Ever converted an old Remington wood stock from SA to LA?

VaniB

I was wondering if I had the time and patience, if I could successfully widen an open an old Remington 40X stock with a magazine well, from short action to long action. (?) I do realize I would need to do some major bedding and glassing if it was at all possible. But, I just wanted to first make sure it was ergonomically/physically possible to do it before I bought the old stock to attemp it.

I would think the time used and the end value would not make it worth it. Unless you are realy ambitious, have a lot of spare time, and have little money, an H-S Precision stock would probably be a better choice.

The 40X stock will be used as a skeleton. I'm planning on a multi month project that will require radical reshaping involving the appliocation of autobody composites. It will be reshaped to a totally different contour.My problem is that I would need a varmint shape stock in long action to work with, and most meaty "varmint" stocks are in short action.
A used $200 HS stock is a waste of $200 if a $75 stock will tear up just as well. I've actually seen old 40x stocks selling for less the $75 in the past.

So.....same question; Has anybody actually ever done this? Logically it seems that it can be physically done, but was just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. For example; if the lug cut-out ends up having to be bei moved forward where there is not enough wood to support it, that would pose a major problem.

Last edited:
I have attached a picture of a short action and long action 700 stock side by side, hope this helps.
Numrich arms has used 40X stocks for under $50 that need refinishing.

Attachments

• stocks 004.jpg
    stocks 004.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 405
Thanks Kansas,

I didn't think of checking Numerich until you mentioned it. I did just finish checking their websight to find 75% of 40X parts listed as "out of stock".....and not a single used stock to be found in ANY configuration with them.....not rimfire, not SA, and not the LA that I could use .....nadda. I'm actually glad that they had nothing because I had already purchased a SA 40X stock from GunBroker about 3 hours earlier!

I will say that I don't come accross 40x stocks being offered very often anywhere whether it be GB, Ebay, or etc. And when I do happen to find one, it is usually short action or a rimfire stock. I have never seen a used 40X long action stock ever offered anywhere. (I've only seen the whole 30-06 and 300WinMag rifles offered which are rarer and more expensive comodities)

I just finished buying this stock pictured below for $40 plus $15 shipping on GB. I would have preferred to be starting with a long action for this 7mmMag project rifle, but at this price this SA stock is at such a low investment starting price, that I'm sure I saved enough money to buy all the auto-body putty and glass cloth I need to reshape the stock into a custom configuration that I have in mind.

When the rifle is built, I'll let you come over and do the honors of pulling off the first 7mmMag shot in it. If you end up going home with some composite chunks tangled in your hair, I'll know to start with a better fitting LA stock next time, and leave auto-body putties for collision repair shops. :D

pix598136690.jpg

pix851611329.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Randall

PS Just kidding. I expect to have a nice looking and fully operational custom stock when I'm done.

Last edited:
Look what they just finished bidding $155 + $16 shipping for at another websight. It's unfinished to the degree that it was listed as being able to be made into a SA or LA stock. (That gray filler is some kind of work that somebody had already done to it) Yes, it's a nice wood grain, but requires a lot of work. Now THAT would have been one piece of expensive wood for me to have purchased just to glass over! LOL

IMG_6970.jpg

[/IMG]
!B9EY57!BWk~$(KGrHqJ,!ioEzNs53FIlBM4up+4QUQ~~0_12.JPG

IMG_6971.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

Last edited:
I was under the impression that all 40X rifles were in short action. I had two different 25-06's in 40X and they were both short action. I could eject an empty case but to eject a loaded round I had to hit the bolt release to pull the bolt back further.

The 40X on gunbroker is a lot newer than mine were, mine were mid 70's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that all 40X rifles were in short action. I had two different 25-06's in 40X and they were both short action. I could eject an empty case but to eject a loaded round I had to hit the bolt release to pull the bolt back further.

The 40X on gunbroker is a lot newer than mine were, mine were mid 70's.

Ahhhh....isn't that very interesting!! I know little about these rifles, and what you and Steve Nash say about them always being a SA (even when chambered for a normally LA cartridge) might very well be the case. This especially now makes even more sense to me being that I have seen photos of some of these stocks having been notched out at the top so the bolt can be pulled all the way back. I have not observed Remington to do this notched butt routine with any of their other rifles.

Can you imagine had I decided to purchase a 25-06 or 300Win Magnum 40X from GunBroker with the assumption that I could obtain an LA stock this way, and then just sell off the action. That would have been an enlightening and unpleasant surprise. Thanks for the input. As they say; ya live and learn.

If you are like me; you aren't going to live long enough to learn everything you need to know.

Good luck with your project.

Back