Eye Health

One Week Ago Today Had Emergency Cornea Transplant. Have Gone From Probably Loosing Eye And All Vision To Now Can Make Out Benchrest Central Heading On This Page As I Type. Doc Says Will Be Up To Year - As Stiches Are Removed And Laskik ? Surg Is Done To Get Back Where I Was. At Least With God's Help There Is Possibility Of Improvement Versus What Was. See Ya!

Jim,
I have never met you, and probably never will since we are from different parts of the world, but I can sympathize with you. I hope that your vision improves greatly, and I say this from personal experience.
Five years ago, I awoke to impaired vision of the peripheral type. I went to my Optometrist and explained what I was experiencing, and he immediately sent me to an Opthalmologist. He did a few tests, and then decided to send me for a cat scan, an MRI, and blood tests! He pre-diagnosed me with "escemic optic neuropathy". After receiving the results of my battery of tests, he determined that his early diagnosis was in fact accurate. He told me that what had occured was a temporary interruption of blood flow to my optic nerve, and that some of the nerve had diedas a result. This is what caused the loss of peripheral vision. While I was pleased that it was only my peripheral vision that had been effected, I asked whether or not this could ever occur again. His reply was that it was such a miniscule chance that he wouldn't even consider thinking about it.
Go forward one year.............................I once again awoke to notice a loss of peripheral vision in my OTHER eye!
The result? I now have loss of peripheral vision in both eyes. The unfortunate thing is, the lost vision is in the same area in both eyes, from about 3:30 to 6:30.
If you have ever had an eye test where you focus on a dot in the center of the screen and press a button each time a light flashes in your peripheral, this is the test that will show your impairment should you have any. As an accomplished 1000 yard shooter, this upset me terribly. As long as I look directly at an object, it will be in my field of vision. If however, I expect to see any part of the object in the 3:30 to 6:30 portion of my peripheral, it does not show up. Makes it kinda' scary to look in the side mirror when driving and making a lane change. Makes one question whether he has truly seen all that's there or not.
Moral of the story is that eyesight is a precious thing to have. While I have some hearing loss from years of working around machinery, I can deal with this easily, sometimes preferring it when the little woman becomes "bitchy" (truly a rare occurance), but to lose eyesight is truly a heartbreak.
Here's hoping that time will heal your afflictions, I wish it could help mine.

Mark Van Beek

hope everything is ok. Ill be prayin for ya. Hope to see you soon.

One Week Ago Today Had Emergency Cornea Transplant. Have Gone From Probably Loosing Eye And All Vision To Now Can Make Out Benchrest Central Heading On This Page As I Type. Doc Says Will Be Up To Year - As Stiches Are Removed And Laskik ? Surg Is Done To Get Back Where I Was. At Least With God's Help There Is Possibility Of Improvement Versus What Was. See Ya!

Jim Casey, I bought a ppc from you last year, its been a good gun, I hope you get the most recovery possible and my family will pray for you. good luck, Ron Tilley

Last year I undergo Lasik surgery for my nearsightedness and like the concern of other people im not comfortable in wearing contacts because my eyes are sensitive for infection so my friend recommend me for Lasik exam in my2020 have you heard that? The exam includes a complete evaluation of the internal and external health of the eyes. They create a detailed map of the eyes and perform all of the visual tests necessary to prepare for LASIK. And the nice thing with Lasik-1 is they use the latest, most advanced technology to thoroughly determine your eligibility for LASIK. I don’t know if you already heard a Dr. Stephen B. Wiles, he is one of the surgeons and I can say one of the best in the world. Anyway just try to have a schedule exam for a FREE VIP LASIK your first step in achieving improved vision. Hope that one help you. Good luck…

In 1966 as a baby I had glass puncture my right eye, eyelid and nose, I lost most of the sight in that eye. Over the next 27 years the eye grew painful, I developed glaucoma in the right eye and lost more of the sight. I think I had a dozen or so surgeries. In 1994 the doc removed the eye.

Even though I only had a little sight left in that eye it made a big difference to have it gone. I bump into all kinds of stuff and all kinds of people now. But it has made me even more grateful for my left eye.

I guess my point is I feel your pain. The second point is take care of your eyes. The common thread here seems to be that folks went to see an optomistrist for a week or two before going to see an optholmogist. Think of it this way, an optomistrist is a sight Dr, an opthalmologist is an eye Dr. If you believe you have something wrong with your eyes get to the optholmologist ASAP. Go to the ER if you have to. You only get a couple of mistakes before you are blind.

And wear eye protection at the range.

Jim ,, I truly hope you will have full recovery after the transplant. Jerry Sharrett and I ,, both know some of what you're going thru. I am not shooting benchrest because of retina problems in both eyes, but mainly the right eye. I have had cataract removal in both eyes and retina surg

Hang in ther eery in both eys. If day is cloudy,, can see crosshairs & fot good enuf to shoot an orange or white dot. If sun is out ,, I cant make out crosshair, dot or rings on BR target
OTE]

Hang in there Jim there are a lot of us with visual problems. Hell, I was 200/20 left eye and 80/20 right eye, corrected, when I started shooting benchrest many years ago. You learn to adapt.

Y'all do know this thread was over 8 years ago....... But I'm sure Jim appreciates the thoughts and prayers :D

:) this just shows how much we love each other in benchrest...... Checking up on each other almost a decade later :) :) we are always thinking about each other. I'm sure as much as Jim's body has been through he really does need our thoughts and prayers....... Good man he is.

Last edited:
Hang in there BIg Jim. I had an eye complication in 1970. I let it go for too long fooling with an optometrist instead of a ophthalmologist. It cost me eyesight in one eye and partial loss in the other.

and I'm going in soon to have a cataract removed by an Ophthalmologist who was the first in these parts to do laser surgery. I wondered why my one good eye was getting fuzzy.

and I'm going in soon to have a cataract removed by an Ophthalmologist who was the first in these parts to do laser surgery. I wondered why my one good eye was getting fuzzy.

Same here. I went to the See by Intravision clinic in Oakville for my cataract surgery, and they claimed to be one of the first cataract and lasik eye surgery clinics in Oakville. The process went out smooth though. If you’re actually going in, follow all the pre-surgery preparation that the surgeon recommends to the letter. The process will be over smoothly before you even know it.

Same here. I went to the See by Intravision clinic in Oakville for my cataract surgery, and they claimed to be one of the first cataract and lasik eye surgery clinics in Oakville. The process went out smooth though. If you’re actually going in, follow all the pre-surgery preparation that the surgeon recommends to the letter. The process will be over smoothly before you even know it.

I saw my Opthamologist yesterday. He is going to remove a cataract in each eye, and two weeks later, ( get this) is going to install a lens in my left eye that has a huge amount of astigmatism since birth. I have gone 82 years not knowing what it is like to have good sight in that eye. Of course that means different eye wear as well. Never thought I'd be doing this at this age. Looking forward to it.

you go joe!
just remember to refocus all your scopes....

I saw my Opthamologist yesterday. He is going to remove a cataract in each eye, and two weeks later, ( get this) is going to install a lens in my left eye that has a huge amount of astigmatism since birth. I have gone 82 years not knowing what it is like to have good sight in that eye. Of course that means different eye wear as well. Never thought I'd be doing this at this age. Looking forward to it.

Back