eric johnson guns

Eric Johson Barreled Rifle

" Louie M.: I found your Johnson barrel in his shop notes; on the last page, after having started the search on the first, so it was one of the last barrels he made (September, 1951).

It was shipped on September 12 to Frank K. Eichter, 87-25 62nd Road, Rego Park, NY. (It's in Queens on the Long Island Expressway) Johnson lists the action (No. 0145) as being a BSA International, which is different than the 12/15, but it's the only Martini with that serial number listed among his notes.

Since many of Johnson's barrels also were ordered by Al Freeland for his International action, that hooked buttplare probably is a Freeland.

If you want, I can try to find some Freeland catalog pages that show his rifles and the buttplate and send them along to you.
I'll send you a copy of the shop note listing.
Rudi Prusok, ASSRA Archives, ".

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...num=1205209082

J.P. aka: Louie.M

Just revisited this thread.

I'm sorry about the missing photos I previously posted.
I was clearing out my " Photobucket Account " & didn't realize it was also deleting my posted forum photos :confused:
IMG_3424_edited-1.jpg

Martini 12/15 : Eric Johnson Barrel
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91104

L.M.

Last edited by a moderator:
oz

i wish you would stop posting pictures of that beautiful gun now i wont be able to sleep!!!

best regards

bob

I hope resurrecting this old thread isn't poor posting etiquette, but I was led to it while googling Eric Johnson barrels. Attached is his markings on a 5-star barrel on a Ray Morgan. The date is very close to a photo earlier in this thread, and the numbers and style of his stampings look identical.

Attachments

• Morgan%20Johnson%20Barrel%20Date%20(1)[1].jpg
    Morgan%20Johnson%20Barrel%20Date%20(1)[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 328
I hope resurrecting this old thread isn't poor posting etiquette, but I was led to it while googling Eric Johnson barrels. Attached is his markings on a 5-star barrel on a Ray Morgan. The date is very close to a photo earlier in this thread, and the numbers and style of his stampings look identical.

Look's like you have the original EJ barrel on that rifle, which is a rarity for a Morgan. Most have been switched out over the years. I have 2 Morgans, both of which have had the barrels replaced.
You must have posted these pictures of your rifle somewhere else in the past. I have both of these pictures in my "Morgan" file.
Steve

Look's like you have the original EJ barrel on that rifle, which is a rarity for a Morgan. Most have been switched out over the years. I have 2 Morgans, both of which have had the barrels replaced.
You must have posted these pictures of your rifle somewhere else in the past. I have both of these pictures in my "Morgan" file.
Steve

Hello Steve,

Yep, you would have pictures of the rifle.

You and I corresponded 2-1/2 to 3 years ago about it - I was (and still am) trying to find out if it was custom built for my dad He shot left-handed, and this rifle has a left-hand action.

I just yesterday connected with a gentleman in PA who has some Eric Johnson records and may be able to assist. I also corresponded 3 years ago with a gentleman in CT who found my father's name in some EJ records, but in regards to a Ballard, not the Morgan (now that I think about it, you may have given me the CT name).

So, I'm still hunting. When I found this old thread, I thought it would be interesting to show the Morgan's stamping to compare with the other one up-thread.

Larry

Larry, do you have any pictures of the entire gun? Would like to see it in its current configuration.
Steve

Hello all. I found this thread while researching Eric Johnson. There is a Winchester M52 with an Eric Johnson barrel and a Fecker scope at a local shop priced at $1200. Sadly when I first saw it it was $600 but I didn't know anything about it except that it had one of those super cool externally adjusted scopes. When I returned it had been repriced at $1200. On the back of the price tag is written: Early bbl "100", No stars, No number, 6 grooves. I have not looked at it close enough to verify this info. It appears to be in very good condition, I would like to know if I should happily pay the asking price or should I beat him down some. It's been in the shop at least 6 months. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Frank

You need to provide additional information to make a fair assessment of value. Based on the fact that barrel has no stars or numbers, rifle is most likely an early model which are less desirable, especially if it is a pre A slow lock version. You do not mention if trigger is factory or aftermarket. This could have an effect on value as well. The early triggers left a lot to be desired compared to some of the better vintage aftermarket triggers and later models with improved trigger designs. Also scope value can vary from $200 - $500 depending on condition, power etc. How about stock, original or aftermarket. That said, are you looking for a shooter or a collector rifle? Sorry to cloud the waters even more, but all these questions enter into the equation. EJ barrels do not necessarily drive the value up, and in most circumstances, probably lower value over a very nice original rifle. Based on information given, $1200 is probably at the top end of value. Probably more important is what it is worth to you.
Steve

Steve, thanks for the info. The next time I'm in the store I will have a better look at it. It would mainly be a shooter for me.

If I was going after a shooter, it would be a C or D model. They have much better triggers, and stocks are better for bench work also. For not much more money, you will get a better rifle in my opinion.
Steve

trialtoy

If I wanted the rifle I'd offer the original $600, give the guy my phone number and go home.

Eric was a Hamden CT RF barrel maker of the famous 5 Star 8 barrels.I had three.He only did RF work.He was the man also National SB Prone champion .
His barrels were 8 grooves part of the 5 * 8.

Charlie Johnson was a Lawrenceburg Ohio smith.He worked on S.S. and bolt rifles. HE was an artist with a single shot.He like Diller barrels,Dayton OH I think. :)
We are truley dimished

I can attest to the fact that Eric Johnson was a barrel maker in Connecticut. I worked with his son Carl, who was a pretty good smallbore shooter in his own rite. Carl talked about his dad. Years after Eric passed, Carl said that there were a bunch of barrels rusting in Eric's garage, but I guess they were lost to oblivion. His barrels had a very good reputation.

Back