots at our club. We had classes for everything. I was shooting mostly 22 RF Iron sights as well as scoped 222's and 7.7 Jap. They had a Iron Sight CF match and a fellow shooter loaned me his Winchester .308 with Redfield Target sights. They picked me up off the ground after the first sighter. Fortionately the rear sight had a merit on it and that is what hit the bridge od my glasses. No damage to anything but my pride.

I only have two ppc rifles at the moment so i guess i never thought about mentioning the cal. Its one of the two 6ppc LV rifles i have. Me being a shotgunner for a lot of years i absolutely hate recoil. I have just had to much of it. If they made release triggers for rifle i would probably have one in my rifle. LOL!! In all seriousness i am going to try my hands at the 22ppc short simple because of the kick of those light 10.5 guns. I know the 6ppc doesnt kick bad, its just a condition i have developed over the years. I personally think the 22ppc short will be great!! I have a good friend here that hooking me up with a good barrel and another friend with a set of dies so it wont be a big investment. I recently sold all my rifles and started over with all BAT actions, and one Haverkamp. I will have my LV ppc with one back up a 30BR on a 3 lug and a 17LB dasher on a big Model b, and thats it. Yes i have tried them all as life is short and rifles are cool!!! I really enjoy this rifle buisness and i will be the first to admit i do get carried away, but what the heck, this is good clean fun, and i have met a lot of superhuman beings!! I love people ( well most people) and i love rifle shooting. Shooting is just about the only thing i have been fairly good at, and i simply enjoy you folks and my rifles. So i dont ever mean to be a bother fellas, i am just happy most days and i like to talk, thats all! And Mr smith you are correct, I have had 410, 28gr 20gr 16ga 12ga and one 10ga. I won with everyone of them two, well not the 10ga but i sure knocked a lot of ducks out of the sky with one! LOL!!! Shotgunning did get a little dry for me, i went just about as far as my ability would allow, and once you make master class, you are basically donating. I was pretty good at a state level but i couldnt compete with the pros that shoot everyday for a living. Rifles are more fun anyway, and there is a lot more things i can screw up, and ask questions about!! LOL!! Thanks fellas for the company!!! I hope everyone has a great week!! Lee

Back